• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR questions

SJan

NES Member
These questions are pertaining to a AR15 style SBR

At what point in a form 1 process is it required to have the lower engraved? Must it be done before the form 1 is approved? Before the firearm is 'manufactured'? Is there a grace period?
I'm less interested in what you may have done, as I am what is actually required, and can you provide a cite

Regarding barrel length, overall length, and caliber. We all know ARs have interchangeable everything. I understand uppers can be swapped out on a registered SBR lower, but it must be built first as stated on the form 1. Is that correct?

What if the original configuration upper is sold? Or if a different but stock is installed, changing the overall length?

I have read plenty about people doing these things, but I'm interested in the actual regulations covering this stuff.

If and when they decide to answer. I submitted a question four days before my eform 1. Got the approval today, but still no answer, lol.

These questions are pertaining to a AR15 style SBR. At what point in a form 1 process is it required to have the lower engraved? Must it be done before the form 1 is approved? Before the firearm is 'manufactured'? Is there a grace period?
Engraving must be done before it is "manufactured" as an SBR. You can have it engraved earlier. In MA this would mean you must be in possession of a short upper until after you get the lower engraved.

Regarding barrel length, overall length, and caliber. We all know ARs have interchangeable everything. I understand uppers can be swapped out on a registered SBR lower, but it must be built first as stated on the form 1. Is that correct?
That is the general understanding.

What if the original configuration upper is sold? Or if a different but stock is installed, changing the overall length?
If you "permanently" change the length (sell the original parts), you are supposed to notify BATFE.

I have read plenty about people doing these things, but I'm interested in the actual regulations covering this stuff.
Start with the NFA handbook and the NFA FAQ.

Last edited:
This was in the NFA FAQ .

[h=6]May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?[/h]Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA

Back
Top Bottom