Delete

If I'm not mistaken, at MB the best place to park is right there at the range area. Lots of fields and when they release the pheasants many of them will probably be in that area. I've never hunted it, but I know it will get heavy pressure as soon as the season opens.

My advice, based on personal experience in the WMDs is to wear eye protection. Seriously, there are lots of hunters out there and you're definitely going to get a lead rain at some point - mostly harmless as it comes down unless it gets your eye.

Just walk along the vehicle roads and pop off onto the many tote rods that lead into the woods. Criss cross the fields walking a bit and stopping a bit - whatever might be lurking will get spooked and try to escape. Hopefully it tries to fly away instead of running through the brush. Wash and repeat.

If you're hunting martin burns you'll know where to park by the other 50 cars parked in the lot/road (it gets really crowded). You can also take the road to the left at the fork and go all the way back and park on the road the power lines run along but not in between the two spots. Basically if there's not already cars parked don't go thinking you're on to something new, you're probably in a no parking spot. As for trails... there are some main ones you'll see now but more will get beaten down as the season goes on but you kinda have to go off trail to find the birdies. You should have briar pants and thick canvas jacket so the thorns dont get ya.

Thanks guys. I have briar proof clothing from my work. Weekdays not "as" busy? I took a walk around today and all i saw were some kids smoking in the woods. Seems to me that the majority of the time I go there, I run into some kids up to no good

Like all WMA, traffic picks way up come pheasant season. Martin Burns is one of the more heavily hunted places in the state I believe. I believe it is stocked 3 times a week. Good luck out there

martin burns is a sea of orange hats during pheasant season. crane pond too. my son and i gave up on pheasant last year. hunted other small game squirrels and rabbit and had some success. at least squirrel and rabbits are not stocked so my boy felt like it was more of a natural challenge.

Thank you again everyone. Are all of the birds gone by the second day after stocking? For example, if an area is stocked Monday night, is it worth hunting a Wednesday morning? or would they all be gone by that point?
At that point if theres anything left they've been pushed out of the fields into the wood and thick stuff and very tough to find without a dog.

Back
Top Bottom