Selling a pistol/revolver out of state.

I searched the internet until my eyes pretty much bled regarding this issue. I can't find a straight answer.

If I wanted to sell a handgun to an out of state FFL holder do I have to do anything as far as the DPS here? As far as I know I just need a copy of his FFL. Right? And ship him the gun? [thinking]

If I wanted to sell a handgun to an out of state FFL holder do I have to do anything as far as the DPS here? As far as I know I just need a copy of his FFL. Right? And ship him the gun? [thinking]

What type of FFL does the buyer hold? FYI a C&R license is considered an 03 FFL license.

Be careful out there.

Best,

Rich

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Assuming you are not a FFL holder: You need to go through a CT dealer, PERIOD! If you transfer a handgun from CT to an out of state FFL, you will be okay federally and a felon in CT. The law requires you to get an authorization #, etc. Call the Spec. Licensing and Firearms unit and ask them any questions you have before you do anything you are not sure about.
Reagrds.

You can call SLFU but i would not depend on them for legal advice..

I have seen CT residents selling handguns in VT/NH/Mass (to FFL's)...I know people who have mailed them to out of state FFL's for sale...all without ever notifying the DPS..because the sale did NOT happen in CT...if anyone knows the law that says this is illegal please point it out...

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-33.htm

Last edited:
The 29-33 statute requires an authorization #, DPS 3s, and the affidavit form (forgot form #). If you don't do it, its a violation, period. If you [try to] do it, your transfer will be denied. Been there, done that.... don't transfer a handgun out of state w/o using a CT FFL, state statute does still apply to you (per SLFU) End of story. Goodnight.

It is so easy to go through the DEP for the sale that I would just do it.
Fill out the DPS 3, put the FFL dealer number on it where it asks for permit etc, give them a call and in less than 5 minutes you will have a transfer number - why risk it.

If the state really thinks this they are crazy...Should i call them from Vermont to tell them I am about to sell a handgun to an FFL in Vermont? they are going to tell me they don't care..Is the DPS going to arrest me if i possess an "evil" AK-47 in New Hampshire??? Better yet what if i bought one there but kept it at a home of mine in NH?..I wonder if they would come arrest me...I am not not trying to be a smart ass I just think its silly to think people aren't selling guns to out of state FFL's on a daily basis in CT....

I believe that care because they want to account for where these handguns are / who owns them. Also, it is an issue of accountability if one becomes the subject of a protectice or restraining order and has to surrender thier firearms. I was, at one point, under the impression that I did not have to deal with the sate if transfering a gun to an FFL out of state; I was worng..

The 29-33 statute requires an authorization #, DPS 3s, and the affidavit form (forgot form #). If you don't do it, its a violation, period. If you [try to] do it, your transfer will be denied. Been there, done that.... don't transfer a handgun out of state w/o using a CT FFL, state statute does still apply to you (per SLFU) End of story. Goodnight.

Under the Supremacy clause in article VI, paragraph 2 of the constitution, provides that the constitution and federal laws override any conflicting provisions in the state constitution or state laws.

Back
Top Bottom