Seattle PD releases bodycam video from Melrose Ave ‘officer involved’ shooting

commodon

NES Member
Seattle is making the news yet again, but not for its homelessness and rampant drug use...

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Seattle Police have released new details and officer-worn bodycam footage from the incident on Melrose Ave Tuesday night in which a reportedly suicidal man carrying a gun opened fire and was shot by officers.

The video shows a tense scene outside a Melrose Ave apartment building where the 37-year-old can be seen leaving the building carrying a pistol and later is confronted by police as he holds the weapon. “Go ahead and shoot me,” the man appears to say. “Nobody wants to shoot you,” an officer yells back. “I just want to talk to you but I can’t talk to you with a gun in your hand.” As the officer trying to negotiate with the man yells “Do not point that gun at me,” a single shot rings out followed by a barrage of bullets as officers returned fire.

The man sustained serious injuries in the shooting and was taken to Harborview for surgery but we do not know his condition. SPD says his injuries are considered non-life-threatening. He has not yet been charged.

The officers involved in the shooting were not identified by SPD. Officers are generally placed on paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Back
Top Bottom