• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Transfer to MA

My grandfather has a couple rifles and a shotgun that were recently given to him by a friend in MA. He wants to hand them over to me. Do I need to go through a dealer in NH to transfer them over to me? Not sure what kind of paper trail these have but they weren't transfered to my grandfather, just given face to face with no paperwork (friend was no longer able to have guns legally). Note: grandfather holds ltc in MA. I'm pretty sure I have to have it transfered under federal law but not 100%...

Fed Law:

Transfers between individuals who live in different states is Prohibited! [Only exception is inheritance and thus a live person doesn't qualify! [wink] ] All such transfers must be done by FFL (any state - if legal by state law for long guns and new owner's state for handguns).

Thus, the transfers must be done at NH FFL (since that is where you live). MGLs prohibit all FFL transfers to Non-Residents, so you can't do it in MA.

Yup, what Len said. Have him bring the guns to an FFL in NH and you guys can transfer them through the NH FFL. Pete's Gun and Tackle, in Hudson NH is a convenient place to do such transfers if your grandfather is in Eastern MA, as it's just over the NH/MA border and they charge a reasonable $30/gun.

What if the guns are in your family.

Such as my case, my dad lives in Florida. I have some guns that are still there, which are mine. He gave them to me years ago but I left them with him when I moved here. At some point I want to get them. I moved here over a year or so ago and was able to bring 3 handguns with me but at some point I need to get the rest of the stuff. What it sounds like is I may be screwed? I guess he could add my guns to his will. [thinking] ???

Are they >50 years old? Do you have a 03C&R FFL? If so you can log them in your book and take them (probably best they are brought up to NH).

If not, best thing is to have them brought to NH and have a FFL do the transfer.

What if the guns are in your family.

Such as my case, my dad lives in Florida. I have some guns that are still there, which are mine.

If they were legally yours when you moved up here, there's no problem because no transfer needs to happen. Bring them into MA any time you wish (as long as they're not post-ban assault weapons or NFA firearms, and you have the proper license for them), just fill out FA-10s for them when they get here.

But if they are actually still legally your father's guns, they'll need to go through an FFL.

Last edited:
If they were legally yours when you moved up here, there's no problem because no transfer needs to happen. Bring them into MA any time you wish (as long as they're not post-ban assault weapons or NFA firearms, and you have the proper license for them), just fill out FA-10s for them when they get here.

But if they are actually still legally your father's guns, they'll need to go through an FFL.

What is the definition of legally? If there is no need to report a transfer, who is to say who is the owner of the gun and when it changed?

What is the definition of legally? If there is no need to report a transfer, who is to say who is the owner of the gun and when it changed?

That is a good question (I was about to ask).

When I moved here with my handguns did I need to fill out FA-10's? The first week I was here I went to the local PD and got the info to get my permit but they said nothing about an FA-10.

What's NFA firearms...I checked the acronym list on the site and didn't see the def. :)

Last edited:
When I moved here with my handguns did I need to fill out FA-10's?

No, any guns you brought with you when you moved do not need an FA-10. Only guns you bring in later (either ones that were already yours, or long guns and C&R guns that you purchase out of state), and guns you sell in state, need them.

john said:
What's NFA firearms...

National Firearms Act guns (e.g. machine guns, short barreled rifles/shotguns, etc).

Back
Top Bottom