S&W Sigma problem...

I know that the thread title is redundant, but my Sigma (SW9F, pre-94) has a serious problem with ejection. Unless S&W was completely retarded back then, I don't think the gun was meant to do this. It ejects empty casings straight back into my face, resulting in, among other things, shellcasing that got caught between the glasses and the eyelids (resulting in a rather nasty looking burn mark) and shellcasings in the mouth, even with a hat on. I don't think any gunmaker would be dumb enough to make their guns eject like that.

The Sigma in question is 12 years old, but was never fired until two weeks ago. I've put maybe 350 rounds through it in that time, and after some difficulties in getting it to feed properly it seems to have smoothened and otherwise shoots well (except for operator error). Any idea what may be wrong with it?

My guess is that it's the extractor. It could have a burr on it, dirt in it, or uneven wear. Call S&W, they wouldn't send me a new extractor for my Sigma when it broke but they may have you send the gun in and fix it for free.

If it's that old and has the orginal extractor send it back. They will change the extractor to the same one the 40 calibers use.

Also they had a problem with some of those old ones. They might send you back a new one.

Send it back.

Usually weirdball ejection is too hard to diagnose for non
gunsmiths, so let the factory do it. I had a similar problem with my
glock 17L and I dunno what they did, but it seems to work fine,
now. (it used to hit me in the forehead now it makes a neat pile
to the right as it flings the cases over my arm).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom