• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LCR .38 vs 9mm

Ive been thinking about buying a dedicated pocket pistol for a while now and I think I’ve settled on a Ruger LCR. I don’t own any revolvers yet so that’s why I’d like to add one, specifically the lcr because of the ability to change the front site.

Anyway, wondering about the NES experience with the lcr. Considering the .38 and 9mm. I shot .38 from a .357 model Sunday and it was pleasant, the .357 I tried....not so much! I like that the .38 is only 13.5oz, but I like that I already stock 9mm which would share with the revolver. The only things holding me back from the 9mm is the weight (which is almost that of my shield), the moon clips (which seem like a pain in the ass), and the possibility of rounds “jumping the crimp” as is rumored to happen.

Hoping the brain trust can weigh in and help out a revolver noob!

Ive been thinking about buying a dedicated pocket pistol for a while now and I think I’ve settled on a Ruger LCR. I don’t own any revolvers yet so that’s why I’d like to add one, specifically the lcr because of the ability to change the front site.

Anyway, wondering about the NES experience with the lcr. Considering the .38 and 9mm. I shot .38 from a .357 model Sunday and it was pleasant, the .357 I tried....not so much! I like that the .38 is only 13.5oz, but I like that I already stock 9mm which would share with the revolver. The only things holding me back from the 9mm is the weight (which is almost that of my shield), the moon clips (which seem like a pain in the ass), and the possibility of rounds “jumping the crimp” as is rumored to happen.

If you've narrowed it down to 38 or 9mm and your deciding on which call don't see where jumping the crimp is a concern. Don't see where 9mm would jump the crimp more than 38 or visa versa.

As for moon clips......yup they are a pain in the ass......when your at the range. If your like many pocket rocket revolver carriers and plan to carry it alot and shoot it only a couple times a month you'll enjoy the moon clips for the reload capability in a defensive situation. I carry a j frame 38 smith alot in the summer......and shoot it actually 3-4 times a month and have never had a crimp jump problem in fact the gun has never malfunctioned in 5 years of shooting it that often.

I've always kept a J frame around and carry one often. In all the years I've been shooting J frames, Never had one fail for any reason. I presently have a 49 bodyguard, a 638 and a 649, .357. All of them have been totally reliable and with todays quality ammo, they are even better at what they do. Still hard to beat a 4", .45acp, commander though.

Last edited:
I went with 9mm for the same reasons you stated. I only have crimp jump with certain ammo (blazer brass). I've had zero with aguilla, magtech, and winchester white. As for moon clips, I like them better than individually loading.

Yeah, moon clips not such a big deal except when it comes to carrying a reload. 38's in a speed strip much easier to slip into a pocket.

9MM snubby not like a small 9MM auto in regards to felt recoil....it really thumps.

I have both and like both...but lately I favor the 38.

I have not shot the 9mm LCR or any other 9mm snubby, but I have a .38 Special LCR that I have used as an EDC for about 5 years. I use several different +P loads depending on what is available and feel I shoot it pretty well. As far as recoil, the +P are fairly stout, but to me, seem controllable.

When I practice, I use regular .38 loads for most of my shooting, and finish with 3 or 4 cylinders of the carry ammo. I would shoot a lot more of the +P carry ammo but for the fact my severe arthritis in both wrists makes it painful to do so. Speed strips carry my reloads.

I had an LCR in 9mm. If I didn’t have adhd I’d still have it! It was an excellent gun light and carried amazingly well. I pointed and shot that thing like it was part of my hand. I did have crimp jump, but only with cheap Wally World 10$ ammo. Interesting fact, however it did like steel cases ammo! If you read Consolidated List of Boberg Compatible 9mm Ammunition – Boberg Arms | XR9-S | Power. Performance. Prestige. this it will give you all you need to know about crimp jump in non revolver cases. One of the pieces I regretted parting with for sure. Buy with confidence! Also just a quick side note, some aftermarket sight manufacturers don’t make sights for the 9mm version (big dot is one that comes to mind) but do for the .38.

have the .38, was my first EDC. haven't shot it in a couple of years, but if i was buying another lcr, i would go with the 9mm. never heard of crimp jump with them. carried 2 speed loaders of .38 without an issue, 2 moon clips of 9 would take up less space and lighter

have the .38, was my first EDC. haven't shot it in a couple of years, but if i was buying another lcr, i would go with the 9mm. never heard of crimp jump with them. carried 2 speed loaders of .38 without an issue, 2 moon clips of 9 would take up less space and lighter
A big part of why Im choosing a small revolver is for deep concealment where I probably can’t carry a reload. For these purposes it’s more of a 5 and done scenario. Thinking I’d also carry it while at the gym or running.

As an aside if anyone has any tips for gym/running carry let me know!

A big part of why Im choosing a small revolver is for deep concealment where I probably can’t carry a reload. For these purposes it’s more of a 5 and done scenario. Thinking I’d also carry it while at the gym or running.

As an aside if anyone has any tips for gym/running carry let me know!

got it. in that scenario, go with the .38 it is probably lower priced than the 9mm, and packs more punch. but will have a bit more kick than .38's you tried out of the .357. nothing you can't manage though with a bit of range time. first time i shot it i immediately thought " oh sh*t, i just wasted $400.00 on a gun i can't handle" now i can shoot it left or right handed one hand and i'm not a big guy

Keep in mind the 9mm is a heavier gun. 13.5 vs 17.5.

Some of the modern ammo specifically for .38 snubbies has great ballistics.

wadcutters won't jump the crimp

Don't underestimate the convenience of sharing ammo with your handguns. You buy a case of 9, you're good for multiple guns (revolver, handgun, carbine, etc.).

When I was looking at this scenario I went with a .38 mainly just because it was lighter, CHEAPER, and in my mind what is expected for a pocket revolver. The benefits of a 9mm revolver might be there for the case where you shoot a lot of 9 mm already and so then you can just slightly adjust your purchase level to account for more guns in that bracket. My 9 mm is my least used gun so I decided to branch out to .38 and now I have two revolvers (well 3 if you count the .22) which both individually get out more than the 9.

Here is a picture of my ruger revolver family.

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_144702470.jpg
    IMG_20180112_144702470.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 55
When I was looking at this scenario I went with a .38 mainly just because it was lighter, CHEAPER, and in my mind what is expected for a pocket revolver. The benefits of a 9mm revolver might be there for the case where you shoot a lot of 9 mm already and so then you can just slightly adjust your purchase level to account for more guns in that bracket. My 9 mm is my least used gun so I decided to branch out to .38 and now I have two revolvers (well 3 if you count the .22) which both individually get out more than the 9.

Here is a picture of my ruger revolver family.

I'm a Ruger fan as well. Is that a security size or speed six?

.38 is roll crimped vs. 9mm which is taper crimped. Much more rare to get .38 ammo to jump crimp. If you do go 9mm test your carry ammo fairly extensively to make sure the bullets stay put. Use a caliper to measure, don’t just eyeball it.

A jumped crimp could lock up your pistol right when your life depends on it.

Does the 9mm need the moon clips to load, or just eject?

Before I’m flamed for a stupid question, I’m serious. I have a Blackhawk .45ACP and my friend has a Colt double action, and both guns can be loaded without the clip (duh in the case of the Blackhawk), but the Colt won’t eject them, so they need to be pushed out individually like the BH does.

If the LCR can load without a clip, it would be great for reloads. Carry one with the clip, eject all at once and load individually, since that’s more convienent than carrying a clip. Real life I sometimes don’t even carry a reload, so anything to make it easier is a plus.

Does the 9mm need the moon clips to load, or just eject?
Just to eject. If you don't use moon clips, then you'll have to poke out the brass. Do NOT use steel-cased ammo. Steel will expand but not retract and will become tightly lodged in the chamber.

I had the lcr in 38. Kinda sorry I sold it and will probably get another. I’d stick with a 38 over 9 in a revolver. Just my opinion.

The 9mm outperforms the 38 ballistically, but you have to choose 9mm ammo carefully. 9mm is meant to feed from closed magazines, not a long cylinder throat so some 9mm isn't crimped enough. With the 9mm recoil you may see bullet jump. The bullets might pull themselves out or atleast stretch oal of the cartridge. Most ammo will be fine but try out each different bullet choice before you carry it if you choose to and if you pick 9mm.

oops sorry rocket500 I just saw your post. You beat me to it fair and square

9mm revolvers are kinda stupid if you ask me. If you want an lcr go with a .38 or .357.

I have the 38 w the big dot sight, I really like it. I could be wrong since I never tried it but the moon clips just seem like an unnecessary PITA to me.

Back
Top Bottom