Ruger LC9 - Techna clip head's up

I recently added a Technaclip (http://technaclip.com/) to my LC9, so that I have the option to grab it quickly as I'm going out the door and carry it at 6'oclock w/o a holster. Basically I was after a quick, cheap carry solution until I pick up a crossbreed or equivalent, and the LC9 is small enough and comfortable enough to carry in this way, for me anyway.

The install was simple enough, and the product certainly works as intended. What I discovered was NOT intended was that it puts too much pressure on the frame right where the trigger bar sits, so the bar would not reset properly after firing a round! Thankfully I discovered this at the range...

I fixed it by bending the clip in the right spot, moving the pressure point back away from the trigger bar (see pics), and using thread lock so I didn't have to set the screw quite as tightly as I had before. So far so good.

Moral of the story...if you are considering a Techna clip on any polymer framed gun, make sure you test fire it to verify the clip is not interfering with the trigger mechanics!

IMAG0669.jpg IMAG0671.jpg

EDIT: Originally posted I would probably buy the left side clip to permanently resolve this, but I just checked and they only offer the left side for the .380 version.

Last edited:
I have a Blackhawk holster too (but I got ripped off at $12 apparently), but for me it rides too high compared to the clip approach, at least at 6 o'clock. YMMV of course. Probably will get a mini-tuck at some point.

Sure looks to me like your trigger bar is bent. Might be the camera playing tricks but sure looks like it's bent outward. Here's a couple pics of mine. Looks quite different.

2012-10-18_17-30-59_96.jpg 2012-10-18_17-31-16_956.jpg

i dont know how i feel about this

X2 but it definitely conceals well.

OP, what condition do you carry when using that?

3_big.jpg

I used to carry a J frame with the Barami Hip Grip and then the Desantis Clip Grip (same concept as the Techna Clip). I burned through alot of money trying out holsters, pretty much everything I try rides WAY too high for my liking. For the past year I got the idea to cut the back pocket out of my old jeans and sew them into my pants at around 4 O'clock. So far it's the most comfortable and concealable method of carry for me, I carry that way with a S&W 640, Ruger SR9C, and a Walther PPK.

Ill try to get a couple pics up tomorrow. So far it's worked out really well and makes for a very concealable and comfortable carry method without the bulk of a holster. It's really no different than just sticking the gun right in your waistband only this way it wont fall down your pantleg, and with your belt tightened it wont fall out either. I was thinking of buying some of the clips off the crossbreed website that they use on their supertucks, that way I don't have to constantly sew new pockets everytime I get a new pair of paints, also it would enable you to tuck in your shirt over the gun.

I put one on my BG380 and it works well. Install is easy too. Can be removed quickley if you choose to go back to a holster.

@Turbo89 - about 6 o'clock / small of the back is how I've been carrying w/ the techa clip, hooked off my belt. Tried pocket carry with both the clip and a Desantis holster, but the LC9 is just a little too big for me to carry that way.

@Chopper_man - must have been the light, no bends on my trigger bar and it moves freely.

IMAG0677.jpg IMAG0685.jpg

I ran into the same issues as the OP this morning. I found instead of bending it, the addition of a 18-8 flat washer (23AMMS15795-804) provided the gap needed to keep the clip from compressing the plastic outer onto the trigger bar.

Back
Top Bottom