• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W SD40 pistol. (Quick review and initial thoughts)

Well, I bought an SD40 the other day. At first I was disappointed in the trigger. But, after dry firing it about 30-40 times the trigger smoothed right out. The trigger has become amazing! It really does feel just like a DA revolver trigger pull and tips the scales at around 7 pounds. This is not a tuned M&P trigger. It has a long pull and a long reset just like a DA revolver. I actually think that this may be the perfect combat trigger. It isn't the perfect competition trigger but it's not designed to be. As far as the mechanism goes, it is a new design. It shares nothing in common with the M&P, the Glock or the SIGMA. My take on the design is that it is simple and robust. I think it will prove to be a very reliable design simply because of it's simplicity.

Some of the other outstanding features are the sights, grip and magazines. The sights are pure S&W M&P sights. This means that aftermarket sights for the M&P will fit the SD Series. There are some great sight options available. It comes from the factory with a front night sight. That will be staying and I think I will be adding a 10-8 Rear sight to the gun. The grip angle is from the SIGMA but with a new texture pattern. It's wonderful the way it is. Now on to the magazines. They are basically SIGMA mags with new floor plates and a new follower in the .40 model. You can get preban hicaps for the SIGMA and use them as is or put on SD floor plates on the 9mm or floor plates and followers in the .40.

Size wise, the SD is light and thin. It is thinner than the M&P and SIGMA. Overall it is a badass little gun at a great price. I can't wait to shoot it!

Last edited:
It's nice to see Smith and Wesson continuing with the Sigma line. It puts a reasonably priced self defense pistol within reach of a lot of people who may be otherwise unable to purchase a new gun. It's also nice to see they've abandoned what has to be one of the most horrid triggers currently made...I'm sure if there's any tweaking to do, the after-market, (Apex and/or gunsmith), will come up with mods as the popularity of the SD line soars...

Back
Top Bottom