SCSA News - Somerville’s Dandini Wins Open Rimfire Title At Speed On Steel Match

This is an official press release from SCSA.

SteelChallengeNews2.jpg

Somerville’s Dandini Wins Open Rimfire Pistol Title At 2008 Speed On Steel Championships

SEDRO-WOOLEY, WA — Paul Dandini of Somerville, Massachusetts, finished first, second and third at the World Class Steel’s Speed On Steel Championships which were held June 13-14 at the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club in Old Bridge New Jersey. Dandini took first place capturing the Speed Shooting title in the Open Rimfire pistol division then finished second in the Open Revolver division and claimed third Open Pistol division.

“Once again Paul Dandini shows us why he is among New England’s top shooters. His second and third place finishes in the Open Revolver and Open Pistol divisions demonstrates he can go head-to-head against some of the top shooters in the country. His win in the Open Rimfire division proves he is one of the top shooters in the country,” said John Soltesz, the Speed On Steel Match Director.

The World Class Steel 2008 Speed On Steel Championships serves as the Northeast Regional event in the Smith & Wesson Steel Shoot Series. It is also one of the premier competitions in the sport of Speed Shooting which is governed by the Steel Challenge Shooting Association (SCSA). Both professional and amateur shooters competed for their share of over $30,000 in cash and prizes. Shooters faced seven courses of fire and the clock in the two-day event.

Courses of fire, or stages, are made up of five steel targets which are electronically timed to one one-hundredth of a second. Competitors shoot each stage five times with their slowest run eliminated. The combined time of the best runs is their score for that stage and their combined score of all seven stages is their match score.

Championships were determined in the Rimfire Iron, Rimfire Open, Revolver Iron, Revolver Open, Compact Iron, Pistol Iron and Pistol Open divisions.

- 30 -​

About the SCSA: The Steel Challenge Shooting Association (SCSA) is the governing body of the sport of Speed Shooting and organizer of the Steel Challenge World Speed Shooting Championships scheduled for Thursday through Sunday, August 14-17 in Piru, CA. To learn more about the Steel Challenge Shooting Association and the Steel Challenge visit the Web site at www.steelchallenge.com. There you will find diagrams of the stages of fire, complete listing of the 2007 results, a list of past champions and more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Congrats.

The folks in Old Bridge NJ put on a very good match.

Unfortunately for a Major Steel match the shooter turnout was very low.
Hopefully with the USPSA taking over the Steel Challenge we'll see more matches.

Hopefully with the USPSA taking over the Steel Challenge we'll see more matches.

PAUL - Do you think a Steel Challenge match at Harvard would draw? If the range doesn't have the steel we could borrow from Karl McKeever at GT Target (if we use it to raise $$ to buy steel from him for the range).

USPSA is looking to promote more SCSA matches and I'd love to see a good sized one put together in Area 7. Would it work? - PAUL

PAUL - Do you think a Steel Challenge match at Harvard would draw? If the range doesn't have the steel we could borrow from Karl McKeever at GT Target (if we use it to raise $$ to buy steel from him for the range).

USPSA is looking to promote more SCSA matches and I'd love to see a good sized one put together in Area 7. Would it work? - PAUL

Only three stages right now (steel is expensive) but http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38740

Harvard ran a "Steel Challenge" match several years ago and did a great job. I had a great time. They haven't run one since. Perhaps this is just too much as they already have a busy schedule. These matches take their toll on on the people that run them.

These matches take their toll on on the people that run them.

Especially 1 day of rain and two more of high heat and humidity, as at this year's A7.

Not to mention that killer stage in the corner (#7, IIRC), with all those targets, including activated double-swingers!

Paul you are the man!!! Congrats on this match. Looks like the practice you did last week paid off.... HAHA Keep up the great work.

Dave why weren't you mentioned in that article???

MRA has at least 3 complete GT target Steel challenge set ups. I could offer to let Harvard borrow them if a match was put together. I would also offer my help with any future match.
Rich F.

Paul you are the man!!! Congrats on this match. Looks like the practice you did last week paid off.... HAHA Keep up the great work.

Dave why weren't you mentioned in that article???

'cause nobody likes me [crying]
or maybe because I only shot good enough for 5th place in open [crying]
(well tied for 4th/5th, wonder how they're going to split that prize money if any)

I think with enough requests and offers to help out maybe Harvard would be willing to do
another SC match in 2009 (hint, hint)
Jeez, with alll the steel challenge talk that's been going on since the sale maybe they're already thinking about it (wink, wink)

Congrats Paul!

We have to be careful not to give him a big head though, I saw him yesterday morning at our Dr's office and the first thing he did was go on and on about this article about him.

If there is interest for SC at Harvard, I'm sure Chris from GT Targets will bring up what might be needed to make it happen.

Congrats Paul!

...and the first thing he did was go on and on about this article about him.

Really? [thinking] lies I tell ya...lies...

Back to having a Steel Challenge Match - there has been some talk about running one at Harvard next year - but as others have mentioned - the guys at Harvard work their a$$es off each year running matches and we don't want to burn any one out.

Maybe we should start a new thread and see who has interest in shooting and helping and look at club options - I for one would help.

BTW - In mid/late July and early August I will be setting up a few stages for practice - I'll post on this forum to see if anyone wants to try it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom