• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senior Army. It’s an idea.

The big difference in Ukraine vs Russia is it's almost completely lacking the air and naval portion of war. It certainly highlights a lot of dangers that everyone would face however.
if USA would ever try to attack a country with proper anti-air defences, it would also very quick stop the air portion of war, after first 100-200 aircrafts shot off the sky.

the reality is - costs of the air force today is such that it only can be used in a conflict that guarantees that not a single aircraft will be damaged by the enemy.
and that brings back - what - trenches.

if USA would ever try to attack a country with proper anti-air defences, it would also very quick stop the air portion of war, after first 100-200 aircrafts shot off the sky.

the reality is - costs of the air force today is such that it only can be used in a conflict that guarantees that not a single aircraft will be damaged by the enemy.
and that brings back - what - trenches.
I'm not so sure. The US has put a lot of effort into dealing with AA systems since the 90s. The F35 is a thing for a reason also as is the new stealth bomber. Plus all our other stand off systems.

We can cut 2 M's off of that and issue you a M-14. Would that help?
Not as light as a M16 for sure but a hell of a battle rifle. In Vietnam sniper teams being 1, the shooter and 2,the spotter utilized the M14 for the spotter. The spotter usually being a sniper too, would utilize the M14, with its superior fire power if the SHTF for the team. Teams had been known for holding down entire companies of NVA troops. They just didn't dare to move.

The big difference in Ukraine vs Russia is it's almost completely lacking the air and naval portion of war. It certainly highlights a lot of dangers that everyone would face however.
I agree, but I also think that will be the case in a peer/near peer war. AA defenses will take out much of the air power and cruise missles and subs will take out naval power in the opening days of any war.

Russia tried to use it’s air force and got smashed. Same with Ukraine. Just like armor, AA tech has reached the point where even stealth won’t help much. How many F22’s are operational? How many F35’s? Every conflict for the last 60+ years we’ve had air superiority. Korea was more of an even match and WWII was a shit show until Japan and Germany’s industrial production and pool of trained pilots were exhausted.

The norks can't be that far in front on rate of repro
Norks: 1.82 and steady
USA: 1.64 and gradually falling
SK: 0.84 and falling fast. Yes thats a zero

USA was steady at 2.0 for several decades so the current rate is mildly concerning. 0.84? It's so over for SK.

Only until the next major wartech upgrade... since small/man-portable drones have become mainstream tools of war, anti-drone and anti-electronic warfare will be the next major push. Then we'll be back to maneuver war since everyone is stuck today afraid to move on the battlefield. Welcome to WWI and trench warfare.
I think low cost mass produced APS will become a thing in the near future.

I also think the trench warfare is mostly due to the geography and other particularities of the current war in Ukraine. Other parts of the world could look much different if a war happened today.

It will be super interesting to see how it pans out. There are currently 2 outstanding problems right now

-Anti tank technology has signigiantly outpaced armor protection systems. This is sorta similiar to what we saw in the 1960's where armor designers said f*** it and we ended up with small MBTs for a generation. Then armor systems were able to overcome the problem and we ended up with the much larger MBT's of the 70's to now. Now its finally swung back the other way. Problem is this time the weight of the MBTs is already insane, so adding additional systems to handle missiles while also having enough armor to stop traditional rounds will be a tough problem to solve without being overweight.

-Anti drone tech. It'll be a tricky one. anti drone jamming works now but it's a bullseye for anti radiation systems, so it's sorta a death sentance for the people using them against enemies with modern missile tech. Using things like the Geopard is super cool (and I still find it amazing that anyone ever thought those systems were outdated, they never were) but they can't be everywhere as they are super expensive and are also pretty easy to kill with shit like idirect fire. Maybe lasers will be the answer? Or a combination of everything?

I have no clue. All I know is I'm happy I'm not on the ground to deal with it. When I was in in the mid 00's drones werent a thing really. Plus the people we were looking for didn't have much more than small arms so we always had overmatch over them. And if we had an ounce of worry about our saftey we'd call in Apache's. I had it very easy and I'm thankful for that.

-I'm of the mind that tanks and armor are just cavalry the same as it's been for centuries. High mobility high firepower with some protection. They never should have been conceived of as near-invincible. They still give you a capability that no other battlefield unit does. But I think you are right, and MBTs will get smaller / cheaper unless APS systems actually come to fruition.

In a hypothetical US war in eastern europe that somehow doesnt go nuclear (I find all of this extremely unlikely, but bear with me), most likely all satellites get knocked out. Russia has very good air defense, and it becomes a lot harder to target without satellite data. You can't exactly sail a navy right up to Russia, geography being what it is. Good old fashioned brutal ground war it is.

All around a bad idea.

There is no such thing, lol. At best it's an annoyance, we've been blowing up AA batteries since time eternal.

Captain Jerry A Trix, in charge.
Trix are for kids.
If they are claiming it took 3 shots I don't believe that.
Article said they dropped down after the 2nd shot. At 2+ miles, they wouldn't hear the shot at first. 2nd, even trained humans can be surprised by the unexpected. I was shot at once. Even though firing was going on at the time, the whiz of the bullet going past was a surprise. It took a second before I dropped to the ground and crawled out of there.

”But it also has more profound ambitions as a solution to the effects of South Korea’s dismal fertility rate, which, as the lowest in the world, has spurred fears that the military will soon struggle to fill its ranks.”[/i}

Hmmm… I wonder if NK has figured out how to put something in the water to drop SK fertility rates. A few generations later, problem solved.

My BIL brother was rejoining the Guard after having been out for over 10 years. He is single and hits the gym twice a day.
They made him do boot camp again at 45. When he got to boot camp they thought he was not going to make it. Instead he ran circles around not only the other recruits but also the DS.

Back
Top Bottom