S&W Model 66-1 k-frame question

Hello All,
I inherited a model 66-1 in beautiful shape. However, when I took it to the range I discovered that I needed to adjust the rear sight way to the right and practically all the way up to get on the target. Could it be that the sight is faulty or should I be concerned that possibly one too many 357 loads were fired through it and the gun is warped. Has any one ever heard or experienced this?

Have S&W check it out. Can't hurt as they usually will do an evaluation for free. I had a model 19 I brought over a few years ago. I got a eval and a quote. Didn't get the work performed there but they did a diagnostic for me.

Accuracy with other double action revolvers is fine. This is my first model 66-1 ansd I wasn't sure if there was something out there concerning the problem I'm experiencing. Everyone seems to agree that this is a very accurate weapon. Hence my concern with the frame.

That sounds really unusual to me. How long is your barrel? I've got one with a 2-1/4" barrel that I routinely shoot .38 special in but do also shoot the larger load from time to time. Mine sights are dead center, too. They are a really fine revolver, too. I've got a hogue grip on mine and it's very comfortable to shoot. I'd definately consider having it looked at by a good smith in your area first and then, if he notices something, send it to S&W for a repair if it's really that far off.

Rome

It has a six inch barrel. I'm thinking of bringing it to a smith to have it checked. I was just concerned that maybe .357 loads warped over time have warped it. It's a shame because it's in beautiful shape but it's not worth much if it can't shoot straight.

I doubt very much if there's any thing the matter with the gun, try a box of 158gr before you send it any where.

66'S were designed to shoot 158gr bullets and that's what they use to test them. I have 2 of them a 2 1/2 inch and a 4 inch that are 30 years old and I have no problem with them using 158gr.

You might also want to run a brass brush wrapped with strands of copper chore boy around it down the barrel a few times to make sure it's free of leading before you start.

Back
Top Bottom