• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Server rack as ammo cabinet?

It would meet the law as a locked container but you could break into one with something as simple as a large screw driver.

Yea I was thinking the same thing..

I would use it, though. The safe I have my ammo in could be broken into no problem with a pry bar. the whole "lock your shit up" is a bunch of bullshit anyway. If someone wants it, they are going to get it short of you spending thousands of dollars to keep it locked behind some ridiculous door.

It could work...you can add various shelves to those racks at whatever heights you choose. The downside is the keys are basically universal so anyone with similar rack can open yours up. They do offer combo lock handles that you can put in place of the standard key lock. If you have the space and true security isn't an issue then why not. Also keep in mind the doors on that model are perforated so people can see in.

Go buy a cheap wooden chest at WalMart and add a hasp and lock to it. You're done. It's meets the letter of the law and will save you about $1100 so you can go buy more ammo or a new 1911.

Does it have wheels? If so, no brainer. Even if it doesn't, it doesn't get much cheaper than FREE.

I gave away literally dozens of full-height racks at my last job, they were the wrong style for the data-center rebuild and the company would have had to pay to scrap them. Not all cabinets have universal keys. Some of my old cabinets were Medeco keyed; we couldn't find a single locksmith in the metro area who could make a copy of our only remaining key!

If you can get one with the shelves included, old 19" (or 24") network cabinets would make a great very low-security storage option for anything that is OK exposed to the open air. Keep in mind that if you can't get the shelves at a scrap price, you'll need to find them on eBay or pay upwards of $30/shelf at a supply house.

A good server cabinet has a load-bearing rating of 3,000 pounds or more.

you could probably make wooden shelves for it rather easily. Especially if it has removable sides, just put the vertical rails in the zero U space on the side :)

Back
Top Bottom