Safey harness

Well, I set up one of my ladder stands in the backyard, never too early to practice.
This will be my first year in a stand, and the safety harness that came with it is not what I'm looking for in a safety harness/safety system.
I want a vest type harness, with some sort of assist to repel down safely if I should fall.
What is everyone using for a harness?

Good post!

I had 2 friends fall out of their trees this year. Neither of them was "in" the stand at the time, and they both broke all kinds of bones.
They both fell going in and out of the stand. One was hunting in one of those nasty ice/snow storms (slipped), the other was just trying to get out of the tree and go to work until one of the climbing steps pulled out of the tree. Don't use those folding steps! There is NOT, enough threads on those things to be safe unless you are under 100 lbs..

I am going to get one of those new harnesses that go up and down with you as you climb the tree for the new season. I wonder how many people really fall out of the stand vs. falling when going in or out of the stand?

I use a lineman style harness.

I wonder how many people really fall out of the stand vs. falling when going in or out of the stand?
A large percentage fall out of the stand when they doze off.

I just tie my own harnesses out of dry core climbing rope, but this doesn't allow you to climb down.

I've never fallen off anything while tied up, knock on wood.

However, one time I was pulling network cable and I was walking on a steel gerter in a warehouse and I slipped off, fell through the drop ceiling about 12 feet, and hit a concrete floor in someone's office. There was no room to tuck and roll and I ended up slapping out on the wall. I pulled down a bunch of the ceiling, an HVAC duct, and a fluorescent light, and knocked a hole in the wall in spot I landed. I was lucky, I didn't get hurt at all, my client was really cool about it, and my insurance took care of everything. Now I won't pull cable like that any more, and I have a dart gun that I can use to pull cable instead.

I wonder how many people really fall out of the stand vs. falling when going in or out of the stand?

Hey, see, my Basic Hunter Ed class was useful! This was a question on the test [grin]

Approximately 2/3rds of hunting stand accidents occur when climbing in or out of a stand.

I don't hunt using a stand, but I DO spend an inordinate amount of time climbing trees (or trying to, anyway) for no particular reason. I use a seated-position rock climbing harness. One of these days I'll get around to getting a linesman harness.

As for repelling out of the tree after a fall, that will be a little more equipment/preparation intensive than a simple stop-me-from-dying,-then-ill-figure-it-out sort of rig.

This is the one we use too.

it just isn't worth breaking bones or dying... and you hear about that happening to someone every year.

This is exactly why I like the HSS. If it is easy to deal with as well as comfortable you will me more likely to put it on when you go out.
Granted, I am paraniod enough that I couldn't imagine going up the tree without it.

As some one already noted the majority of the falls occur when getting on or off the actual stand, followed then by equip failure. (Ladder,strap,screw in etc.) Consider a Seat-O-The-Pants style harness w/the Tree Descender option. You want to be Connected to the tree 100% of the time. I run a Kernmantle rated anchor rope w/a Prusik & strap on ladder system.

Back
Top Bottom