S&W not selling springs for M&P jobs

I was at Stateline today to get my M&P's worked on and they told me that S&W will no longer sell them the spring kits to do the trigger work. They don't know why and have none in stock. [crying] Trying to find someone else who has the parts in stock.

Could this be the AG coming down on S&W because MA gun owners are crossing the state line to get the work done?[thinking]

Hey! Just noticed I am green! Guess the check got there FAST!

Last edited:
Could this be the AG coming down on S&W because MA gun owners are crossing the state line to get the work done?[thinking]
Wasn't aware of any issue of MA residents getting trigger jobs... Many do...

Dealers just can't sell the gun that way...

Anything is possible, but could just be a volume thing, guns have been flying off the shelf...

just a matter of time before someone makes a kit for it...

Chances are S&W is saving every part for the production line, look at the free magazine promotion they can't come up with the mags to send because they are all being used on the production line.

Same reason I can't get an 18.5" barrel for my shotgun

Last edited:
Is State Line an authorized S&W armorer? FWIW I remember that S&W was limiting sales of certain compnents to armorers only.

I recently attended an armorers class for the M&P. I was told that smith will only sell sear blocks,srings and trigger asssemblys to certified armorers. YMMV

sear blocks available

I know MidwayUSA isn't popular around here, but they have the M&P sear blocks for sale. They seem to go out of stock the same day they show up, so watch closely.

I just bought a M&P .45 today and the gun is awesome but the trigger is atrocious. I've spent a lot of time reading through M&P trigger job threads and am torn between doing the job myself or dropping it (and my M&P9c) off with Greg Derr for a trigger job. I know Greg will do a great job but I really like to do stuff myself and I wouldn't mind saving the $130 plus two trips to Mansfield. It is not clear to me if a trigger job on a MA-compliant M&P involves changing springs, or if I can achieve a good trigger without buying any replacement parts and simply following the Burwell guide on M&P trigger work. What exactly is different on a MA M&P vs a free state M&P? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Well, I did a lot of research trying to figure out what parts make a M&P Mass compliant (e.g., 10-lb trigger vs 6.5-lb trigger). Ended up getting some good info out of this thread:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=4496

Specifically, the sear block and the trigger bar are different and cut at a steeper angle along with a heavier trigger spring. Part numbers can be found here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=10001&content=13016&sectionId=10504

Too bad S&W no longer sells sear blocks for $2.00 like the used to - now you have to buy the entire assembly for ~ $25 (when you can find them).

Greg shoots competitively a few times/month at Sharon F&G and at Braintree R&P . . . perhaps elsewhere as well. So there are options other than traveling to Marshfield (note: that's a long way from Mansfield) for drop off/pick up.

S&W will not sell sear blocks and springs for the M&P to anyone in Mass. even if you are a dealer or gunsmith. They will sell to anyother sae. Brownells and Midway are always on backorder you have to put in your order and wait sometimes over 3 months.
Remsport has a few sear blocks and springs in sock and can do the M&P trigger. Contact Remsport Mfg. for more info.

Like I said, I really prefer to do things myself. But it appears that I am limited by availability of S&W replacement parts, so I may have to go the gunsmith route.

I really sucks that you have to spend an extra 10%15% on a firearm in MA just to get the damn trigger fixed.

Back
Top Bottom