• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RMV denying dozens of controversial vanity plate requests

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Seems about right for MA. Although I can't see wanting to draw attention to the fact that I'm a gun guy.
• If you’re eyeing a vanity play for yourself, tread lightly with gun references — neither the First nor the Second amendments are absolute when it comes to license plates. The less-than-subtle “TWOGUNS” or “LVGUNS” were both rejected. Same goes for “GUNRNR” and “GUNSHO.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...dozens_of_controversial_vanity_plate_requests

H7AID.jpg

this still makes me shake with laughter [laugh]

IMG_0031.jpg

But they allow this? One of my friends saw this license plate on a car in front of them. To be fair, I think this person got that plate way before Isis was even created. At least I hope.

Saw one a few years ago, no pic since I didn't have a camera or time on the pike. It was an Islands and Cape plate, registration AN69.

My first plate, on my VW Bug beach buggy conversion, was 151-NOW. Didn't ask for it, was just the one they pulled off the top of the pile. Damn, did I get pulled over a lot. Didn't even drink back then, but the town cops on the Cape flipping loved me.

My neighbor used to get the list of low number plates that were going up for grabs. Mass uses a lottery system. I almost put in one time because I69 was on the list.[laugh]

The less-than-subtle “TWOGUNS” or “LVGUNS” were both rejected. Same goes for “GUNRNR” and “GUNSHO.”

But "TWOGUNS" is too many letters because Mass only allows six characters. [rolleyes]

Only once have I seen an exception to this, it was a Mass plate with eight letters, which probably required some special decree from the governor, it was "WRENTHAM". I saw it back in the early 80's and it threw me for a loop, I was behind him at a stoplight and must have counted the letters several times to make sure I was hallucinating.

Back in the late 70's I saw a Mass vanity plate that somehow slipped by, but was later revoked due to complaints to the Registry. SMEGMA. It was on a white Corvette and I saw it in Newton, two blocks from where I grew up. I told my friends about it but they didn't believe me. Several years later, I found a picture and an article about it in Playboy (I read it for the articles). The guy lived in Harwich, he sent them a pic and told them he had it for about a year, then he received a letter from the Registry, stating that it was being revoked.
He was given the option of turning it in immediately, and they'd give him a 4 digit low number reserve plate in exchange, or let it expire and they won't allow renewal of the registration. So he did the logical thing, he let it expire and got another vanity plate. This way he didn't have to hand over the plates, and get's to keep them to hang on his wall.

NH had a few problems in recent years with some sketchy ones that got by.
They actually shut down the vanity plate program for a few months to revamp their policies.
On the new application form, it asks you what the meaning of the word is, even if it's plainly obvious.
But then again, it may be a swear word in Swahili or Hungarian and they'd never know without Googling it.

In addition to the extra characters NH allows, they are a bit more liberal with the subject matter than Mass is. Mass doesn't allow any alcohol references, but BEER, WINE and BOOZE are OK up here.

[thumbsup]

Last edited:
Many years ago I recall seeing "MUMSER" on a NH plate.

It is a Yiddish term meaning bastard.

In case NES stars the meaning, here's the PC definition found on the web.

Þ Mumser - someone who is born out of an improper marriage

A guy who drives a sweet 1969 Mustang has the plate MOAB. Registry said no and after a hearing, mother of all bombs, I mean, Mustang Owners Assoc. Boston was issued.
This was after World Trade Center attack.

Maine is looking to loosen their rules on allowable combinations:

Law change could make Maine vanity plates more risque

AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine motorists could be in for more eye-popping messages on the license plates of the cars ahead of them thanks to a 2015 law change that loosens the rules on what a vehicle’s plate can display.

The change means messages that were previously deemed too profane or offensive may now be allowed, according to Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap, who has the say over what goes on a state license plate.

What messages remain banned? For one, “No fighting words,” Dunlap said, explaining that when it comes to vanity plates, states have been facing increasing lawsuits from motorists who say their right to free speech is getting squelched.

>>

In Maine, the law changed after the state rejected a request from a breast cancer survivor for the plate “BQQBS.” The woman had asked for the plate in the state’s breast cancer awareness plate series, which features a pink ribbon.

>>

More than 101,000 vanity plates have been allowed in Maine.

It is unknown if, under the altered law, the state has approved plates that would have been rejected under the old law. Recently approved plates include “FOXYMEM” and “K9HEAT.”

So far in 2016, four plates including “KIS-MYSS” and three variants of the “BTCH” plate, including WHT and BLK, have been rejected or revoked.

A long list of variations on the spelling of the F-bomb, now banned, as well as “HOTDAM,” “HOTS,” “IDIOT,” “IDIOTS” and “MCDUDU” could be approved under the law change.

>>

A person who has a vanity plate request denied will have to make a specific request directly to the secretary of state’s office for reconsideration. It is at that point that the new language in the law will be taken into consideration, Dunlap said.

So, if you feel strongly about having the plate “DOINIT” or “IFART” on your car, you may still be able to “GO4IT.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/03/...ge-could-make-maine-vanity-plates-more-risque

Back
Top Bottom