• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Road trip to Greenville Maine suggestions.

I mentioned it prior in a post as OP is staying right around the corner from them.

The food is always consistently very good and has been for many years. We ate there often when on the boat along with The Birches. They are better on quality than the Birches and likely one of the best places on the water up here. That said The Birches doesn’t suck. I just got some really lousy food one day last fall. Like get this away from me please. No idea what happened and I’m sure Paul was not doing the cooking that day.

I was in Kelly’s yesterday for some cold beers with a friend when we were done fishing.

ETA. Maynard’s is for sale I’m told by several sources. 3.?? million is the asking. 30ish acres on Moose River. Ate a nice breakfast yesterday. We have had an annual group trip up to them for years during Fly In weekend. BYO drinks is always a hoot with that group. 😂
So is Kelly's a good place for a pint or two? My son and I will be looking for a place for a "barley pop" once we get checked into the hotel.

There used to be a place across the street from.zkelly's, up the hill. More of a bar than a restaurant. Can't remember the name or if it's even still open.

Of course there was the place in GV Junction, on the corner before Kelly's, same side. When you saw the plywood go up covering the windows, you knew "Bodies in Motion" was in town.

There’s not many direct ways in without going past “Home of the skidded tire donut” without adding over 100 miles to the trip or running the dirt roads in here from 201.
The last couple times the wife and I have been up north we’ve come up through The Forks and 201. But we are usually making a point of running dirt as much as possible.

but I did catch a nice brookie.
Nice, there is just something different about Maine brookies.

Indian Pond on the old flooded rail bed.
First of all, lower your voice! That’s where the wife and I go to get away. At the longest stretch we’ve spent two weeks there.

IMG_0077.jpeg

Last edited:
ln

The last couple times the wife and I have been up north we’ve come up through The Forks and 201. But we are usually making a point of running dirt as much as possible.

Nice, there is just something different about Maine brookies.

First of all, lower your voice! That’s where the wife and I go to get away. At the longest stretch we’ve spent two weeks there.

View attachment 764737
I'm all in for a long dirt road......where is this dirt road you speak of?

The area is loaded with them! But if you’ve never really been up that way, a cool place for you and your son to check out is the B52 crash on the east side of the lake. It’s a nice dirt road drive in and out.

But overall if you just want to cruise dirt roads, there are enough to fill a lifetime of driving. If you’re going to go for a drive, I highly suggest picking up a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. You can pick one up at Indian Hill. Or pretty much any little store, gas station, etc etc.

If you want to see moose the bog, next to the highway garage just south of town is usually a guarantee at dusk. But, they outnumber people up there, so, it’s not hard to run into one.

If you guys want to do a little wading and maybe hook a salmon, head up Lily Bay Rd to Kakadjo and hit the roach river. The lobster roll at the trading post is surprisingly good for where you are. Although, Fred and Marie are as appealing as sour milk…..

The area is loaded with them! But if you’ve never really been up that way, a cool place for you and your son to check out is the B52 crash on the east side of the lake. It’s a nice dirt road drive in and out.

But overall if you just want to cruise dirt roads, there are enough to fill a lifetime of driving. If you’re going to go for a drive, I highly suggest picking up a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. You can pick one up at Indian Hill. Or pretty much any little store, gas station, etc etc.

If you want to see moose the bog, next to the highway garage just south of town is usually a guarantee at dusk. But, they outnumber people up there, so, it’s not hard to run into one.

If you guys want to do a little wading and maybe hook a salmon, head up Lily Bay Rd to Kakadjo and hit the roach river. The lobster roll at the trading post is surprisingly good for where you are. Although, Fred and Marie are as appealing as sour milk…..
Marie is an acquired taste.

I love her to death; you know exactly where you stand with her.

Holy shit a b52 crash site? We're going!

Glad I asked the nes folks what to check put! Well be leaving early so we can get to the b52 site for sure.

Love that area, my wife's uncle had an off grid home on Moxie pond, lake? It was over 7 miles off grid. From there we would atv to Grenville, and also travel the miles and miles of dirt roads, never knowing where the hell we were. Saw moose daily, and probably 100 rabbits daily.
There is some dense forest up there, some of the best atving I've ever done.

There used to be a place across the street from.zkelly's, up the hill. More of a bar than a restaurant. Can't remember the name or if it's even still open.

Of course there was the place in GV Junction, on the corner before Kelly's, same side. When you saw the plywood go up covering the windows, you knew "Bodies in Motion" was in town.
Woodys is up on the hill. Midget wrestling and the ballet dancers are up there regularly. Fun spot.
That was the former Railroad Cafe. Right on the corner across from Brenton’s Store.
Long gone. Crazy place. Crazier owner.

What was the name of the place where Dockside is now? They had all kinds of whacky shit all over the menu. I remember one of them being of you ran down the dock and jumped into the water naked your party ate for free. I really want to say Froggys, but that was probably 15 years ago now.

Lake moxie to Indian Pond Rd. Don’t forget to check out Moxie Falls. Easy walk. Indian Pond Rd to Brocha Rd. (Dyer Rd if you really want to see your own tail lights. 😂)
Brocha dumps you right into Greenville Jct. super easy road.
Run further up to Capital Rd and head up to Adams Dam then climb up Misery Ridge for the most unspoiled view around. Continue on Somerset to Rockwood. Rockwood Bar and Grill is a good stop.

The 52 site is in my back yard. Literally. Lily Bay Rd to either Mountain View or easier is Prong Pond Rd. It’s well signed. You won’t see the scattering of that plane this time of year but it’s a pretty moving site.
The book “Final Mision, The North Woods” is available at The Corner Store downtown. Super easy read and very informative.

What was the name of the place where Dockside is now? They had all kinds of whacky shit all over the menu. I remember one of them being of you ran down the dock and jumped into the water naked your party ate for free. I really want to say Froggys, but that was probably 15 years ago now.
It was Reds Lakeside then The Black Frog. f***ing crazy place. Total nut show. The owner started another famous place that the name escapes me now but arson couldn’t be proved and I’ll leave it at that.

Love that area, my wife's uncle had an off grid home on Moxie pond, lake? It was over 7 miles off grid. From there we would atv to Grenville, and also travel the miles and miles of dirt roads, never knowing where the hell we were. Saw moose daily, and probably 100 rabbits daily.
We tromp all over the area.
Heading north is our normal MO but west has a ton of places to explore as well.

White water rafting on the upper Penobscot is definitely a fun thing to do. Bit of a ways from Greenville but an awesome ride if you take the dirt roads and the views of Katahdin are unbelievable.

No need. Run the river from the dam at Indian Pond. They launch from there. Huge power generation dam. We normally run to the Golden Rd to Ripogenus Dam then down to the power plant and gorge. Time for food at New England Outdoor Center and last trip was to Knife Edge Brewing. The view from their event center is just stunning.

I snowmobile. 😂

I used to, don't like the cold anymore
It’s nice being able to pick your day versus having the pressure of trailering or even just driving up to a rental.

Mid weeks are better anyway. Nobody around. Trails not all beat to hell. Restaurants slower. Speeding around sure is safer. I’ll tell you that. If I could only ride weekends I would have dropped the sport years ago. It’s just not fun.

It was Reds Lakeside then The Black Frog. f***ing crazy place. Total nut show. The owner started another famous place that the name escapes me now but arson couldn’t be proved and I’ll leave it at that.

The Black Frog, that was it.

The last time we were in there, some dude pulled his sea plane up to the dock, strolled in with his wife and sat down next to us. He had an iPad with him and I could see the Nav chart on it. I remember quietly, well trying to quietly make a remark about how the ipad had just been approved by the FAA for navigation use (early days of the ipad), and that it was some serious big dick energy flying your plane to go get lunch. He over heard me, laughed, and bought my girlfriend and I a few rounds of drinks while we sat and chatted with them. Ended up being the grandson of Igor Sirkorsky, Igor Sikorsky III. Owns Bradford Camps up near Ashland.

Last edited:
The Black Frog, that was it.

The last time we were in there, some dude pulled his sea plane up to the dock, strolled in with his wife and sat down next to us. He had an iPad with him and I could see the Nav chart on it. I remember quietly, well trying to quietly make a remark about how the ipad had just need approved by the FAA for navigation use (early days of the ipad), and that it was some serious big dick energy flying your plane to go get lunch. He over heard me, laughed, and bought my girlfriend and I a few rounds of drinks while we sat and chatted with them. Ended up being the grandson of Igor Sirkorsky, Igor Sikorsky III. Owns Bradford Camps up near Ashland.
The International Seaplane Fly In is by far the largest event of the year. Jimmy Buffet has been up along with some really cool planes.

No need. Run the river from the dam at Indian Pond. They launch from there. Huge power generation dam. We normally run to the Golden Rd to Ripogenus Dam then down to the power plant and gorge. Time for food at New England Outdoor Center and last trip was to Knife Edge Brewing. The view from their event center is just stunning.

Yes, we launched at the hydroelectric dam/station, how far is it to there from Greenville, I have travelled it a few times but never gave it any thought, just enjoyed the scenery. NEOC may require you to go to to their place at Abol Bridge for orientation, etc. (that is where we had to go even though we put in at the hydro dam).

Kinda neat, the Debsconeag Ice Caves are in that area, there was still plenty of ice when we went in August a couple years back.

That’s usually in Sept, this was late June or so. I’ve wanted to check that out.

An acquaintance of mine just opened an FBO on the lake, would be a good time to check that out at the same time.

We are never in a rush to get over to either dam. Moxie I did in about 30 minutes on my sled one day catching up to friends.
Truck trip is never been done in any rush. The Dyer and Upper Dyer is a fun trip. I can’t believe my truck isn’t scratched to shit. 😂

It’s nice being able to pick your day versus having the pressure of trailering or even just driving up to a rental.

Mid weeks are better anyway. Nobody around. Trails not all beat to hell. Restaurants slower. Speeding around sure is safer. I’ll tell you that. If I could only ride weekends I would have dropped the sport years ago. It’s just not fun.
I sold my sleds in 2005. I could only ride weekends and the trails were just full of a**h***s running flat out. My wife had a close call with said a**h***s and scared the shit out of us. Sold them when we got home and never looked back. It just wasn't fun anymore riding and worrying if the next corner some dick power sliding thru was gonna smash into us.

Back
Top Bottom