Sell or No Sell? - STG 58 FAL Parts Kit

USMA-82

NES Member
Let's say a certain MA resident bought an STG-58 FAL parts kit from DS Arms several years ago, after hearing that the Gov't was banning all future importation.

Given the current Obamamania, said resident could nearly double his money if he sells the kit at the current market prices. However - he'll probably never see one like this again, especially if the AWB we are anticipating shows up.

There is, of course the option of buying a receiver and having another FAL built by a qualified gunsmith, resulting in.... another FAL!

So - opinions please. Hang onto the kit for dear life, or sell and buy up some more mags and ammo for his existing FAL?

PS: if this certain resident decides to sell, it will be offered on this forum first, and then sold at the Marlboro Show this weekend if unsold.

I'd build the thing out and keep it.

I'd only sell it if you -needed- the money for something else.

-Mike

i have a DSA STG 58 FAL 18", awesome rifle!!,.. build it up soon, or you'll be kickin yourself if ya dont!!

This is so true.

I think I have 4 and I just bought 2 new DSA receivers just to make sure I have more options.

I plan to build a pistol out of one of them soon.

+1

ETA: sorry I forgot to leave my Opinion, How rare an error of me.

KEEP IT, Build it.

One can never have too many FALs

Last edited:
In both cases - keeping the kits will cost you - you need to get the receivers, 922R parts, mags, etc. now before they disappear. Selling the kits will give you more ammo/mags/whatever. Sell now, and you can feed your existing stuff.

The real question, to me, is how badly do you want an AK clone and a STG-58? Is your existing FAL already on your 'never sell' list? Would you rather convert your FAL to an STG 58 with the parts kit, and sell the pieces? Would owning 2 functionally identical rifles look like a waste of resources to you, or an excellent backup?

Would you like a kit AK better than an actual SAR-1? Would you like it better if you built it on an 80% receiver, making it a real home brew project? There's more than enough information on doing that available, and it's a relatively easy project. I've been getting parts together for that, myself.

I would keep both kits, and start building if it were me. But I'm something of an accumulator when it comes to guns. [smile]

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom