• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger MKI vs. II's and III's

I'm thinking about getting a .22 pistol to go along with the 10/22 rifle, since the ammo is so cheap and plentiful ;-). I have a relative with a lightly used 70's (my guess) Ruger MKI, it has the tapered barrel and some funky hand-conforming wood grips. Can I get some advice on the relative quality and value of this model vs a more recent vintage MKII or MKIII?

Keep it and shoot it! As long as there's no rust and the springs and action parts are good, punch holes with that baby! Don't worry about the newer models; many of us convert our MkIII models to MkII functionality.

Using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

I have a 1972 MK I (actually a Standard) and love it. The MKI only has a 9rd mag and doesn't hold the bolt open upon last shot, the MK II and III are 10rd and stay open at last shot. I guess the MK III has a loaded chamber indicator which adds more to the disassembly. There are mods out there for the hold open and to convert the mag to 10rd but I haven't done that. The Ruger site has all the parts for the MK series, including the older MK Is, and I purchased a couple mags, springs, extractor, firing pin, etc just for backup. Surprisingly, the parts cost is cheap. If the price is right to buy the MK I, grab it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

MKIII also has a mag disconnect safety so it won't fire with the mag removed. You don't have to remove the loaded chamber indicator, ever. I'm one of those people that completely strips their guns for cleaning. I have put my MKIII back together so many times I could do it blindfolded, which is saying something for those guns. That being said, the chamber indicator is the only part I don't remove. It is a pain in the ass. Just put a few drops of oil on the back of it and move it back and forth a few times and it is GTG. 5K rounds later and it still runs like a clock.

Keep in mind that the MKIII is NOT on the AG list anymore so whichever model you go with it will have to be used so you may as well go with the one that is available if the price is right.

Keep in mind that the MKIII is NOT on the AG list anymore so whichever model you go with it will have to be used so you may as well go with the one that is available if the price is right.

Are there *ANY* new MKIIIs legal to be transferred by an FFL, or are they ALL not legal to transfer?

Are there *ANY* new MKIIIs legal to be transferred by an FFL, or are they ALL not legal to transfer?

The AG list only applies to what a FFL can sell to a civilian. LEOs, EMTs, FFs, can still buy them. Then they can legally sell/transfer them to you. So If you know a cop then having them buy it with your money and then just FA10 it to you would be the way to go. Oh paramedics are also on the exempted list so they can get "off list" guns also.

It was something like the grips are too narrow so a child can easily hold it and it looks so different from most handguns that they are more likely to think it is a toy, blah blah..<insert more "anit-logic", wow how appropriately ironic is that phrase, anit-logic, here> that was the AGs excuse to take it off the list. Supposedly Ruger is working on a version with different grips that will make it Ma compliant but I wouldn't hold my breath...

If I were you I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a used MKIII. It takes about 1K rounds just to loosen them up! You'll have more malfunctions in the first 1K (though not too many) of it's life than in the last 1K. Once they are broken in they run like a dream and will chew up and spit out any ammo you put in it.

I just bought a brand new mkiii through an ffl and have about 500 rounds through it without a single ftf. The story told to me might not have been entirely accurate.

Just curious; didn't I see a recent thread where the info about LEOs was under some discussion and it was stated that they can onky get off list items if their CoP signs off on it?

God that firearms list y'all have to deal with is amazing. Grip is too narrow? That is BS. It is so large I'm going to have to get a mag release extention.

I'm in CT. Just bought a new MKIII last week. Shoots like a dream. Had a used MKII 20 years ago; that was good too.

The magazine disconnector on the MKIII is idiotic....will be removed as soon as I can get to it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Back in the 80's I had a pair of MKII's bull-barrel. Don't remember technical details about them, but they were among my first firearms and I absolutely loved them. Lived out in the desert, so outdoor plinking with them was a blast. If I could find one again, I'd probably pick it up.

Because as stated, MK I's use different magazines (9 round) from the new models you may have a more difficult time finding them.

Last edited:
The AG list only applies to what a FFL can sell to a civilian. LEOs, EMTs, FFs, can still buy them. Then they can legally sell/transfer them to you. So If you know a cop then having them buy it with your money and then just FA10 it to you would be the way to go. Oh paramedics are also on the exempted list so they can get "off list" guns also.

Doesn't that make it a straw purchase? Not for nefarious purposes I understand but the basic definition?

ETA: I love my mkIII. Except for the mag disconnect. And putting it back together after cleaning it.

Last edited:
I have a 1972 MK I (actually a Standard) and love it. The MKI only has a 9rd mag and doesn't hold the bolt open upon last shot, the MK II and III are 10rd and stay open at last shot. I guess the MK III has a loaded chamber indicator which adds more to the disassembly. There are mods out there for the hold open and to convert the mag to 10rd but I haven't done that. The Ruger site has all the parts for the MK series, including the older MK Is, and I purchased a couple mags, springs, extractor, firing pin, etc just for backup. Surprisingly, the parts cost is cheap. If the price is right to buy the MK I, grab it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

this. I have a MKI (standard) and a MKII bull barrel. Love them both. You can feed them anything and the bull bbl models are absolute tack-drivers.

I have a Mk1 (Bicentennial) and use Mk2/3 mags in it without issue. Post 1971 guns should be a direct swap.

My MK1 is a 73 model and the 10 rounders will not work in it.

The only problems I've had with mine are the bolt area that picks up the next round wore itself round and started skipping over the top of the next round in the mag rather than picking it up and pushing it forward. I was told it is a common problem in them and the main reason they get retired to the spare parts heap. I had to buy a new bolt and Ruger was not making them any more. I ended up finding a used one after much searching. Most of the used ones I saw were worn the same way. I also had to replace the recoil spring. Other than that it is great.

yeah my 10rd mags won't work in it either Swampy. Also, even MK1 mags do not work because of the thumb follower thingy. I've heard you can swap it to the other side but it seems like it won't work.

I like the Ruger .22 pistols... I started with this guy and did the "grip mod" back when that was the only option.

10807379.jpg

Then I started snatching these models up:

1a45eb6a_zps6366cf15.jpg

I believe you are correct, Sir.

Nope.
A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service himself, and the agent transfers the goods/services to that person after purchasing them. Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods/services

It IS legal for one of "us" to purchase an off list gun just not from a dealer. As long as the person who ends up with the gun is properly licensed to own it and doesn't commit a crime with it then its' all good.

My father, a former LEO, carries a non Ma Kahr 40 that was purchased for him by a friend still on the job. A true straw purchase would ba a licensed person, or non prohibited person in states that don't license, going out and buying guns for non-licensed or prohibited person who otherwise could not get a gun through legal means...

I wouldn't test out your interpretations with MA laws the way they are, and definitely would not be posting about it. What is that excerpt from? I have not seen ANYTHING regarding MA laws that specifically say "straw purchares are legal" in any form.

I wouldn't test out your interpretations with MA laws the way they are, and definitely would not be posting about it. What is that excerpt from? I have not seen ANYTHING regarding MA laws that specifically say "straw purchares are legal" in any form.

The term applies to more than just firearms. That quote was from Straw purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Here is a link to a pdf about straw purchases from the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/strawPurchase.pdf

Paragraph one says
A straw purchase occurs when the actual buyer of a firearm is unable to pass the required federal background check, or does not want his or her full name associated with the purchase, and has someone else who can pass the required background check purchase the firearm for him or her.

Straw purchasing, as it pertains to firearms, is all about someone who is not allowed to own the gun getting it and not having their info attached to it in any way. Remember that when you file the FA10 you are registering that gun in your name with the state.

The AG regs ONLY APPLY TO A DEALERS ABILITY TO SELL. Not to your ability to legally own, possess, transfer, or BUY the gun. The only ting you can't do is do an FFL transfer of the gun to another "civilian" since the FFL can't "sell" it to them after they take possession for the transfer. You can FTF it to any properly licensed person.

If you went in to a dealer and the dealer sold you, a licensed person, an off list gun you have done nothing wrong the dealer has.

Talk to the dealers here about it. Most dealers will let you do the FA10 on the counter after the initial sale.

@ Wrench75:

The ATF has succesfully prosecuted straw purchases where both the buyer and the receiver were legal and not prohibited persons.

Your interpretation of what constitutes a straw purchase is skewed and you shouldn't be propagating BAD information on here.

*none of what I wrote above has anything to do with MA state law*

I understand that you can sell FTF off-list guns no problem, I have done it myself. But saying that you should have a LEO buddy buy a gun exclusively so he can turn around and pass it on to you via FTF transfer is a no-no. If he buys one, hangs on to it for a few months or a year or whatever and decides he doesn't like it, he can sell it to whoever he wants. Proving that is obviously the tricky part, but that's why saying "My father, a former LEO, carries a non Ma Kahr 40 that was purchased for him by a friend still on the job" is not the best idea because it paints a pretty clear picture of a straw purchase. Same with "So If you know a cop then having them buy it with your money and then just FA10 it to you would be the way to go." - has red flags waving all over the place for Martha's henchmen.

Anyways, don't mean to clutter up this thread with lame MA law junk. Ruger MK's rule and you should buy any and all of them.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

The topic has drifted a bit, but my take away is that the MKI is a fine firearm, even compared to its' more modern offspring. My intention is to make an offer to get the pistol back on the range, since it hasn't been fired for over 20 years (I think I fired its last shot at Harvard before the owner became my father-in-law). Not many posts talked about value, but $250-300 seems reasonable?

Here in CT for the past couple of months I didn't see a MKI or MKII for less than $300.

I got tired of looking for a reasonably priced used gun, so last week I bought a new MKIII for $359.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom