• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 9mm mag. Hard to load 10 issue ??

I had problems with the new followers. Had to trim the base of the follower to get clearance for the 10th round when loading the mag in the gun with the slide in battery. Clearance for the 10th round with the mag outside the pistol is not enough to insure reliable functioning.

The UPLula won't load the 10th round in my M&P, although it will do the other 9 just fine. Weird, but all of the mags are low round count.

Yeah, I've run into the same thing. I can use the UPLula for 9 rounds, but it won't work for the 10th. I've found that it there isn't enough clearance in the mag for the loader to push down and fit the round in. I have to manually load the 10th round in all of my 9c mags since purchase.

Yeah, I've run into the same thing. I can use the UPLula for 9 rounds, but it won't work for the 10th. I've found that it there isn't enough clearance in the mag for the loader to push down and fit the round in. I have to manually load the 10th round in all of my 9c mags since purchase.

I have two magazines with the "new" style follower and those are the tight ones. One of them is so tight to get the tenth round into that I'm not sure that it wouldn't fail to feed if I had 10+1 loaded. I'm going to go to the other thread and give the modification a try.

We just got a new M&P 9c for the shop to sell. I tryed loading the mags and I was just able to force ten in the mag with the finger rest and was only able to put 9 in the other mag. This seems to be a normal issue with the M&P 10 round mags. To fix this you need the mag springs to set, by loading the mags to the max of what you can get ito them and then letting them sit loaded for about a week. The mags will always be tight to load this is just a fact of life for the 10 round mags. You can also call S&W and tell them about your problem and they will most likely send you two new mags.
This is a great option for a consumer, however they would not do this for a dealer.

We just got a new M&P 9c for the shop to sell. I tryed loading the mags and I was just able to force ten in the mag with the finger rest and was only able to put 9 in the other mag. This seems to be a normal issue with the M&P 10 round mags. To fix this you need the mag springs to set, by loading the mags to the max of what you can get ito them and then letting them sit loaded for about a week. The mags will always be tight to load this is just a fact of life for the 10 round mags. You can also call S&W and tell them about your problem and they will most likely send you two new mags.
This is a great option for a consumer, however they would not do this for a dealer.

John, it's the followers, not the springs. Check the links above, they lengthened the feet of the followers. You can leave the springs compressed for an eternity and it won't fix the real problem.

John, it's the followers, not the springs. Check the links above, they lengthened the feet of the followers. You can leave the springs compressed for an eternity and it won't fix the real problem.

+1. I left them loaded for 2 weeks. No diff. Look forward to hearing what you find out.

Bought a M&P 9 full size yesterday (at North Shore Firearms which has a great deal on them BTW). In any case, I could get 10 rounds into both the mags. It isn't easy and honestly putting the first one in was only a little easier than pushing in the 10th for me. 2-9 worked easily. Have left them both with 10 rounds as someone suggested.

Mainly I wanted to tell you that it might just be these specific mags. And no, I am not a planet fitness guy...

Bought a M&P 9 full size yesterday (at North Shore Firearms which has a great deal on them BTW). In any case, I could get 10 rounds into both the mags. It isn't easy and honestly putting the first one in was only a little easier than pushing in the 10th for me. 2-9 worked easily. Have left them both with 10 rounds as someone suggested.

Mainly I wanted to tell you that it might just be these specific mags. And no, I am not a planet fitness guy...

" I pick things up and put them down " LOL. After speaking to S&W, the majority of these issues are w/the compact 9/40. Can you seat the mag, "Normallly" w/the slide closed ? IMO Normal is a firm tap, (With your palm) worst case a firm press.

Last edited:
" I pick things up and put them down " LOL. After speaking to S&W, the majority of these issues are w/the compact 9/40. Can you seat the mag, "Normallly" w/the slide closed ? IMO Normal is a firm tap, (With your palm) worst case a firm press.

I tried that too. A slightly more than firm push but it seated fine with one in the chamber.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my M&P 9c, which was also my 1st gun ever.... couldn't get that last round in there at 1st. So, I practiced every night and now I can get all ten with no issues and have a nice new thumb callous at no extra charge. It really was very hard at 1st and I beat the hell out of my thumb every night for that 1st week...but I've never been smart enough to know when to quit[wink]. Pushing the full mags into the gun with the slide locked forward got better also, I didn't modify the springs at all, they seemed to soften up on their own and I now carry 10+1 no problem. Now I just have to get used to that monster of a trigger......

J

I had the same issue with my M&P 9c, which was also my 1st gun ever.... couldn't get that last round in there at 1st. So, I practiced every night and now I can get all ten with no issues and have a nice new thumb callous at no extra charge. It really was very hard at 1st and I beat the hell out of my thumb every night for that 1st week...but I've never been smart enough to know when to quit[wink]. Pushing the full mags into the gun with the slide locked forward got better also, I didn't modify the springs at all, they seemed to soften up on their own and I now carry 10+1 no problem. Now I just have to get used to that monster of a trigger......

J

If you've got $80 to spare, no you don't.

I know this is an old post, but I recently bought a new M&P 2.0 9mm and have problems loading the mags, even with an Adco loader. I can't even get the first round in ! I had a severe trigger problem out of the box, sent it back for repair and asked they check/replace the mags. It came back today ( after one month ) and the mags were not repaired. I called and was told they cannot repair or replace mags, and state law prohibits them from shipping a mag to me. Ridiculous. I let them know they previously sent me a mag for a new 1911 but that did not seem to matter.
I am wondering if my mags have the wrong spring in them but don't know how to verify this.
Any suggestions ?

this still applies
Have your husband load the mag
as well as the other informative posts in this thread

I call BS on leaving the mags loaded. Ive had my mags loaded 24/7 for 3 years and it has not got any better.

I agree.

The issue of mag springs wearing or wearing out under long term static load has been duscussed here and tons of other places.....they do not wear or wear out under static load, they wear out because of kinetic use.

If the last round won't load into the magazine at all, either the spring is too long or the follower is incorrectly made or the mag body is too short.

If the last round is just hard to load, then there is too many coils on the spring and theres too much tension when its compressed.

I have an m&p 45c with a similar issue. I can get all of the rounds in the magazine, but if I chamber a round and top off to carry “+1”, I have to REALLY jam the mag into the gun to get it to seat. Could this potentially damage the top round in the magazine?

I have an m&p 45c with a similar issue. I can get all of the rounds in the magazine, but if I chamber a round and top off to carry “+1”, I have to REALLY jam the mag into the gun to get it to seat. Could this potentially damage the top round in the magazine?

If it was going to, it would have the first time you did it. No subsequent mag insertions would be any different.

I call BS on leaving the mags loaded. Ive had my mags loaded 24/7 for 3 years and it has not got any better.

I agree.

The issue of mag springs wearing or wearing out under long term static load has been duscussed here and tons of other places.....they do not wear or wear out under static load, they wear out because of kinetic use.

If the last round won't load into the magazine at all, either the spring is too long or the follower is incorrectly made or the mag body is too short.

If the last round is just hard to load, then there is too many coils on the spring and theres too much tension when its compressed.

Agreed. I’ve had more than a few mags fully loaded for several years (5+) and never had a problem with them when I finally got around to shooting that particular gun.

Back
Top Bottom