Safes - Litebulb vs. dessicant

As a new safe owner, looking for suggestions to keeping the moisture out. I was leaning towards using a bag of dessicant, but several folks say a light bulb (15W) is the way to go as it will keep moisture out and temperature constant. I just don't like the fact that the bulb can burn out and/or possible touch/mar the surface of a piece of furniture.

A goldenrod heater uses less juice than that I think, and it will run forever.

Save up the cash and do that instead.

-Mike

I use either DampRid or a nylon stocking with a half-pound of silicone-based cat litter...No need for plugging in anything my guns are protected for cents a year...

Cheap bastid!.....[smile]

I use a Goldenrod from Midway in each of my big safes, and the little dessicant packs in the two small ones.

What brand would that be Mark ?? Good idea for a back up in case the power ever went out or someone unplugged my Golden Rod.[wink]

I use whatever is on sale. The last bag I bought was Petco PetGold Crystals. I bought an 8-pound bag and still have 5-pounds left, (at least). I put a half-pound or so in the nylon, tie it off and put it in an aluminum foilware meat loaf pan in the back of the safe...Works like a charm...

Don't I know it...[wink]

Wal Mart sells "closet dehumidifiers" with a kind of cloth barrier on the top, they absorb water in the summer easily but do not leak right away if knocked over by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom