Sanford,Maine Show?

Yes. At the National Guard Armory. Do a Mapquest search for "88 William Oscar Emery Drive, Sanford, ME"

And welcome to the forum, neighbor!

Last edited:
Don't know which day I'll be there, but I will attend. It is a small show, but I usually find one or two good buys.

I've been there as early as 10 and they were open, but I don't know if the actual opening time is 10, or earlier like 8 or 9. And then there's the Saturday night time change..

I'd have gone but I know a few of the more regular dealers headed to Springfield instead. Originally the Sanford show was for a different weekend but then they changed it.
I'll wait for Lewiston and might even go to Concord.

Well, it was full today, Every table was occupied, and there were definitely a few good bargains floating about. I did see a High Standard 2-shot derringer for less than $100 (22LR, not 22WRM). Plenty of evil Black Rifle variants, a few ROMAKS and Siagas, lots of Mosin Nagants & SKSs.

A former regular with extensive ammo & reloading supplies wasn't there for a change, which was disappointing. I've been assigned a mission to find some used 300 Savage & 6.5 Japanese dies. All I found were .303 Savage and 7.7J dies. There was one small bag of 300 Savage brass, but the pieces were quite rough.

So back again tomorrow, to see what remains. If that one special item is still there, then I'll probably have to buy it.

A former regular with extensive ammo & reloading supplies wasn't there for a change, which was disappointing.

I know exactly the vendor your talking about and well, he's one of those that I previously mentioned went to Springfield. Found that out Friday when my brother called while he himself was heading down to the Big E.

Well, i did get a very good price on a set of NIB RCBS 32 H&R magnum dies (3 die carbide set for $30), and an excellent used SP101 in 32 H&R for Little Boss. She now has a 2" S&W 431PD and the 4" Ruger. I also picked up 3 boxes of Hornady 9mm 147gr encapsulated bullets; $8/box.

Couldn't quite convince myself to pick up a locally built FN/FAL assembled on a Hesse receiver. The price was good (under 600), but the mag release wouldn't function properly. I'll read up a bit more on the FN/FAL; I haven't heard much on how well they do/do not function with sporter ammo. The Hesse did have the two feed notches, unlike some of the CAI imports I've seen lately.

All in all, I was very pleased.

I am now prepping my P14 sporter, and possibly the Rem 660, for the April show in Biddeford.

I've read real bad things about the quality of Hesse products. Not sure which products, but I'd be real careful of buying anything by them.

I've read real bad things about the quality of Hesse products. Not sure which products, but I'd be real careful of buying anything by them.

Thanks, LenS! The fact that the bolt wouldn't hold open on an empty mag, and the mag release wouldn't release the mag, were both good hints that something wasn't right. I decided to pass on the FN/FAL.

Good advice to avoid Hesse. Do a search on most any of the large forums and you'll find the same general feelings about thier stuff. I wanna say it's the same as Vulcan and a few other brands. They simply change thier name everytime they geta bad enogh reputation. One forum listed a very good thread about how the owners manipulate the companie's names & ownerships on paper and more or less change the name and owners among a husband & wife and a parent of one of them.

Bummer! Don't think I'll make the drive up in time! THis will be the first Sanford Show I'll have missed in 6 years!

Hasn't been a milsurps show the times I went. Yes, there were some milsurps available, and there were a couple of milsurp tables. But I've bought at least one gun there each time, and none were milsurps.

Now, I did sell a milsurp or two there; like a Johnson re-barrelled 1917 w/ bayonet.

Sanford Maine Show Observations...

Hi Folks-

I went to the Sanford show yesterday and it was rather crowded. Ammuntion prices were high (of course) but there was at least some surplus 7.62x39mm and 7.62x54R and .303Brit available at ok prices.
I picked up 10 boxes of 5 rounds each of 12ga. 00 9 pellet buckshotand a sleeve of 10 boxes of 12ga. 2 3/4 slugs. I also manage to get 2 boxes of 10 each 26.5mm flare rounds for my
H&K P2A1 flare pistol.
I am looking foward to the Lewiston, Biddeford, and Concord shows as I think gun prices will not spike until the fall national election campaigns are in full swing.

Steve

I popped in today. It was my first gunshow, and I was pleasantly surprised! No freaks, no overpowering BO, and only one nazi table. Lots of guns. More jennings/jiminez guns that I've ever seen in one place too.

Picked up 5 rounds of 50BMG and a lockpicking kit, which I've always wanted but never seen.

Glad the show was good! Sorry I missed it. Bought a number of good, used pistols at that show over the years; including a 4-5/8" bbl Hunter model Super Blackhawk, an AMT Automag II, and a Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R magnum.

Back
Top Bottom