Ruger LCP II - or an alternative?

Hey guys, looking for a pocket pistol for summer carry at a sub $400 price point. The S&W bodyguard doesn't look that promising and I was sold on the ruger LCP2, however when i contacted my local gun store - i guess it's against the rules for them to sell it. Which means I have to get it through a private sale - however haven't seen any one selling the LCP 2 for months. Do any of you guys have any suggestions in regards to legally buying one or another gun you would recommend?

Thanks!

Hey guys, looking for a pocket pistol for summer carry at a sub $400 price point. The S&W bodyguard doesn't look that promising and I was sold on the ruger LCP2, however when i contacted my local gun store - i guess it's against the rules for them to sell it. Which means I have to get it through a private sale - however haven't seen any one selling the LCP 2 for months. Do any of you guys have any suggestions in regards to legally buying one or another gun you would recommend?

Thanks!
Shield 9mm?

LC9s isn't that much bigger than the LCP and it's a nice gun with a great trigger. If you're a big guy you can easily pocket-carry an LC9s in a Desantis Nemesis or similar.

BTW, my BodyGuard isn't THAT bad. I shoot it better than I expected with the factory mile-long trigger. I just order the Galloway trigger kit which should make it a good gun for the $.

thanks for your input guys, I'll do more research into the bodyguard - I think the 9mm's are just a bit too big for what i'm looking for. I mainly wear gym shorts/athletic shorts and want something a bit more compact and light weight. I know they would be fine with my cargo shorts and all but think i'm learning towards something a bit smaller for now. Only problem is finding someone who has one for sale unfortunately. I suppose i'll go with the bodyguard if one doesn't turn up in the nextcouple of weeks

I was hoping Springfield would bring their 911 to MA. Am planning on picking up an LC9S anyway. They're clearing out the remaining stock at very attractive prices.

hmm not a bad idea ill look into the lc9s as well. Looks pretty compact. I watched a side by side comparison of them w/ the lcr2 - it's a little bigger of course but could be a good contender if I don't find one. Thanks for the suggestion guys

I was hoping Springfield would bring their 911 to MA. Am planning on picking up an LC9S anyway. They're clearing out the remaining stock at very attractive prices.

they were added to the May roster, unless the A G thinks they're Glocks

The springfield 911 looks pretty good as well, looks well-made but about 2x the price of the lcr2. Might be a dealbreaker for me but sometimes you have to pay for quality. Definitely will do more research into that gun as well

If you come across a CW380 or P380, those are also great pocket options in my opinion. They actually do fit in your pocket.

Last edited:
I actually really like my Bodyguard. I carry it frequently, with MagGuts +1 springs/followers in the mags and a set of tritium sights. My lighter/smaller carry guns also include a Shield, J frame 438, and a Seecamp.

The Kahr would be a great option. I don't like the sights on the LCP, but it may not matter much if you are in a situation where you have to use it (besides, I can't complain about sights when the Seecamp doesn't have any). A Seecamp and NAA Guardian are going to be heavy compared to any polymer gun. The J frame isn't for everybody.

Don't listen to online "wisdom" about the Bodyguard. It's colored heavily by the early purchasers who got guns that were truly terrible. I'd never buy a first gen gun with the original laser. Go to a shop and play with the M&P version without a laser and see if you can get the hang of the trigger (it'll smooth out with dry fire practice and the Galloway kits are good). If you like it, go for it. It's a bit smaller, thinner, and lighter than most of the other options, so if you really want to pocket carry, it could be the right choice.

Just in case I wasn't clear (I don't think I was), the trigger on the BG380 does suck. The trigger on all of these guns (maybe not Sig P238 since it's single action) all suck. But the M&P version of the BG was a huge improvement and the gun definitely has some benefits to others designed for similar use.

Thanks for the insight on that. I'm going to head to the gunstore tomorrow and check it out. Sounds like a good solution for what i'm looking for. I'll probably end up getting the galloway kit if I end up getting the Bodyguard. Thanks once again!

Outside of the classifieds and armlist - is there any other places you guys recommend to find someone who might have the lcr2 for sale I'd be willing to pay a premium

Outside of the classifieds and armlist - is there any other places you guys recommend to find someone who might have the lcr2 for sale I'd be willing to pay a premium

I can't help you there but I will say that my LCP (not LCP 2) is an excellent little ankle/ inside coat pocket gun. I don't do pants pocket carry, but I have carried it on the ankle, in a coat pocket, and in a leather IWB holster. That little gun has eaten all kinds of ammo and not given me any problems.

If I can't get the lcp2 I might get the lcp, someones selling it on the forums but i'd have to get a couple upgrades for it as well but better than nothing

Does anyone know if it would be legal for me to buy the Ruger lcp2 in new hampshire than EFA-10 it when I am in MA?

A handgun would have to be shipped to an FFL in MA to transfer. So you would have to find an FFL in MA that would be willing to do the transfer for you.

Back
Top Bottom