• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SD card - cant delete

I pulled an SD from my trail cam this morning and have files to delete. I can't delete any files using my macbook, but portable card reader can delete them just fine. Anyone have any idea why this might be, or if theres a way to fix this? If I have to just delete them on the card reader then so be it, its just a pain having to go into each individual file to delete it rather than highlight all/delete.

I pulled an SD from my trail cam this morning and have files to delete. I can't delete any files using my macbook, but portable card reader can delete them just fine. Anyone have any idea why this might be, or if theres a way to fix this? If I have to just delete them on the card reader then so be it, its just a pain having to go into each individual file to delete it rather than highlight all/delete.

The format of the card is not fully supported by the Mac. The only common one I know of that's RO on Mac's is NTFS and linux ext(n) file systems, the former of which is a HIGHLY odd choice for a trail cam to support, the latter is likely a result of it being an ARM cpu.

What I would do is check if the trail cam can format disks. If so, format it. See if it continues to be RO on the mac. If it does, format it using disk utility on the mac (be careful to format the right drive...) to be FAT (which is really Win95's exFAT) and then see if the trail cam can read and write to it. If so, you are done. If not, format the card in the trail cam and oh well. But I am betting the trail cam can read exFAT, it may just prefer to use NTFS or linux ext(n).

PS: If you are not comfortable dealing with technology, don't do the above. There is a risk you screw something up.

Thanks! I'll don't think my cam can format discs. I'll give the disc utility a try and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

format the card in the trail cam and oh well.
I agree -- this is the best option, if the camera can format the card, do this.

I usually format the card instead of deleting the individual files (avoids corrupted cards, which is a real issue with many trail cameras). On a Mac you'd need to take care to ensure that the filesystem is one the trail camera can handle.

Back
Top Bottom