Selling with an expired LTC permit

If you ask for an FA-10 there is a distinct chance that they will have no idea what you are talking about. Make sure you specify that it's the one that says, "Firearms Sale/Rental/Lease Transaction Form"
It took several different explanations for my local PD to figure out what I needed.

Cross-X said:
Try any other police department. You don't have to be a resident in order to ask for a copy of that form.

I went to North Attleboro, Attleboro, and Plainville PD and none of them had a form. North even told me to go to see Ted and get an FA-10. Though dealers have different forms that we do...

So, I just called the CHSB and asked them to send me some, the guy asked, "How many?" I told him I didn't care, 4 or 5, I got an envelope with about 10 in there in two days.

FWIW, I got a pistol from the widow of a long deceased friend. "Found in a dresser drawer"
I filled out the FA10 as a registration and sent it in, no problem. I'm reasonably certain that the Rulers would rather see the gun "papered", in responsible (licenced) hands, than waiting for an unreported theft or sold on the black market.
I'd be interested, however, to hear if anyone who has registered a firearm in MA has ever been contacted by the FRB to expain where the gun came from.

Left the seller info blank , marked box for "registration".
It would seem that since the state has no intention of ever removing a firearm from your "record", they have an abiding lack of interest in where it might have originated.
The system is far too disorganized to provide any useful information, except for possible future confiscation.
This is one case where having the system managed by thoroughly disinterested public employees works in our interest.

JackO said:
Jhrosier,
So what did you put in FA-10 for the seller / previous owner?

If you read the instructions printed on the "civilian FA-10" (non-existent for the dealer FA-10), it tells you to leave the SELLER area BLANK on a "registration" . . . something that I've told folks to do on out-of-state purchases of long guns or C&R mail-order purchases for years and years!

LenS said:
it tells you to leave the SELLER area BLANK on a "registration" . . . something that I've told folks to do on ... C&R mail-order purchases for years and years!
Well that answers the question I asked Milsurps 4 Me. I'd rather not tell the state where I make my C&R purchases unless I absolutely have to, even though it is clearly recorded in my bound book.

Sorry Len, it's not clear to me. If I buy a long gun from a reputable dealer in, say, NH, why can't I put his name as a seller on my FA-10 registration? Another way, why would it be better to leave the seller info blank?

LenS said:
If you read the instructions printed on the "civilian FA-10" (non-existent for the dealer FA-10), it tells you to leave the SELLER area BLANK on a "registration" . . . something that I've told folks to do on out-of-state purchases of long guns or C&R mail-order purchases for years and years!

JackO said:
Sorry Len, it's not clear to me. If I buy a long gun from a reputable dealer in, say, NH, why can't I put his name as a seller on my FA-10 registration? Another way, why would it be better to leave the seller info blank?

Reasons:

1. The instructions tell you NOT to put this info on the form.
  2. Providing that info could be a "red flag" for the AG to go after sellers (FFLs) from other states.
  3. Since MA does NOT recognize a C&R FFL but it's legal for a C&R FFL holder to buy from a private party if it is a C&R gun (even handgun) in another state, you may get "special attention" and accused of a crime you didn't commit and required to spend your money defending yourself.
  4. I can NOT think of one good thing that would come of doing this!

Okay, I lied, but one more question. The person I'll be buying the two shotguns from had an LTC but let it expire, and has no record of what the number of the LTC was. Should I identify them and just leave the license number field blank?

By the way, th CHSB was happy to send me FA-10s in the mail. The person I spoke to said I should be receiving them in two or three days.

FA-10 Registrations

Very interesting commentary. To add my own experience to the pot, I acquired a M41 in 6/98 from an older individual who did not have/could not find his LTC. IIRC, I put his name and addr on the FA-10 (I would have to find my old records to verify this) and sent in the form. My thinking at that time was that the state was more concerned with knowing who has the gun now. Have heard nothing for these many years. Has the time expired for liability???

What seems inconsistent to me is that a person can keep his firearms/long guns and ammo in his home during a grace period but can do nothing else.

Arioch said:
Okay, I lied, but one more question. The person I'll be buying the two shotguns from had an LTC but let it expire, and has no record of what the number of the LTC was. Should I identify them and just leave the license number field blank?

By the way, th CHSB was happy to send me FA-10s in the mail. The person I spoke to said I should be receiving them in two or three days.

I got the FA-10s in the mail yesterday. [grin]

Here's the definitive answer from Chief Ron Glidden:

I checked with CHSB. You need an active LTC to sell in a private sale. You could sell or transfer to a dealer if you had an expired LTC or no LTC. The case Darius called Cosmo on was according to CHSB a set of unique circumstances for a specific case and was not intended for general information. The bottom line regardless of what was said or whether there was a misunderstanding, you need an active LTC to do a private transfer. This was confirmed by CHSB.

Back
Top Bottom