School paper article

That article can, generously, be referred to as sophomoric. More generally, it is a pile of pure hooey. But looking at some of the kid's other musings, his perspective is obviously loony left.

As far as a response goes, he has provided a target rich environment for you. All of what he states as fact is demonstrably false, and what he assumes is only wishful thinking. All the rest is purely stupid.

Good grief! [rolleyes]

It's hard to respond to that letter. She just gushes out random assertions and does not cite any sources. My only rebuttal would be "Whose ass did you pull all those claims out of?"

Well, of course, they could teach a course in gun safety.

This aritcle is all the same old story we keep hearing.

Reminds me of the days before discussions of safe sex were allowed in schools - discussing sex apparently caused pregnancy/promiscuity or endorsed it somehow. However, times have changed...and they will continue to change...

So, if you write a response, it can contribute to change.

my favorites were : "Also, if another tragedy does happen on a college campus, it is likely that more people will die in the crossfire of sporadic shooting than will die if there is only one gun being fired."

and...

"Locked doors can protect students against gun violence, as can blue-light systems and siren alerts"

Yes, yes, yes. Flashing blue lights and sirens a 10 minutes later will save you from a suicidal gunman! I see the light now.

Guns should be used for hunting as a sport, if people choose to do so, and nothing else. Handguns or assault weapons shouldn't be used outside of the military. War is the only necessary place to use guns - and maybe they shouldn't even be used in that case. The only thing that guns are good for is to harm or kill people.
This is from a journalism major?
Someone should buy him a Websters so he can look up contradiction.

They have an article like this about once a week, but this one is reallllllllllly interesting. This is in my school's (UConn) Campus paper. Makes me wonder what goes through some peoples minds. I will be writing a letter to the editor in response tomorrow...

http://media.www.dailycampus.com/me....Campuses.Are.No.Place.For.Guns-3338225.shtml

I'm not going to comment on the issues that the person is talking about because I think by default we all feel the same on that.

Briefly, I want to mention how much of a poor representation for UConn that student is. The article was terribly structured, poorly worded, and gave no facts or sources. If the argument was in favor of guns on campus I would be embarrassed that our side was represented in that manner. But what do you really expect from that side of the argument?

Either way, can you have your article published? Or have someone in that department publish it in the paper. If so, I think that you or someone on the other side of the argument should write a well constructed article with factual support that blows that one out of the water.

I'm constantly irritated (although no longer surprised) at the opinion stated in the comments that "I just don't like the attitude that people have where they think that more weapons are going to solve everything."

I don't think that ANYONE believes that more guns "are going to solve everything." In fact, I can't think of ANY one change that's going to solve everything. More guns certainly won't single-handedly prevent all crime, although reducing restrictions on legally carried guns will contribute to reduced crime rates and reduced numbers of victims.

The alternative that is commonly suggested - restriction of EVERYONE'S rights & freedoms, in one form or another - is certainly not the answer, no matter how the "right" or "left" would like to think it is.

Dear G-d, what an idiot.

Bambi Kumbaya-Singer said:
Guns will do more harm than good on a college campus. College is a place for learning - not self defense. People can shoot guns in the army or when they are hunting. But there is no reason to fight fire with fire. More gunfire will only escalate violence, which only leads to more violence.
Really?

Exactly HOW will one or two gunmen "escalate violence" after they've been shot dead by a law-abiding, armed student?
Guns should be used for hunting as a sport, if people choose to do so, and nothing else. Handguns or assault weapons shouldn't be used outside of the military. War is the only necessary place to use guns - and maybe they shouldn't even be used in that case.
Of course, convincing the ENEMY of this might be difficult.

The only thing that guns are good for is to harm or kill people.
Oh, dear... little Bambi has been looking a the Brady Bunch website again. Guess she's never heard of Olympic shooting events. Sorry, Bambi, but the only thing guns are good for is propelling a copper and/or lead projectile repeatably in a straight line. (well, parabola, anyway). You fail Logic 101.

If there are fewer guns around, there will be less violence.
Aw, geez, not this shit again. Honey, after you've removed your head from your ass, please go and ask the citizens of Washington, DC and Chicago, IL if that premise holds true. I'll wait.

Unfortunately, tragedies do occur, but more guns are not the answer.

Let me translate this for the reading audience: Unfortunately, tragedies do occur, but since guns make me uncomfortably aware that there are predators out there which would necessitate me having to defend myself, I think we should get rid of all guns because thinking like that makes my little lamb-brain hurt. It scares me to think that I actually may have to take responsibility for my own safety. I'd rather stick my head in the sand and scream "DADDY!!!" at the top of my lungs.

sheep.gif

a response

Having taken some graduate course work at UConn years ago (sort of an alumni), I sent her a personal email discussing some off her positions in as nice away as possible--bringing up Pearl Mississippi and Appalachia Law school. I also mentioned that her naively simplistic idea of a locked door offering protection may be helpful--if she were on the right side of that locked door.
I hope a member of NES who has a more direct affiliation with UConn writes a better, more articulate and fact laden response to her commentary to the Daily Campus for publication.

I think my girlfriends 3 yr old could write a more logical and substantiated piece of literature than this student. She says that "people are more likely to commit suicide if they have the means to do so." Boy, we should be seeing a lot more suicides happening then. People should be gasing themselves in their cars, overdosing on their prescriptions, slicing their wrists with their kitchen knives........ I mean there are atleast 1000 things in my house that I could go kill myself with right now besides my guns. I must be in a lot of trouble with that logic.

I am embarrassed for my state that our university system allows someone with that writing ability, regardless of content, to be a fourth semester journalism student. What could they have possibly been doing in Storrs for the last three semesters?

According to CNN, Utah is the only state that allows weapons at all public universities. The state of Colorado allows students to carry weapons except on the main university campus in Boulder. Also, Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia allows students with a concealed-weapons permit to be armed...

Studies have shown that an increase in the possession of guns has a direct correlation with the increase of deaths.

How about citing a study or statistics then regarding those campuses identified as allowing weapons? Wouldn't that be the most relevant if you want to cite studies? I believe the answer is there have been no negative outcomes from the carrying of firearms.

well its really late, and probably not my best work but here is my Letter to the Editor. Had to edit it a bunch to take out the attacks against the columnist, giving it some hope of being published...

I am writing in response to Alex Sanders article a few days ago about guns on campus. First I will address Alex's statement "Studies have shown that an increase in the possession of guns has a direct correlation with the increase of deaths." The truth is in states that enact shall issue concealed carry laws, crime has decreased significantly. Her argument is completely void when you take suicide out of the equation. And why is it we always blame guns for suicides? Should we not allow cars, or garages because people can kill themselves by running the car in the garage? Or maybe ban kitchen knives so no one will cut themselves? Ropes? Ban those too. Now onto a very interesting quote in the article that I cannot understand. “if another tragedy does happen on a college campus, it is likely that more people will die in the crossfire of sporadic shooting than will die if there is only one gun being fired." Can someone tell me how in the world a shooter like at VT who methodically executes his victims at point blank range, with no interruption or interference is going to do LESS damage then if one of the victims was armed and at least had a chance to stop the shooter. If you honestly think that more people would be hurt or killed if a victim had a weapon to defend himself against a mass murderer like in VT, then there is something seriously wrong with your thought process. Alex goes on to say that guns should be used for only hunting and sport, if even that. I guess she does not believe in the constitution or bill of rights. The second amendment has nothing to do with sport or hunting. Another argument suggested is that since a campus is filled with drinking and parties, then a gun could be pulled at a party and someone could get hurt. Well as anyone who knows anything about CT gun laws knows, people who already have a concealed handgun license can carry virtually everywhere besides federal buildings and courthouses, and already can carry at off campus apartments where parties are held. Yet when was the last time you heard of a license holder pulling a gun at a party? It is against the law to carry and drink, and concealed license holders follow the law. Allowing carry on campus would in no way combine drinking and guns. Alex also states that "Locked doors can protect students against gun violence, as can blue-light systems and siren alerts". Again this just makes my jaw drop. How on earth are flashing blue lights and sirens, that will go off minutes after a called is received, going to save you from a shooter that is already in your class room? Like in VT and Illinois, we saw proof that the police can not respond in time to stop these acts. When seconds count, the police or only minutes away.
In my experiences those who are dead set against allowing licensed individuals their right to carry while on campus have no experience with firearms. They are completely ignorant of firearms laws and what goes into getting a permit. Most importantly all the statistics prove their points wrong. Their opinions are completely based on an irrational fear of firearms. The truth is all public universities in Utah, and Colorado State University (at the suggestion of the school police department might I add) explicitly allow carry on campus by licensed individuals and have had ZERO incidents. It is time the rest of the country follow their lead.

Phil Adams
SCCC Representative, University of Connecticut

idiots in college

when I went to Wentworth all but 3 students were ex military.does she mean we did not know how to use a firearm.course in those days guns were favored.so much for higher education.dumb down the people seems to be the education system.[smile]

My GF showed me a recent article in Tufts Daily that is surprisingly reasonable about gun ownership. Though the author does accept the idea of restrictions on 2a on the condition that they have a positive effect on public safety, he also argues against confiscation in Katrina, seeming to accept that an armed populace is safer.

Back
Top Bottom