Romanian AK47 ?

Hardwired

NES Member
What does one need to look for in a Romanian AK47?
I saw one under 700 with fixed wood stock and handguard. Said it wasn't a WASR but I don't anything else about it accept it appears to have had some use and has a bayonet mount.

I was eying the East German DDR Ak that Atlantic had but looks like their gone.
Was originally thinking of an SKS as another cheap 7.62x39 but don't like the idea of toploading

Most Romanian AKs have the model scribed or stamped somewhere on the receiver. SAR1 models were considered to be some of the best ones while WASRs were a little lower on the quality scale. No matter what model, it should run just fine.

Biggest thing is to look down the sights and check to make sure they're not canted. Some Romis have crooked front sight blocks. I heard a while ago that the Romanian AKs that end up in the US are built off rifles that were rejected by the Romanian military. Most likely due to crooked sights and some other minor issues that they just didn't feel were worth fixing and were better sold to the US market.

There is one benifit to all of the trash talkiing attributed to Romanian AK's (A lot of it justified), and that is that if you can find a nice one, the bulk of messed up Romanians will bring the price down.

If you want quality I would look into an Arsenal, although I don't own one, they are the preferred choice amongst AK owners from what I have read.

With regards to the Romanian, it will have it stamped on the reciever, something like "Romanian 7.62x39 built by..." You want to look down the sights and see if they are canted, if they are don't buy it - there are plenty out there, despite what is said, that are perfectly fine, just wait until you find it then buy that one. You also want to make sure the gasblock isnt canted either. Thats basically it man.

When you finally buy it, there are a few recommended basic upgrades I would suggest. First being a G2 trigger group, easy enough you can do it yourself. Also while your at it, take out the shepherds crook and get the Kreb's Custom Retainer Plate (Just look it up Gabe Suarez has threads about it on WarriorTalk). Maybe a new grip if you dont like the stock, a sling and a red dot if you wannna get fancy. Other than that, have fun there are beasts and will perform every time, all the time - A very reliable sturdy weapon for sure.

What does one need to look for in a Romanian AK47?
I saw one under 700 with fixed wood stock and handguard. Said it wasn't a WASR but I don't anything else about it accept it appears to have had some use and has a bayonet mount.

I was eying the East German DDR Ak that Atlantic had but looks like their gone.
Was originally thinking of an SKS as another cheap 7.62x39 but don't like the idea of toploading

Was it an M10? Probably not because all the examples I've seen have synthetic furniture? I have one and it has plastic everything.

Back
Top Bottom