Rte. 1/152

Fixxah

NES Member
Heading for the short grass this morning, we came over the hill on the southbound side of Rte. 1S near Target and saw two cruisers with lights flashing. They took up the right lane and the breakdown lane. The officer's on scene were rapping on the window of an Audi convertible to get the driver's attention. They kept knocking on the window.
The vehicle's brake lights were on and I figured the driver was passed out. I kept thinking, "just rock the car and occupant will wake up". Then I thought about the possibility of a deceased driver and had they shaken him and his foot left the brake they would have a runaway auto.
Anybody know how this turned out and what are the procedures for such an incident?

Heading for the short grass this morning, we came over the hill on the southbound side of Rte. 1S near Target and saw two cruisers with lights flashing. They took up the right lane and the breakdown lane. The officer's on scene were rapping on the window of an Audi convertible to get the driver's attention. They kept knocking on the window.
The vehicle's brake lights were on and I figured the driver was passed out. I kept thinking, "just rock the car and occupant will wake up". Then I thought about the possibility of a deceased driver and had they shaken him and his foot left the brake they would have a runaway auto.
Anybody know how this turned out and what are the procedures for such an incident?

Depends if there was a person actually in medical distress in the car.
You call for medical assistance, clear it with the supervisor then gain entry by whatever means available (brick, stick, foot, elbow) and assess the driver (if you think you need to clear it, in this case, I would just go over the air with my intent, let the supervisor deal with it later if he has a problem with it).
When there's exigent circumstances (i.e. medical emergency), better to err on the side of caution. Windows are covered by insurance, the guy's life is a bit harder to replace.

Could have been a medical emergency or a drunk driver. Similar experience where the drunk driver didn't want to acknowledge us knocking on his window for his license and registration.

I was more interested in the knowing when you have reached the point where the car gets rocked a little, or the glass is smashed etc. From the look that I got, the guy was an old man and still had color of life in him.

Back
Top Bottom