Ruger "The Reward"

As a reward for several months of hard work I bought myself a terrific .22 pistol the other day. It cost me about $600 in real terms*--a Ruger Mark III 22/45:
181003815_888675ef99.jpg

(This morning I saw a chocolate bar in the drug store named 'Ruger " The Reward"' so I figured it deserved a place in the picture.)

I had heard horror stories about how complicated it is to disassemble a Ruger .22, but the take-down was quite easy:
181003818_3df53848b2.jpg

Just take out (what I think is:) the mainspring housing and the rest of the gun basically drops into it's major pieces. Because of the magazine disconnect safety, there CAN be some fiddling with the magazine while you try to get the trigger/hammer in the right position.

The gun is terrific fun. I can blast away with it for an hour or more and find out I've spent about $5 on ammunition. The heavy bull barrel means that there's almost no recoil and absolutely no barrel flip.

*That's:
Me: I'll buy this gun for $300.
Wife: Oh, yeah? Well, I'll buy $300 worth of random stuff from Amazon....

Jeremiah said:
I had heard horror stories about how complicated it is to disassemble a Ruger .22, but the take-down was quite easy:
Jeremiah, it's not the takedown that's hard... it's the reassembly! [smile]

Unless you get one of those gee-whiz aftermarket kits that make disassembly a snap.

The 22/45 I bought recently has it, and takedown involves nothing tougher than loosening an allen bolt.

Sweet!

C-pher said:
Nice looking. I've been thinking about one...but I think that I want a 7" Model 41 instead.

The Ruger 'Hunter' model is basically the same gun with a 7" fluted barrel and fiber-optic sights. It's about $50 - $100 more. The fluting looks pretty cool.

I looked into the Hunter model of the Mark III when I was going to buy a .22 target pistol. I'm just not a fan of the grip on the Rugers, and for a .22, I couldn't justify spending that extra $$$ I get bored pretty easily shooting .22s.

CPHER, i suggest you take a trip out to S&W and shoot the 5" and the 7"
and compare. If your going to shoot bullseye you don't need more thatn a
5" barrel.

my2c

JimB

Cross-X said:
Unless you get one of those gee-whiz aftermarket kits that make disassembly a snap.

The 22/45 I bought recently has it, and takedown involves nothing tougher than loosening an allen bolt.

Sweet!

URL/Linkage? Takedown is the only reason these guns are a huge turn off
for me. If I can fix that, then its a whole different ballgame. It's annoying
to have to use a HAMMER to clean a gun. :) I'm surprised ruger hasnt
done something about that from the factory.... My friend's MKIII has
never come apart and gone back together inside of an hour, I'll tell you
that much.

-Mike

drgrant said:
URL/Linkage? Takedown is the only reason these guns are a huge turn off
for me. If I can fix that, then its a whole different ballgame. It's annoying
to have to use a HAMMER to clean a gun. :) I'm surprised ruger hasnt
done something about that from the factory.... My friend's MKIII has
never come apart and gone back together inside of an hour, I'll tell you
that much.

-Mike

I've never had to take a hammer to mine. Very smooth disassemble and a quick reassembly once you get the proper angle down.

Back
Top Bottom