SBR Build with new rule changes

Hey all,

Today's the day that the changes are supposed to go into affect, in regards to filing the ATF form and not needed local police chief approval. Do we know if this is actually happening? Can I start this process without bugging my 2A supporting police chief?

Update: Looks like the new form 1 is live: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/f53201applicationtomakeandregisterafirearmpdf/download
Update 2: Looks like this Form 5320.23 also needs to be filled out: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...ponsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download
appears a proof of citizenship is no longer necessary as well?
Update 3: Fingerprint card ordering site: https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form you want option 3 FD-258LE

Last edited:
You don't need his approval, you just need to notify him. Not sure what the protocol for that is, though.

You don't need his approval, you just need to notify him. Not sure what the protocol for that is, though.

How about a simple one sentence letter that says "You are hereby notified that I am filing an application with the BATFE to make a short barrelled rifle.

Signed.
Printed.

• Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) certification has been replaced with CLEO notification. The applicant on the Form 1 and the transferee on the Forms 4 and 5 shall forward a completed copy of the application to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the applicant or transferee is located. In addition, all responsible persons must also submit a completed copy of Form 5320.23, to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the responsible person resides.

New rules affect everyone. CLEO sign off no longer needed, just notification (how is described on the form) is the major change for individuals. Trusts have to submit prints and pics for everyone as well as notify every CLEO for all trustees. Some dealers now only send the notification to the highest state CLEO rather than the local CLEO.

Minus the succession in event of death and the obvious actual usage advantages of having several trust members with access to the firearm, is there any benefit anymore to filing as a trust over an individual?

Minus the succession in event of death and the obvious actual usage advantages of having several trust members with access to the firearm, is there any benefit anymore to filing as a trust over an individual?
1. You can have a trusted friend as a trustee who is able to take possession of your NFA weapons (they will also need a ma MG license if any of your toys have a giggle switch)'

2. You can bequest your weapons to a trustee and they will not have to deal with an NFA transfer.

I have an SBR arriving at the dealer tomorrow (which probably means I can take possession sometime in January), and I am using a trust specifically for the above reasons.

1. You can have a trusted friend as a trustee who is able to take possession of your NFA weapons (they will also need a ma MG license if any of your toys have a giggle switch)'

2. You can bequest your weapons to a trustee and they will not have to deal with an NFA transfer.

I have an SBR arriving at the dealer tomorrow (which probably means I can take possession sometime in January), and I am using a trust specifically for the above reasons.

wow, I didn't realize that it takes 6mo to chop a barrel down, ATF is one magical organization and I am so sad for this country [sad2]

wow, I didn't realize that it takes 6mo to chop a barrel down, ATF is one magical organization and I am so sad for this country [sad2]
The NFA registry was never intended to be used except for grandfathered guns back in 1934. The $200 transfer fee at that time was not intended to be collected, but rather, was designed to be prohibitive by a congress that considered it "obvious" they could not ban particular types of firearms.

Inflation morphed what was intended as a prohibitive tax into an annoyance and the system never really caught up.

I went to state police barracks for my last sets of finger prints.
you need your own cards, and you need to call ahead, to see
what time works for them, atleast that's how it was for me
went to barracks over by canton, just off of 128
garyz

The NFA registry was never intended to be used except for grandfathered guns back in 1934. The $200 transfer fee at that time was not intended to be collected, but rather, was designed to be prohibitive by a congress that considered it "obvious" they could not ban particular types of firearms.

Inflation morphed what was intended as a prohibitive tax into an annoyance and the system never really caught up.

I was curious so ran it through an inflation calculator and came up with that $200 in 1934 is equivalent to about $3,600 in 2016 dollars
That would be pretty prohibitive to an SBR build for sure

200.png

New rules affect everyone. CLEO sign off no longer needed, just notification (how is described on the form) is the major change for individuals. Trusts have to submit prints and pics for everyone as well as notify every CLEO for all trustees. Some dealers now only send the notification to the highest state CLEO rather than the local CLEO.

What if the trustee lives in the same town? Just one copy sent? Or one per name?

The $200 tax was to prohibit the sale with out straight up banning because back then a car was $400 and a Thompson 1921 was $200

So a $200 tax stamp for a gun when you could buy a car for $200 more back than was unheard of.

That would be like a $25000 M16 today having a $25000 tax stamp.

Last edited:
That would be like a $25000 M16 today having a $25000 tax stamp.
Actually, it would be like a $800 M16 having a $25K tax stamp - for a market price pretty close to what we have not for pre-86 transferable ARs with a giggle switch.

Back
Top Bottom