Saddam Hussein's Glock 18C

Was gifted to President Bush from Delta Force soldiers. Now in the National Archives, possibly to end up on display.

06gunspan.jpg

The gun, a 9 millimeter Glock 18C, was found in the spider hole where the Iraqi leader was captured in December 2003 by Delta Force soldiers, four of whom later presented the pistol to Mr. Bush. Among the thousands of gifts Mr. Bush received as president, the gun became a favorite, a reminder of the pinnacle moment of the Iraq war, according to friends and long-time associates.

and

“We were getting ready to leave the Oval Office, and he told us, ‘Wait a minute, guys, I want to show you something,’ ” recalled Pete Hegseth, the chairman of Vets for Freedom, who described a July 2007 visit. “The president moved back into his private study and he came out with the gun, inside this glass case. He said, ‘The Delta guys pulled it off Saddam.’ He was very proud of it.”

Full Article [NYT]

Ha nice edit Dench, you bet me to it.

yeah i misread the original story as "bush sr gifted it to him in the 80's" then i realised that didnt make any sense so i fixed it.

there arent many 18's around, to bad one was being used by a total loser!

They took him alive because he didn't dare to pull the trigger.

Too many internet stories about Glock kabooms, ya' know.

Wait, wait, wait... How on earth did Saddam get it in the first place? It's a full-auto... [laugh][rofl]

I am quite sure he wouldn't pass the background check...

Although, I guess he didn't have any convictions, so he's good to go... [wink]

You know I thought Clinton had cornered the "special perks" of being president department...

But hell I say being exempt from NFA, beats a BJ from a chubby girl...[smile]

squished sent me the same thing...
its a dealer sample! a normal class 3 civilian cant own that as far as i know...

i dont think there are any civilian glock 18's out there, and if there are there are very very few...

I believe you are right. There was less than 5 years where they could even be transfered prior to '86 and I believe it was verboten by glock to put into the civilian market during that brief window of time.

Just a plain old run-of-the-mill G18C ?
I would have expected something with MUCH more "Bling" from Saddam, like these gold plated AK's:

arabist.jpg

Two AKs were also found in his hole. Didn't say whether or not they were gold-plated, but probably not. Hope some regular dudes got those.

I thought Saddam had a BHP, and that was the gun given to Bush.

Rumor has it that Saddam had a thing for Browning Hi-Powers. The iraqis had a lot of them.

-Mike

I believe you are right. There was less than 5 years where they could even be transfered prior to '86 and I believe it was verboten by glock to put into the civilian market during that brief window of time.

There are no civilian transferable G18s at all. Any of them that are out there are post-samples. Even for the guys that have SOTs and a willing CLEO to pump out demo letters at the drop of a hat have difficulty getting G18s, due to internal Glock policy. This is why when you go to Knob Creek or places like that, most of the FA glocks on the line are likely to be conversions rather than real G18s.

-Mike

I wonder if Bush had a license for it...you think?

If you can expel a kid for bringing an dead WWII casing made into a pendant, you can certainly charge someone for bringing a "machine gun" into the country without a license and owning it.

Just saying. Everyone should follow the rules. :)

Back
Top Bottom