• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scrape with scat?

CdP

Hoping some of the veterans can help me out here. I found what I think is a big scrape (about ~2-3 feet long, almost arrow-head shaped) with scat at one end. I never heard about scat in a scrape, just urine. Think this is still a scrape? There is a tree branch about ~5-6 feet off the ground right over it, so I would guess so, but love to have others opinions!

Thanks all - hope you had a successful weekend. Slowly but surely, I am learning from this forum and time in the woods and eliminating my mistakes (i.e., still hunting too fast when there is little wind! Ugh!)

Next Saturday, gearing up for a nice long sit in a stand.

Five to six feet is a bit high from what I've seen for a scrape. You might have stumbled on a bed.

On the other hand if there were no leaves in the "scrape" and the area was all hardwoods and "browned out" it might have been an area we call "ferning". The deer was digging through the leaves looking for acorns or green plants to eat.

Finally became a member so now I can share a pic! Here it is. Right at edge of pine and hardwood mixed forest.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323100953.323052.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323100953.323052.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 71
X2

Turkey scratching for food is often a fan shape. Most of the time deer leave a foot print in it so if it is a scrape it should have a hoof print in it.

Bob

I find most scrapes are also either oval or egg shaped.

They leave a clean dirt bowl, usually with nothing left behind.

Thanks all

I didn't see any other footprints and no tree stands around nor anyone there on Saturday. But, there were also no hoof prints that I saw. I think I'll go to "plan c" for my time on Saturday and pass on this one.

Thanks again
CdP

Keeping my eyes on this one. Kicked some leaves over it, not sure if it's active or not still.
But there is scat in it. I'll check it out later to see....

38bf4bae.jpg

Don't think the OPs is a scrape. but I think a deer just scuffed up the ground like this one did. I watched him hoof up this spot up from 30 yards away. Never gave me a shot...
04cdaa49.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom