Savage or Remington?

Ok, I've been hemming and hawing over a long gun long enough!

I've decided I want a bolt action rifle for paper punching at the range. I've handled a bunch of rifles, and I think I've got it down to the following two rifles in .223:

Savage Model 12 Series Varmit Rifle with Accu Trigger
[
12fv_sa.jpg

Overall Length 46"
Barrel Length 26"
Weight 8.75 lbs
Magazine Capacity 4 rounds
Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem (1 in 9")

Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
Sights Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

Features AccuTrigger™, oversized bolt handle, blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel, with internal box magazine and swivel studs.

http://www.savagearms.com/12fv.htm

or

Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint
lgsil_700spsvarmint.jpg

Overall Length 46.5"
Barrel Length 26"
Weight 8.5 lbs
Magazine Capacity 5 rounds
Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem (1 in 12")

Newly designed SPS Varmint stock with vented beavertail fore-end
Sling swivel studs included
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

http://www.remington.com/products/f...les/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint_specs.asp

Cost is nearly identical, so not a consideration.

What do you all think?

As much as I love Remmies, I've heard that Savages are really nice. I've played with the Accu-Trigger, and it's pretty smooth. Something else to consider is the distance that you'll be shooting. The 1:9 twist on the Savage will push the heavier bullets further distances.

Either way though, you'll have a sweet rifle [wink]

Ya, I'd go with a Savage too. I don't really get the 1:12 twist with a .223

If you're mostly interested in paper punching check out Savage's laminated wood stock models too (if you like a wood stock) they're REALLY nice.

Yeah, it seems the 1 in 9" is a more versitle twist rate. I'm new to this, so any good reference on twist rate/bullet weight/accuracy is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

The 1/9 twist rate will allow you to shoot a larger variety of bullet weights accurately. The 1/12 is pretty specialized.

I don't like the ventilated stock on the Remington. Just looks like another place to gather dirt and grime. I prefer the traditional lines of the Savage, as well as the now popular accu-trigger, and Savage's reputation for accuracy and value.

The Savage, definitely. The 1-12 twist and the cost of the Remington (I've not seen one as inexpensive as the Savage) would prevent me from buying it. I've seen that Savage rifle in .308 sell for $450 locally.

The 1-12 is great for 40-55 grain bullets (varmint stuff). Those little bullets can make a bunch of holes in paper, VERY close together, but usually at 200yds or less. For longer ranges, the 1-9 is more versatile. I would prefer a 1-8 or 1-7 for heavier bullets, but not many, if any, factory rifles come with those.

The 1-9 will usually shoot 50-69 gr quite well. I've also seen them (in a Bushmaster varmint rig) shoot 75gr Hornady Ballistic tips well, but not all will do that. To shoot 77-80gr Sierra's consistently well, you want a 1-8 or 1-7. Those bullets are meant for paper at 200-600 yds.

I cannot say anything bad about Remington since I have no experiences upon which to make such a judgement. But I have owned and shot a more than a few Savages and have found them to be excellent rifles, even in stock condition. Therefore my recommendation is buy a Savage.

I have a Savage 110FLP (LE Model) with the accutrigger and it's great, left handed to boot and the price is great (not bashing Rem's). As for accuracy, since I have had mine I can get consistant 3/4" or less groups at 200yds with good reloads. I'm sure 300yds will be as good. I just wish they had the same gun left handed in a long action!
Good luck on you're decision,

03C..

I just picked up a 700 sps varmint in 22-250 a couple months ago. You're more than welcome to try it, if you're near Leominster. I also have a Savage Model 16 with accutrigger (300wsm) if you'd like to try that out, too.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have the Savage and have shot the Remington. Get the Savage. Nothing against the Remmy, but the twist rate on the Savage is better for a heavy bullet. Put a good scope on it and 300yd targets are a snap.

Since the Remington is specifically designed for varmint hunting, they probably figured the user would prefer a extreme velocity light bullet.

I just picked up a 700 sps varmint in 22-250 a couple months ago. You're more than welcome to try it, if you're near Leominster. I also have a Savage Model 16 with accutrigger (300wsm) if you'd like to try that out, too.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.

Interesting that the 22-250 has an even softer twist rate: 1:14

From the Remington web site:
17 Remington Fireball: 9"
204 Ruger: 12"
22-250 Remington: 14"
223 Remington: 12"
243 Win: 9 1/8"
308 Win: 12"

I'd love to understand what the rational was they used to choose these.

Twist rate is a function of bullet weight. A 22-50 bullet is generally around just 40 grains and has a thin, gilding metal jacket.

A .223/5.56 bullet is generally 62 grains with a copper jacket. That weight needs a faster spin and the jacket can take the strain of imparting it.

I think I've decided

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. I think I've decided on the Savage. I've already started looking at aftermarket parts like:
SNIPER.jpg

From Choate

Now I just need to find some time to go get and shoot it. I haven't been to the range in 4 weeks... ugghh..

Back
Top Bottom