Road Trip and LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Boys. We have turned a simple question into a four page pissing match.

As for the MC question, in NJ it only states, as Scrivener pointed out..

1. The possession is legal in the state of origin; AND
2. Legal in the destination state.
And that presumes the transport requirements are complied with. That would mean stored in a secured case in an area not accessable to the driver which would mean some sort of locked bags. I would think those found on the Road King which can be locked are fine. However if the driver looked like her, we surely could discuss the matter further over drinks...

I currently have a LTC and am planning a trip accross Route 66, I was wondering, is it legal for me to carry from state to state?

Thanks
-James
Don't know if you've found it yet but this site appears to have an overview map and detailed driving instructions needed to recreate a Rt. 66 road trip. From this you can research carrying and transport laws for the states and major cities along the way via the links that other helpful people here have provided.

good luck

WRONG - the common consequence of passing on what you are told without actually checking its veracity.

One cannot legally carry in a state which requires a permit to do so without that permit or one which that state recognizes.

Further, one cannot even TRANSPORT legally unless:

And that presumes the transport requirements are complied with.

Still want to tell us how he "should be fine?" [rolleyes]

so your telling me you can not have a firearm locked in your trunk passing through a state, and arriving to a state you are lisenced in? I have never been pulled over and asked to open my trunk and or had my car searched in any state.

There are parts of Rt66 that still exist. RT 44/Rt66 but it would drive you nuts going on and off and the ruts would give you saddle sores. Be sure you ride the Chisom trail while your in Yukon,OK

I have not traveled all the way from Chigago to LA on Rt 66 but have done maybe half of it. Its see-nik to say the least. Quite a few areas you would be wise to carry protection.

Speaking of: If your on a motorcycle. How do you carry locked in a trunk?

Maybe a metal lock box bolted inside a saddlebag? Anybody have experance with this?

DO NOT DRIVE INTO SMOKE!

100_0279_small.jpg

How does one post an Advatar?

maybe a locked saddle bag.. i am sure there is some way you could.

so whos turn is it to flame the new guy.... if you plan to do so.. i will not be getting my membership to this forum.. whats the point.

so whos turn is it to flame the new guy.... if you plan to do so.. i will not be getting my membership to this forum.. whats the point.

Regrettably it's gotten where you need an extra thick skin around here! [rolleyes]

On any "road trips" across various states, I suggest that you read the wording in FOPA 1986 VERY, VERY CAREFULLY first.

It's bad enough that some officers in some states don't believe that Fed Law trumps their anti-2A laws, so there is no point in tempting fate. You might win in the long run, but it will cost you dearly to do so.

I am NOT an expert on FOPA, but my recommendation (yes, it is above what the law requires . . . to avoid hassle) on traveling thru states for which you do NOT possess a valid permit are:

- Gun locked with a trigger lock, AND
- In a locked case, AND
- In a locked trunk if said vehicle has a trunk OR stuffed behind the rear seat such that no driver or passengers have access to it while driving (for SUVs, Jeeps and Station Wagons only), AND
- Ammo locked up in trunk SEPARATELY, AND
- NO ammo in any magazines or clips! [This is the laws in some states, so best to be extra cautious in all.], AND
- Do NOT delay yourself in any states for which you do not have a valid permit or where possession might be viewed as otherwise illegal/questionable (stop only for food, water, gas and bathroom breaks), [e.g. possession of a Bushmaster or some Colts in CT, high cap mags in certain other states, etc.], AND
- Drive very courteously and do NOT bring attention upon yourself by the local constabulary.

I do believe that the above should keep you out of trouble. IANAL

HTH

Last edited:
- Drive very courteously and do NOT bring attention upon yourself by the local constabulary.

I do believe that the above should keep you out of trouble. IANAL

HTH

I agree but also think how sad it is that we have to in some ways act like we are criminals. The antis do there best to equate us with criminals and in many places they have succeeded greatly.[sad2]

I understand what you are saying and you are right, It is just sad IMO how CCW holders are looked at by many as bad guys or bad guys to be.

o your [sic] telling me you can not have a firearm locked in your trunk passing through a state, and arriving to a state you are lisenced [sic] in?

NO. Try actually reading what you copied and pasted:

Further, one cannot even TRANSPORT legally unless:

And that presumes the transport requirements are complied with.
Emphasis added to aid your reading comprehension.

Note that this issue has been discussed, in depth, on this and every other firearms forum. Note further that whether you have been stopped before is irrelevant to the issue.

Last edited:
Hey, Keith... why not knock off the gratuitous sarcasm? It may make you feel better to vent your spleen on folks, but it's not really very useful. Lighten up, will you? Take a valium before reading NES if you have to.

Hey, Keith... why not knock off the gratuitous sarcasm? It may make you feel better to vent your spleen on folks, but it's not really very useful. Lighten up, will you? Take a valium before reading NES if you have to.

Ross;

Valium may be necessary. I suggest you go back and:

1. Read this thread from the beginning;

2. Note Red Cow's very late entry into same;

3. Further note his utter obliviousness to the repitition of FOPA requirements; and

4. Note still further how often this subject has been addressed, in detail, on this forum ALONE.

You are also aware how extensively this subject has been covered just as often on other forums AND how easily the information can be had from both the GOAL and PDO sites, to name just two of many.

Thus presenting us with the repeated question of how much willful ignorance should we tolerate and for how long? Newbies with questions are one thing; intermeddlers who cannot - or will not - grasp the obvious are quite another.

I see we have reached different conclusions on that subject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom