Self-Defense Shooting in MA that DID NOT Result in Prosecution/Loss of LTC

I've been scouring the internet for cases of self-defense shootings in MA that did not result in prosecution and/or the victim losing his or her LTC, but can't seem to find anything other than the cases at MGH and the Taunton Mall. However, in both incidents the shooters were off duty law enforcement (Boston special and Plymouth County deputy, respectively). More recent cases of "bad shoots" (in the eyes of police or the DA's office) were the Chicopee case where the homeowner shot a teenager pounding on his door through a glass pane, and the road rage case in Quincy that was publicized on QPD's Facebook page--the shooter's LTC and weapons were seized, but AFAIK he was not charged with a crime, and I haven't heard anything about that case since.

Are defensive gun uses in Mass just not that common, or does the media ignore/sweep under the rug good shoots because it doesn't fit the anti-2A narrative in this state? It seems every week I'll read about a self-defense shooting from pro-2A places like Texas, Florida, or the mid-western states, but my understanding is that random violent crimes like robberies and home invasions also tend to be more common in those areas.

What are your thoughts on this?

There was the Fitchburg Craigslist guy (laptop sale, guy tried to pay with fake money, pulled a bb gun, got popped by LTC holding seller). That hit the news cycle for a day or two. He didn't lose his LTC over that incident.

There was the Fitchburg Craigslist guy (laptop sale, guy tried to pay with fake money, pulled a bb gun, got popped by LTC holding seller). That hit the news cycle for a day or two. He didn't lose his LTC over that incident.

I came to say this. I talked to him on a FB group a while back. I believe it took him a while to get his firearm back, but ended up getting it.

There was a DJ on one of the streets in Mission Hill behind the Longwood Medical Area which fought off a home invasion (goons were after very expensive audio equipment), with an AR15 no less, and somehow didn't lose his LTC or get hit with the Boston AWB ordinance.

Know him well. I've been in there plenty and we talk about politics, guns etc. Ive asked him about it. He has shown me the Glock he carries and I've shown him my carry guns. Good guy. The store is tiny, was like a seven foot shot He practically lives at that place.

Arlington woman in 2002.
A terrified Arlington woman shot an unarmed intruder through the neck when he barged into her home yesterday afternoon and ignored her warnings to run while he could, police said.

``She warned him a couple of times to leave or she'd shoot him, but he continued to advance on her,'' Arlington police Lt. John Serson said.

``At one point he reached for the waistband of his pants. She was in fear for her life and fired one round into his neck.''

The woman, who police did not identify, lives on Silk Street. Her neighborhood was plagued by a rash of home and commercial break-ins over the weekend, police said.

The alleged intruder, Brian Driscoll, 22, of Arlington, who Serson said is known to police, was in critical condition following surgery last night at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Neither he nor the woman were immediately charged in connection with the 3 p.m. incident. Driscoll called police for help after fleeing to a relative's apartment on nearby Fremont Street.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-105529.html

I came to say this. I talked to him on a FB group a while back. I believe it took him a while to get his firearm back, but ended up getting it.

Ya, i think that was David Webb. Poor bastard had to lay low and off the radar for like a year before it was all over.

I keep a copy of the MA general law chapter 269 section 12E on my safe and in my wallet. 12E (a)is an exception to the prohibition for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling or building in use. The exception is, "THE LAWFUL DEFENSE OF LIFE AND PROPERTY" There are more exceptions listed too.

It can beat getting cuffed and locked up.

Ya, i think that was David Webb. Poor bastard had to lay low and off the radar for like a year before it was all over.

Except he didn't do that (lay low). Last I checked the ATF was pursing Manufacturing without a license and the State was investigating the massive amount of FA10 transfers he registered. But that has nothing to do with the legality of his shoot, just with the amount of stupid in his head.

Last edited:
I keep a copy of the MA general law chapter 269 section 12E on my safe and in my wallet. 12E (a)is an exception to the prohibition for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling or building in use. The exception is, "THE LAWFUL DEFENSE OF LIFE AND PROPERTY" There are more exceptions listed too.

It can beat getting cuffed and locked up.

The cops aren't going to read it and you'll still get cuffed and stuffed. You get to spout off law in court not by the side of the road or in your house when they come for you.

The cops aren't going to read it and you'll still get cuffed and stuffed. You get to spout off law in court not by the side of the road or in your house when they come for you.

That's assuming they don't no-knock swat raid your house and shoot you in the back of the head with an M4 while you're lying face down with an officer's knee in your back. [rolleyes]

I had forgotten that one. In the pool??? Guess that thing got re-lined. Ewwww.

As far as why we don't hear of it:

1. New England is a pretty safe place to live. Versus Houston or Miami or something.

2. The media leans left. So they don't report a successful victim-defensive-shooting as a heroic thing. It just gets swept under the rug.

3. I'd venture to guess our % of guns and carry permits are lower in this AO. So less opportunity even when there is crime.

It's a rare unicorn that the media doesn't want to mention is the short answer.

Back
Top Bottom