• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger vs. Sig vs. S&W - Promo Guns

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
I shoot a lot of IDPA and related matches. I usually work all these matches as staff. That means the opportunity to win free guns ... maybe. My luck compared to a lot of the regulars on the circuit sucks but I do manage to win a gun every now and then. Let's talk about how different companies have handled the situation.

S&W - Match in MA at S&W in Springfield. Won an M&P 9mm. pistol. This was Feb. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL in Sep. 9 months.

Sig Sauer
- Match at Sig in NH. Won a P320X Compact. November. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL the following October. 11 months.

Ruger
- Match in NH. Won PC Carbine. May. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL in July 1. 1.5 months.

I've heard similar stories from others. Sig takes forever. Usually 9+ months. Ruger is always fast. Less than 2 months. S&W does not give away guns anymore so I guess they don't count.

Not sure why I posted this other than to say it was sweet to pick up a new free gun today to shoot over the weekend. Never expected it this quick. Figured if I got it before mid August I was doing good. My hat's off to Ruger and Paul Pluff. Excellent support getting these guns out quick and sponsoring all these matches. Paul is super guy and he does tons of work supporting the shooting community.

I shoot a lot of IDPA and related matches. I usually work all these matches as staff. That means the opportunity to win free guns ... maybe. My luck compared to a lot of the regulars on the circuit sucks but I do manage to win a gun every now and then. Let's talk about how different companies have handled the situation.

S&W - Match in MA at S&W in Springfield. Won an M&P 9mm. pistol. This was Feb. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL in Sep. 9 months.

Sig Sauer
- Match at Sig in NH. Won a P320X Compact. November. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL the following October. 11 months.

Ruger
- Match in NH. Won PC Carbine. May. Redeemed gift certificate immediately. Gun delivered to FFL in July 1. 1.5 months.

I've heard similar stories from others. Sig takes forever. Usually 9+ months. Ruger is always fast. Less than 2 months. S&W does not give away guns anymore so I guess they don't count.

Not sure why I posted this other than to say it was sweet to pick up a new free gun today to shoot over the weekend. Never expected it this quick. Figured if I got it before mid August I was doing good. My hat's off to Ruger and Paul Pluff. Excellent support getting these guns out quick and sponsoring all these matches. Paul is super guy and he does tons of work supporting the shooting community.

Paul Pluff was at Sand Gnat in Georgia this past April, both representing Ruger and as a competitor. From the staff drawings I received a certificate for a Security-9. Sent it in a week or so later and it was promptly processed. Less than a month from the time I sent it in until shipment notice was sent to me. It's sitting at a friend's shop now waiting for me to come home and pick it up.

Paul Pluff was at Sand Gnat in Georgia this past April, both representing Ruger and as a competitor. From the staff drawings I received a certificate for a Security-9. Sent it in a week or so later and it was promptly processed. Less than a month from the time I sent it in until shipment notice was sent to me. It's sitting at a friend's shop now waiting for me to come home and pick it up.

In 2016 IDPA MA States did not have a title sponsor. We managed to get 2 guns from Ruger, 1 from S&W and 1 from Sig. In 2017 we also could not find a title sponsor. We ended up buying a S&W, and a Sig from match fees to give away.

In 2018 after speaking with Paul Ruger came on as our title sponsor and they have been ever since. This year was no different. Paul & Ruger gave us 6 guns to give away and provided shooter bags with hats, water bottles, stickers etc. for all shooters and staff. Can't say enough good about them.

I like Ruger. Good solid Blue-Collar guns. They do have some pricey ones, but those aren't my style...

Ruger has a quick turnaround because they have such a huge stock of inventory because nobodies buying any of the crap they make.

Or because they realize it is important to keep up their commitments. They chose to give away some guns. It is prudent for them to deliver them in a timely fashion and keep everyone happy. Sig on the other hand doesn't give a sh!t. I won the P320XC from Sig and called them a few times. They made it very clear that promo guns were at the bottom of the heap compared to paying orders. My thoughts to Sig is if you can't deliver in a timely fashion then don't promise otherwise add a disclaimer saying it can take up to and in excess of 1 year to deliver on our promise. It's kind of like promising to buy your kid the new hot toy they want and taking 11 months to do it. Not a good move. Big loss of credibility.

Ruger has a quick turnaround because they have such a huge stock of inventory because nobodies buying any of the crap they make.

Shots fired, frag out.
Let the fanboys heads explode with internet rage.
Ouch....

For what it's worth, I recently bought a Ruger PCC (Chasis Version)...not sure it can be beat for the money. It just runs...good trigger, glock mags, threaded barrell, takes standard AR bolt-ons....impressive. Nice job Ruger.

For what it's worth, I recently bought a Ruger PCC (Chasis Version)...not sure it can be beat for the money. It just runs...good trigger, glock mags, threaded barrell, takes standard AR bolt-ons....impressive. Nice job Ruger.
@Eddie,
About 4 yrs ago I bought the original version of the PCC 9, and paired it with a Ruger SR9c ... Holy Brother of Moses that carbine is a LOT of fun.

Because of the fun-factor, it's easy to burn through several hundred rounds of ammo in a single range session. I see this as a feature/benefit !!
It's a Ruger, so it's overbuilt and is heavy. It should never break. If I run out of ammo, it can be used as a club for beating the tar out of an attacking goblin.
Perceived recoil is light so a novice shooter shouldn't be bothered much by "kick". It's also not nearly as loud as a conventional rifle.
It's a blowback so operation is simple and reliable. This does mean it gets a little dirtier than I'd like, but takedown and cleaning are simple, fast and easy.
It looks scary but has none of the evil features one would see in a Bloomberg-styled AWB ... so the likes of Maura, et. al., can't do much about it.
It's accurate enough to consistently ring 6" steel at 100 yards. Steel at 50 is a snap.
It has more punch than a 9mm pistol because of the 16" barrel. Punch is good. Punch works. (/homage to Gordon Gekko)
I live in a geography which does not limit me to 10-round magazines. I bought a couple of 33-round stick mags for the carbine for two reasons:
(1) simply because I could and (2) to thumb-my-nose at those "overlords" who would seek to deny me the act of free commerce.

I think that's about it for now.

WTF ... I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. There is nothing to win.

Am I shooting the skinflints of the Shooting Sports?

Should I switch to IDPA?

Please tell me, is this random drawing for entering a match or are these for winning matches?

Should I switch to IDPA?

Please tell me, is this random drawing for entering a match or are these for winning matches?

Usually only happens at Sanctioned Tier 3 and above matches that have a sponsor willing to donate guns. Work staff and maybe win free guns. Pay to shoot not so much. As the Match Director of several of these matches I always exclude myself from the drawings.

Here is how I have seen it worked it in the past.

2022 IDPA MA States - 6 guns.
GP 100 Match Revolver - Raffled off. All proceeds given to Active Heros. (Charity to prevent Veteran Suicide) Each staff got 1 ticket free.
5 Guns given away to staff. Random drawing.

2022 Active Heros - Aiming For Zero - Pioneer in NH
Don't know how many guns they had or how many they gave staff. I think they had around 5 or 6 the day I shot. All being raffled off for AFZ. I bought $40 worth of tickets and split them evenly between the PC Carbine and the P365. Got lucky and won the PC Carbine.

2019 Sig Sauer - Adaptive Defense Shooting Summit (physically disabled shooters only)
If I remember they had around 10 guns, Even split between Sig and Ruger. Random drawings and gave all guns to shooters. I got lucky and won a P320XC

2109 IDPA MA States - 5 Guns
GP 100 Match Revolver - Raffled off. All proceeds given to Active Heros. (Charity to prevent Veteran Suicide) Each staff got 1 ticket free.
2 PC Carbine - 1 given away on Saturday, 1 on Sunday. Random drawing for all shooters that day.
2 Security 9 - Given to staff. Random drawing.

2018 IDPA MA States - 5 Guns.
All 5 Raffled off. All proceeds given to Active Heros. (Charity to prevent Veteran Suicide) Staff were given some free tickets to win.

2017 S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals - 20 guns
Random drawing. Even split. 10 guns for staff and 10 guns for shooters. Everyone, shooters and staff, got a certificate to buy 1 gun from S&W for 35% off. I won an M&P 9mm and I bought a 1911 Pro Series for 35% off.

I don't really like Ruger semi-auto pistols (aside from the Mk .22 guns). They always have bad ergonomics and so-so triggers. But a free gun is a free gun!

Should I switch to IDPA?

being in the gun raffle is usually reserved for staff, at a sanctioned event like a state match for IDPA or an area match for USPSA. The only time I have seen non-staff win a gun is at the IDPA LFOD match. For the IDPA New England regional, staff get more chances to win the more days you work, so if you show up for setup, planning, etc. Pioneer USPSA holds a gun raffle for the people who show up to set up the monthly matches. I think every 4 hours worked is one entry.

Note: IDPA forbids awarding prizes based on match performance, so any prize must be a random drawing.

Back
Top Bottom