S&W 329PD: masochism or mountain gun?

O/U

Hi folks,

My brother and I took a ride up to Kittery yesterday to ogle some firearms (and to unexpectedly look down both barrels of a side by side as some idiot swept the room. Yikes!). In particular I wanted to handle the S&W 329PD.

I carry my 686 6" with me as a hunting sidearm, but find that after a full day of hiking with gear and my 20 gauge the large revolver tends to be a thorn in my side. I carry on my strong side with a nice Bianchi nylon holster. My 686 is also a ported model and the sharp partridge-style sight tends to snag and drag.

So I've been tossing around the idea of getting a different mountain gun. The 686 is a joy to shoot. It's more accurate than I am, and I think it's teaching me good habits. I put lots of .38s through it, and finish my sessions off with full strength .357 loads. I've been getting more and more accurate and comfortable with it. The trigger is smooth, and the single action breaks like glass.

Still, while a .357 is probably adequate for the North East, I do plan on hunting out west and possibly in Norway as well. I would like my next hunting sidearm to be more potent so I've settled on the .44 magnum.

I've shot my buddies 629 classic and have found it to be very difficult to shoot. We shot together a few months ago, and though we basically had identical revolvers (his 629 is also a 6" ported model) I could not hit my targets like I could with my 686. Granted, the 629 could have been sighted funny. My guess is that I was anticipating recoil (which for me is a total non-issue with even big .357 loads in my 686), though I will say that my buddy who has a lot of handgun shooting under his belt (unlike me) also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his 629. He had great luck with my 686 though, and I think he was a tad bit jealous!

Anyway, after cleaning my soiled trousers after the muzzle sweeping incident at Kittery I asked to see a brand spanking new 329pd. I knew it was going to be light, but I had no idea how light. This handgun was a revelation. I could carry all day long and never even have to think about it. It locked up so tight that the cylinder felt welded to the frame. It pointed beautifully. In short, I am not ashamed to say I fell in love. I think the 329pd, however, is a harsh mistress.

Given that I've already proven to myself that me and the 44 magnum do not get along, I fear that a light version of a 44 mag would put me on the floor. Granted, your mountain gun does not necessarily have to be your everyday target gun, I do think it's a good idea to shoot what you carry a lot. I'm not sure it would be much fun with the 329PD, even though I've read that .44 spec loads are pretty light in this firearm.

So, after this long preamble I'm wondering if you folks have any experience with the 329PD? Keep in mind that I'm looking for something that I can take into the woods for multiple days. It must be light, accurate, dead reliable, and with enough potency to ward off big critters.

Here is the only review I've found of it:

http://www.gunblast.com/SW329PD.htm

Thanks!

Tom

I've shot my buddies 629 classic and have found it to be very difficult to shoot.

I could not hit my targets like I could with my 686. .....

Given that I've already proven to myself that me and the 44 magnum do not get along, I fear that a light version of a 44 mag would put me on the floor. ....

I'm not sure it would be much fun with the 329PD, ....

Gunblast article said:
most of the .44 Magnum loads were brutal after a few shots

So, what was the question?

Put together some heavy bullet loads for your 686 and be happy.

A hard cast 180 gr bullet over a near max load should give you all of the penetration and stopping power that you need and still be reasonably comfortable to shoot.

Jack

So, what was the question?

Put together some heavy bullet loads for your 686 and be happy.

A hard cast 180 gr bullet over a near max load should give you all of the penetration and stopping power that you need and still be reasonably comfortable to shoot.

Jack

Well, the 686 with a 6" barrel is a heavy gun to have on the hip for multiple days of hiking. I love the gun, and will not part with it but after holding the 329pd I was persuaded to give the 44 magnum another try.

If you haven't held the 329pd, you really should. It sure was lighter than I thought it would be. It was so light that it really didn't feel like metal at all. I just could imagine the ease at which one could carry the 329pd and realized that my current sidearm was a real drag on longer hunts.

My fear is that in an emergency, a follow-up shot with such a light gun would be all but impossible.

Does anyone here own a 329pd?

O/U,
Maybe the answer is to stop halfway. A 4" 629 Mountain gun might be light enough, with a proper holster, to carry all day. It will still have pretty bad recoil with full loads, but you could load it down to .44 Spl levels for practice.
I have heard so many stories about the lightweight alloy guns breaking from excessive pounding that I wouldn't bother with them.
I know what a full loaded .357 is like in a 23 ounce gun. I don't even want to imagine a .44 Mag in a 25 ounce gun.

Jack

I own three revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum:

1. Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel.
2. S&W Model 19 with 4" barrel.
3. S&W Model 360PD with 1 7/8" barrel.

The 360PD is a j-frame with scandium frame/titanium cylinder. It weighs 12 ounces empty. It hurts like HELL to shoot full power .357 Magnum rounds through it. I can shoot the same rounds (I'm thinking specifically of the Remington JSP I bought at Dick's a couple of years ago) through the 19 or the Sec. 6 with no problem whatsoever. With the 360, it was literally jumping out of my hand.

I can only imagine how much more .44 Magnum would hurt. I might shoot the 329PD once, on a bet, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I think your solution lies in a different holster.

On the street, most of us carry revolvers in "high ride" holsters, such as the traditional pancake and variants. These are fine for street carry (and very nice when getting into and out of vehicles), but they have their drawbacks. One of them is how they transfer weight to the belt. Another is how the gun, after a while, tends to wear a dent on your hip.

In the woods, concealment is no longer a tactical issue, but only a weapon protection issue. You should take a look at a true Jordan holster (if you can find one), which rides much lower (and usually on a wider belt). The draw is actually easier and faster than a high ride, but the weight transfer is straight down (versus bending away) and the revolver is off the hip. The only drawback is that you may have to futz the gun around when getting into a car.

Jordan holsters are getting hard to find nowadays. The last one I purchased (a few years ago) for a 4" N-Frame, came from South Africa. It was actually a "modified" Jordan, as it did not have as deep a drop as a true Jordan, but it is extremely comfortable. You could wear it for a week and have no problems (except with the car).

Hi folks,

Thanks for the great advice.

One of the reasons I like to carry a handgun while hunting is that it's handy. For camp chores I don't like to carry my shotgun with me. Also, when I'm just hiking in the VT woods, or scouting off-season it's nice to leave the long gun at home. Plus, having two firearms with me in the woods is a redundancy I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for (though I would like to minimize my discomfort as much as possible). I admit that for quick hunts I leave the 686 in the safe, but I figure since I have it I might as well carry it.

Unfortunately Kittery didn't have a 4" M29. I really like this revolver and would like to handle it.

I like the holster idea as well. One of the problems with wearing a gun on a belt is that my hunting vest inevitably gets in the way. I was thinking of picking up a shoulder-style holster that would put my gun on my weak side under my left arm. This would help get the gun into a more useable position. Are shoulder holsters good for heavy revolvers?

Is the .357 adequate bear medicine? I would imagine it would be passable with black bears, but again I would like something for western hunting as well. Would it do the trick?

Another question: how easy is it to replace the front sight on a 686. The stock sight is like a blade, and I can feel it grabbing on the holster. A standard red ramp might be better, but I'm not sure how to replace it.

Lastly, I didn't think S&W made a titanium/scandium 4" .375. Is there a version of such a gun?

m29 mtn

I have a 4" 29 mtn gun. .44 spl is great fun and with the rubber grips and a shooting glove the .44 mags aren't too bad. I can shoot 18 or so a session without any real pain.

Buffalo Bore has "Lower Recoil" .44 mags that will still penetrate bear skulls (see their web site). I have not tried them yet but plan to soon.

Bill

Well, the 686 with a 6" barrel is a heavy gun to have on the hip for multiple days of hiking. I love the gun, and will not part with it but after holding the 329pd I was persuaded to give the 44 magnum another try.

If you haven't held the 329pd, you really should. It sure was lighter than I thought it would be. It was so light that it really didn't feel like metal at all. I just could imagine the ease at which one could carry the 329pd and realized that my current sidearm was a real drag on longer hunts.

My fear is that in an emergency, a follow-up shot with such a light gun would be all but impossible.

Does anyone here own a 329pd?

I have one. I guide whitewater rafting trips in Alaska. I bought a 329 because I don't notice that it's on me when I need to go for a swim. If you do buy one, throw away the stock grips and put the rubber X-frame grip on it. It is much easier to shoot with that grip than the other two factory supplied grips. With that said, this is no beginners gun. Unless you are a very experienced pistolero, you will develop a bad flinch from shooting this gun. It recoils more than an X-frame (not my claim, S&W employees showed me a chart). It is also a very finicky revolver,, you must wisely select your loads because crimp jump is a real issue with this beast. A good 33% of ammo on the market is unreliable in this cannon due to the crimp jump issue. It is comfortable though on you hip. I don't carry my Ruger Redhawk anymore because it would cause unbelievable pain to my hips after a week of carrying it. I really don't notice the 329, and I am faster on the draw with it. While most people wouldn’t be able to give it a steady diet of full house loads, you must keep in mind that they have had frame erosion problems with this revolver. It was briefly discontinued due to this. Smith’s solution was a tiny piece of steel above the cylinder gap. This doesn’t resolve the problem, it just slows it down. It is a nice revolver loaded with specials though.

hl_1849.jpg

hl_1920_tan.jpg

These holsters from Kirkpatrick Leather should make a heavy gun easier to carry. They also look damned good.

I was just over on S&W's site, and they are showing a 327PD (38spl/357), with a release date of Jan '08.

My choice would be the 357PD, but unless you handload, you're probably not going to enjoy the 41 Mag as much as I do.

Hey guys,

Those holsters are gorgeous! Thanks for the link.

Springer, I just sent you a PM.

As for getting a 4" version of the 686, it might be an option for me. I've toyed with the idea, but I do like that long sight radius on the 6" model.

I also have a 329PD and although I used to chuckle at its light weight (it feels like a toy, especially unloaded) I now believe it's a superb "niche" gun. I used to carry a 3" Smith .44 Sp as a deer hunting sidearm, but it was annoyingly heavy (on top of that, our state regulations don't permit carrying a .44 Sp while big game hunting), as was my 4" Model 29. The 329 is so light that you simply don't notice it most of the time, and at the same time you get 6 shots of either .44 Sp or .44 Mag. You could say it's the perfect .44 Sp gun. There is no question it hurts to shoot magnums, at least after the first few shots, but I suspect that if you were addressing something big and hairy that was trying to eat you, you would not notice the recoil. It's not a fun plinking gun but it definitely has a place. I expect to carry it this summer fishing in Montana and Idaho and figure it will be just what the doctor ordered. I have just ordered a holster that will allow it to be carried strong-side or cross-draw to obtain some versatility in carry method.

I've got a 629 Performance Center gun with a very heavy ported barrel:
170137_thumb.jpg

Frankly, I do NOT enjoy shooting .44 Mag out of the gun. No way in hell I would fire a 329PD.

I'd also take a look at the Ruger Redhawk. It is stronger, more durable, and cheaper than the S&W. Frankly, I would take the Ruger even if it were the same price. It's like having a Escalade vs. an F250. Sure the Cadillac is nicer looking, smoother, faster, and more luxurious. But when you need a work truck that you can bang around in the brush with and have it pull a heavy load without worrying about damaging it, it's the 250. Same thing with the Smith vs. the Ruger.

But then again, my backup bear defense sidearm is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt. Who am I to really criticize?

Last edited:
What a buncha wimps. My 629 is my wife's favorite revolver. She shoots a whole box of mags and never complains a bit.

Just calling it like I feel it <ouch>. But if the original poster was already intimidated by a 629, then I'd argue that a 329PD would not be a good idea for him.

Oh crap, how did I miss this thing?!? I probably shouldn't do this because I don't have money for a new gun or to start loading a new round, but does anyone have one of these I could try with some .44 Mag?

Back
Top Bottom