SBR Where Barrel is Attached to Lower Receiver.

I am looking into purchasing a SBR lower receiver for my Kriss Vector. It would be purchased on a form 4 directly from the dealer. I currently own the gun in it's rifle configuration.

If anyone has never seen the firearm before I included a link below. Note the barrel is part of the lower receiver. I want to know if it is legal to swap out my existing full length lower with my SBR lower? I can effectively have 2 different guns here which is very appealing, but not sure what the legality is.

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products/kriss-sbrso-45-acp.html

If the lower has the barrel in it and the lower is the serial #'d part then you can switch them back and forth.

Another example of this is the FNH P90/PS90. The "receiver" is the upper part that the barrel attaches too. The stock and FCG are all part of the lower. There are places that sell a new serial #'d upper that people have SBR'd so they can switch between the SBR upper and the 16" upper.

Remember that an SBR is a whole gun. There is no such thing as a SBR receiver. Don't mix your Title I and Title II definition of rifles!

--EasyD

So let's say I remove the short-barreled-lower from my upper and re-attach the long barrel. I now have a complete Kriss rifle (non-SBR) in its original configuration and...what is the other remaining lower considered? Anything?

Once a rifle, or SBR, has no barrel, it's not a rifle anymore. So, in this particular case, it would be a receiver or frame of a firearm, AKA a Title I "firearm". The fact that it's been registered as a SBR doesn't actually effect anything, except that if someone else tries to file a Form 1/2 on it, the NFA Branch might get a bit confused, so if you made a permanent change, and remove the short barrel, notifying the ATF would be a good idea.

I have no idea why people buy a second receiver for ARs, PS-90s, etc, and register one as a SBR and keep the other Title I. Its really a way to set yourself up for being accused of constructive possession. If you're worried about taking the rifle to a state that bans NFA, just put a long barrel on it, and its Title I again.

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom