Searching for a Club in the Southcoast Area

Hi all, I just received my LTC and me and my father are now in search for a club to call home. I was hoping some members here could give me a little information on some clubs in the New Bedford area. I'm looking for a club that has a variety of ranges(indoor and out) most importantly a good trap shooting range. I've visited the gun club listings but most sites seem a little out of date and need some much needed TLC.

If anyone has more info on the club in Somerset i would appreciate it as well!

Thanks
-Brandon

I belong to Somerset.

They have a website. No indoor range. Outdooor ranges to 300 yards.

Two trapfields, one lit. Open two nights a week and three days a week for trap.

Can see an officer for an application. Do you know anyone there?

New Bedford has a club, Copituit, Fall River, Sippican in Rochester, Rumford though limited membership, are some in the area. Also East Warren in RI. Limited amount have indoor ranges, if is a must. New Bedford Rod & Gun has one, in N Dartmouth. New Bedford Rifle & Revolver. Achushnet Rifle & Pistol.

Fall River is having internal problems and not shooting trap like they used to.

Dana

The city of new bedford runs a range on Woodcock road in South Dartmouth... I THINK the cost to join is 20 dollars for city residents. Go to the New Bedford City site, link to Police department, and there you will find information on the range .

Hi,
Rod & Gun of New Bedford. In North Dartmouth. No Trap at this time. Rifle range and indoor pistol, several Pistol ranges

http://rodgun-nb.org/

Sippican Rod & Gun in Rochester. Trap, covered 100 yard rifle, covered 75 yard plinking range, covered 25 yard pistol. No Indoor

http://sippican.org/

Copicut Rifle Association N Dartmouth/Fall River 100,200,300 Yard Rifle Range, Pistol range.

http://www.copicutrifleassociation.org/index.htm

High Hill Fox & Coon club N Dartmouth I don't know much about this club. I believe they have Trap and Rifle.

Right, I listed ones with indoor. You have to do the work and check who really has indoor range and trap.

You have to ask around too as indoor ranges have caliber limits, and some cliubs have more limiited shooting times for trap.

Dana

Ah thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Right now we are looking at: Fall River Rod & Gun Club Sippican Rod & Gun Club, Inc. Taunton Rifle & Pistol Club and Wankinquoah Rod & Gun Club(I know they don't have trap fields and its little hike but we are going to check it out anyways) Dana, Thanks for the info about Fall River, it was one of the clubs we were leaning towards. What are the applications costs/Initiation Fees as well as the yearly fees? I'm looking for a club that has pretty free trap shooting times, anyone know the time restrictions of the clubs I listed?

Brandon, I don't want to knock a club. I will tell you Fall River used to be big. Infighting, range problems, they shoot much less trap now. And they have some sporting clays going, which is much more expensive. You have to really check what is posted at clubs versus what they really shoot week after week.

I can tell you Somerset shoots as posted unless weather stops them or if not enough show up. They do trap Mon and Wed night, 6-8PM. Wed afternoon after noon. Sat around 12:30 for couple hours, Sun 10AM for couple hours. One field is lit as mentioned.

Wankinquoah I have visited this spring as they were building their indoor range. If you do want trap, you said it isn't there as well. Wankinquoah is a ride but people do it. Is off Rt 28 South Miiddleboro.

Somerset is $100/yr, $50 initiation, $25 legal fund for first year, then just member fee after. First year member has to do 10 hour work, and it is easy to get done. Trap is currently $2.50 member, $3 non-member. Few clubs are cheaper. Can do trap without being a member and pay more at clubs.

At Somerset as mentioned, you need to see an officer and get an application, have a sponsor. Then there are two consecutive readings of the application at monthly meetings. The applicant doesn't have to be at the first reading.

You have to visit or call other clubs, my suggestion, versus just reading what they post for times. Or see their sites, or the list at Goal's site.

Dana

Dana thanks for information again, I understand about not wanting to tarnish a club's reputation, but the insight is helpful.

One of the main reasons for posting here is to get some information from people who belong or belonged to the clubs. I know the websites are not always kept up to date and not all information is posted on them, Like new member requirements and some application processes.

My old boss is a member at Wankinquoah so we figured it doesn't hurt to check the facilities out, from what I have heard about their indoor range it should be pretty good.

Is anyone a member of Copicut Rifle Association? Their website says it is a private association with limited membership, is it a hard club to get into?

The new range there is nice. Saw it to update our plans at Mansfield Fish & Game. We looked at various new or improved ranges.

Copicut says they are accepting.

You can wait for a member or ex-member, and you can contact someone liisted at the clubs.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom