Rosenthal in the Globe again 11/27

rep308

NES Member
Same crap about the gun show loophole and out of state guns

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...es/2008/11/27/a_chance_for_sensible_gun_laws/

WITH THE historic election of Barack Obama, the nation finally has an opportunity to enact sensible national gun policy. Obama should look to big cities, especially Boston, for guidance.

Big-city mayors know all too well the devastating impact a failed national gun policy has had on people living in urban America. Most of the 83 Americans who die every day from gun violence live in cities. The average annual US death toll from guns is 34,000 Americans. Comparatively, over the past 30 years, 1,035,000 Americans have died from guns in the United States versus 655,000 US service men and women killed in all foreign wars combined.

In 1999, with active support and funding for cities and the hard work of law enforcement, the United States experienced its lowest violent-crime rate in 30 years. Since George W. Bush took office in 2000, funding for community policing and economic opportunities for the poor have been curtailed and mayors across the country have struggled with the repercussions of a Congress and president unwilling to stand up to the powerful special-interest gun lobby.

Consequently, cutbacks in inner-city programs and law enforcement, comgined with the gun lobby being allowed to dictate gun police, have resulted in unrestricted access to guns and a prohibition on police sharing critical crime-gun trace data even among law enforcement.

No surprise that gun violence has risen steadily over the past eight years. There isn't even a law requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales in 32 states, and criminals and terrorists have been proven to exploit this dangerous loophole in federal law. Is it any wonder why America is the gun violence capital of the world and US urban areas have become war zones?

Nonetheless, there's tremendous hope. Boston has continued to lead the nation in effective community policing, law enforcement, and gun violence prevention initiatives.

Mayor Thomas Menino was the first big-city mayor to lead the nation in gun violence prevention. In the 1990s, Boston made history with its dramatic reduction in gang-related gun violence, and by 2001, largely because of efforts in Boston, Massachusetts had the lowest firearm fatality rate in the nation.

Since then, with little federal support, Menino has continued to demonstrate strong leadership. Against incredible odds and with more than 60 percent of guns traced to crimes coming from out of state, including Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont (which do not require background checks), Boston has sustained and developed new community policing and law enforcement strategies that have continued to build trust with residents and taken thousands of guns off the streets. Through the end of August 2008, there has been a 22 percent decrease in gun-related homicides in Boston and a 5 percent decline in nonfatal shootings versus the same period in 2007.

In the absence of leadership in Washington, Menino also co-founded, with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Mayor's Against Illegal Guns, a coalition of more than 325 mayors from 40 states that advocates for best practices, develops innovative policies, and supports legislation at the national, state, and local levels that helps law enforcement target illegal guns.

Obama favors closing the gun show loophole and renewing the expired Assault Weapons Ban. He also wants to repeal of Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts cities and police departments from getting access to gun trace data.

Obama should also look to see what Menino has done in Boston and what Massachusetts has done overall to reduce gun violence. These successful initiatives, if replicated nationwide, would save lives immediately, and would not negatively impact responsible and law-abiding gun owners.

John Rosenthal is co-founder of Stop Handgun Violence, Common Sense About Kids and Guns and American Hunters and Shooters Association.

Nonetheless, there's tremendous hope. Boston has continued to lead the nation in effective community policing, law enforcement, and gun violence prevention initiatives.
Does this mean that gangbangers will finally have to be responsible for their actions ? I'm glad the rest of the nation isn't following the poor excuse of leadership Boston leaders have shown in the past. Come on Rosenthal......let's at least TRY to get a clue.[rolleyes][rolleyes]

Articles like this are so unfair to law abiding gun owners.

Never once, have I ever read anything about people that have had firearms around them, for say 10-20-30 years without one incident.

One individual has a incident, deny everyone is their Motto.

Lucky Rosenthal isn't running the RMV in MA.

Where's the fairness doctrine now???

I'd really like to start an email campaign against the group that put up the WAY erroneous billboard near Landsowne St. on the MA Pike.

Anyone in?

He is getting owned in the comments section, and it looks like some of the posters aren't even gun owners. Hope is alive indeed!

Those comments are reassuring and surprising being in the Globe.

Rosenthal is a pussy and a coward.

I sometimes wonder if the editors just let him write to fill space in the Globe. Complete and utter drivel IMO. No wonder readership is down. Great feedback comments though!

Where's the fairness doctrine now???

I'd really like to start an email campaign against the group that put up the WAY erroneous billboard near Landsowne St. on the MA Pike.

Anyone in?

It's not a group. THe building is OWNED by Rosenthal - which is how the s-bag gets away with it.

Rosenthal-itis!!

If it wasn't for you people who are able to read the garbage that this AHSA-hole spouts, I would be oblivious to his rantings!!! But being the holiday that it is I thought I'd break with my policy and see what this moron has to say!!! Well he didn't disappoint me, I atleast made it to a few paragraphs when all his stats showed his complete ignorance and that was enough for me!! Where in blue blazes do these clowns get all these figures they always have on tap?? Over 1,000,000 killed in 30 or whatever years compared to 600,000 in war's!!What the hell does that have to do with the 2nd ammend. or the right to defend your self or family and friends!! Oh excuse me the bill of rights doesn't count, good grief, when will it end!!

I enjoyed these two bits running on the same day in the Glob.

First, Rosie's idiotic little missive.

WITH THE historic election of Barack Obama, the nation finally has an opportunity to enact sensible national gun policy. Obama should look to big cities, especially Boston, for guidance.

And...

Violent Thanksgiving in Boston

BOSTON—Two people were shot and killed and three were injured during the early hours of Thanksgiving Day in Boston.

Police on Thursday found a 29-year-old man lying on the sidewalk, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds in the Mattapan neighborhood.

More than an hour later, another man was found suffering from a single gunshot wound inside a Talbot St. home in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood.

They were taken to Boston Medical Center, where they were pronounced dead.

Two other people were shot and a third suffered cuts to the face from glass at the intersection of Prescott and Bremen Streets.

Yeah, Boston's quite the f***ing role model, you raging assclown.

The press these days is nothing but a worthless political propaganda tool. Every time you hear about a gun-related death, there is no investigative reporting whatsoever on the perp and how/where he got his weapon. Clearly the press and the anti-gun public see no distinction between law-abiding firearms owners and felonious street thugs.

I think the only way to change this at the grass-roots level. I'm sure we all have friends and family who don't have their license, don't shoot, and really don't even think about the 2nd Amendment. I see no reason why we have to "stay in the closet"... it's up to us to change the perceptions.

The link works for me. I read the comments last night and Rose-boy was getting pounded. At last look there were sixty plus and he is still getting hammered. The more this clown spouts the more he looks to be the fool he is.
Charlie

The press these days is nothing but a worthless political propaganda tool. Every time you hear about a gun-related death, there is no investigative reporting whatsoever on the perp and how/where he got his weapon. Clearly the press and the anti-gun public see no distinction between law-abiding firearms owners and felonious street thugs.

I think the only way to change this at the grass-roots level. I'm sure we all have friends and family who don't have their license, don't shoot, and really don't even think about the 2nd Amendment. I see no reason why we have to "stay in the closet"... it's up to us to change the perceptions.

And that's unfortunate. The press has really been reduced to this. I wish it was more informative and showed less bias.

From your previous posts, I take it your a new gun owner. Be sure to join GOAL (state), and the NRA or GOA (national). There's also other great organizations like JPFO that are certainly worth joining. I have no qualms about giving these organizations monthly or quarterly dues. It's money well spent in my view.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble getting the comments there to show up?

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...es/2008/11/27/a_chance_for_sensible_gun_laws/

I think it takes a few seconds to populate. I've already posted a few times there. There's only one other Rosen-Douche apologist on there. Otherwise, he's getting served.

What's especially ironic is that there's also a report that there were two murders on Thanksgiving morning. How damn ironic.

From your previous posts, I take it your a new gun owner. Be sure to join GOAL (state), and the NRA or GOA (national). There's also other great organizations like JPFO that are certainly worth joining. I have no qualms about giving these organizations monthly or quarterly dues. It's money well spent in my view.

Yes, I'm new. Not even a gun-owner yet. My wife and both just took the LTC class last weekend and we're now rounding up our letters of reference (don't get me started on that) and will be submitting our paperwork soon.

I've been a member of NRA in the past even though I've never owned a gun, and I'll be renewing my membership there and will be joining GOAL soon. What is JPFO?

Yes, I'm new. Not even a gun-owner yet. My wife and both just took the LTC class last weekend and we're now rounding up our letters of reference (don't get me started on that) and will be submitting our paperwork soon.

I've been a member of NRA in the past even though I've never owned a gun, and I'll be renewing my membership there and will be joining GOAL soon. What is JPFO?

*cough.....*cough

Thanks for supporting the cause. I joined the NRA shortly before I was a gun owner too. JPFO is Jews for the Preservation of Firearms, founded by Aaron Zelman.

And no, you don't need to be Jewish to join: www.jpfo.org.

Back
Top Bottom