• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

saiga legality

whats the law on a shotgun that is magazine fed?

if i were to keep the gun stock could i get 8 round mags for it?

if i put a pistol grip on it can i put a muzzlebreak on it?

i was looking to do something like this to my saiga
http://tromix.com/images/Halo4-800L.jpg

but with a non folding stock

i just wasnt sure of the laws re: a magazine fed shotgun

I have had the same questions, so I have been going by the following but would be interested to see what others interpert it as. MGL Chapter 140, Section 121

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

From things I have read (but cannot cite) there are both pre-ban and post ban 8 round Saiga mags, and the 10 round mags are obviously post ban manufacture.

That is my .02 on the Saiga mags, but I welcome clarifying information.

not so sure about the preban mags...unless they were exclusive only in russia...i know that the 8 round mags only started coming here from overseas a few years ago

not so sure about the preban mags...unless they were exclusive only in russia...i know that the 8 round mags only started coming here from overseas a few years ago
Like I said, not entirely sure. Then again, given their price they are a little too rich for my blood. But the change jar has been building to fund some Tromix-ing so I hope you get your other answers.

Back
Top Bottom