• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Run, hide and fight

As an administrator for a school department I am sitting in on one of the trainings for school personnel. The title...run, hide and fight. Much of the nanny state BS however most of the staff in the room asked a lot of great common sense questions and the officer said in a round about way....get out of the building, don't shelter in place. Officer spoke about barricading rooms as a secondary option if you choose to shelter in place, one teacher said "would be nice if we could shoot back". On the contrary there are a few sheep in here. Few crying and looking petrified. That's why concealed means concealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're looking for that "safe room" with the dolls, cookies and play-doh! [puke2]

And the bubbles...don't forget the bubbles.

Shelter in place is one of the most insane ideas anyone has every come up with. Why would you willingly set yourself up as a stationary fixed target?

I'm a fan of this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the bubbles...don't forget the bubbles.

Shelter in place is one of the most insane ideas anyone has every come up with. Why would you willingly set yourself up as a stationary fixed target?

I'm a fan of this guy.

Awesome! You can tell he's really into teaching safety and actually taking action versus drinking the Kool-Aid.

Question of the Day: Why would school administrators support the ALICE Program instead of something like this video?

Last edited by a moderator:
To say shelteri in place is stupid, is wrong. In some situations it may be the best option, not every situation but some. It would be better to train them to realize the situation they are in and come up with a solution.
If there is an active shooter in the school, unless you know where they are panicking and running for the door may get you shot.

I am thinking the only problem with today's society is the educators. At some point they stop providing a quality education and started reinforcement of severe psychological distress upon the young people of tomorrow. After this meeting the cops will have trained a true network of mind bending idiots. I am wondering when only the illegal alien dance will be taught in gym class.

There should be a psychological exam of anyone wanting to be able to forge future minds because most of today's teachers are completely unstable & reckless with their teachings.

I am thinking the only problem with today's society is the educators. At some point they stop providing a quality education and started reinforcement of severe psychological distress upon the young people of tomorrow. After this meeting the cops will have trained a true network of mind bending idiots. I am wondering when only the illegal alien dance will be taught in gym class.

There should be a psychological exam of anyone wanting to be able to forge future minds because most of today's teachers are completely unstable & reckless with their teachings.

You are an absolute and unsalvageable idiot. Pure, untainted moron.

You believe that the classroom teachers are to blame for fulfilling the expectations that WE have of them? We expect the schools (and I mean the collective 'we') to relieve us of more and more of the parental and social responsibilities - then you blame the classroom teachers that struggle to do the best they can by their students while suffering these additional expectations, ridiculous revil action that forces them to educate children DESPITE the system, rather than within it?

You're not only an idiot, you're an *******, too.

lets see, gun free zone worked out real well, why shouldn't shelter in place? [rolleyes]

You believe that the classroom teachers are to blame for fulfilling the expectations that WE have of them? We expect the schools (and I mean the collective 'we') to relieve us of more and more of the parental and social responsibilities - then you blame the classroom teachers that struggle to do the best they can by their students while suffering these additional expectations, ridiculous revil action that forces them to educate children DESPITE the system, rather than within it?

I see you're a teacher. Do you work for the Lexington schools by chance?

This. x 1000.

People on this forum don't tend to understand this because they tend to be responsible and self-reliant; for the other 99% of society who thinks gun owners are rednecks with no brains, the schools are working as intended. It's certainly true that more and more is being expected of the educational side yearly; not just PARCC/MCAS/etc, but the anti-bullying statutes and mental health eval processes are largely school-driven. By law, at least in MA.

We've got the schools the majority seems to want. NESers often opt out through homeschooling, which is a good option for some. Other NESers continually spout off about school policies they've got no clue about; that's your right, but it's also fair for the few teachers on here to point out your ignorance.

Sounds like you have an anger issue and possibly a suitability issue ;). Instead of lashing out on people commenting, maybe your energy would be better focused on the teachers union. No ones blaming teachers for the criminal who breaks into a school to impart violence on students. Although I would have to say the teachers union, many teachers and lots of parents are, as a group, responsible for the pitiful state of the education system IMHO.

This. x 1000.

People on this forum don't tend to understand this because they tend to be responsible and self-reliant; for the other 99% of society who thinks gun owners are rednecks with no brains, the schools are working as intended. It's certainly true that more and more is being expected of the educational side yearly; not just PARCC/MCAS/etc, but the anti-bullying statutes and mental health eval processes are largely school-driven. By law, at least in MA.

We've got the schools the majority seems to want. NESers often opt out through homeschooling, which is a good option for some. Other NESers continually spout off about school policies they've got no clue about; that's your right, but it's also fair for the few teachers on here to point out your ignorance.
So we dont understand the issue? And most opt out for home schooling? Hhhmmmm have you come across the term Broad Brush in your teaching history?

[banghead][grenade]

So we dont understand the issue? And most opt out for home schooling? Hhhmmmm have you come across the term Broad Brush in your teaching history?
I take it you've read other education related threads over the years; they mostly tend to go the same way. And yes, I've certainly experienced a broad brush; more often than not on this site, it's directed against teachers.

it's not all the teachers...it's also the curriculum that they are forced to teach which is put together by people who have never taught (you ever see the way kids have to learn math now, probably the dumbest process i have ever heard about)...plus the kids that know how to work the system and their parents...plus the parents that either don't care or don't discipline their kids...there are no consequences for kids actions anymore...they want them all to pass and go on to college when in reality some shouldn't and don't deserve to, some of these kids need to fail and go on to be mcdonalds employees and garbage men...parents blame the teachers now instead of their kids...you can't blame one party, it's a collective thing

it's not all the teachers...it's also the curriculum that they are forced to teach which is put together by people who have never taught

...and even if the curriculum is spot-on for 80%, it will fall flat for the other 20%.

I'm an Aspie. In the 70s, nobody knew what that was. They just knew I was different. The teachers tried their best with me - and we were lucky locally to have some really talented teachers in the .gov schools - but there wasn't a whole lot of flexibility available to them. And since I was regarded as "gifted" (rather than a spectrumite) there were no "special" services offered. We didn't even have a (curricular) talented/gifted program. (We did have some after-school stuff, for a couple years - and only because our principal took charge of it himself.) Fortunately, those were the days before homogeneous grouping was frowned upon (and "mainstreaming" became all the rage), so I did get to be in the "advanced" classes.

They made do as best they could: by eighth grade I was doing stuff like writing my own science curriculum - and being a pest to the math book publisher by writing to have them correct errors. [grin]

(The "peer relationships" were still a problem, though. They didn't pick on me as much as avoid me - I was too alien for them.)

^^^now the curriculum gets modified for special needs students so they don't get the same fate as the kids that just don't care or aren't trying...the only kids that should fail are the kids that don't want to try...i have more respect for the special needs kids that work for theirs cause they have to work a lot harder to get there...my wife is a special ed teacher in RI and is great at what she does

They're crying and looking petrified just during the training?

Yes, sadly enough. I thought it was quite funny as my sr9c was snug in its crossbreed super tuck. One of my favorites was "thankfully we have locks on our doors". The officer doing the training then proceeded to rip apart that statement, and then she needed the bubble and play doh room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom