Rifle Scopes

So I think I have narrowed down my rifle selection to a savage 10fp in .308 (thanks to some great input and suggestions from everyone here).

Now I have to think about optics. There seem to be so many choices, I almost don't know where to start.
I was thinking about spending up to about 500 bucks on a scope, and was wondering if you all had any suggestions in that range (please note, if you have good suggestions that fall under 500, i am open to those too [grin] ).

As I stated before, the rifle will probably be used on the range out to about 300m on a regular basis.

Thanks again for all the help. This site has been an invaluable resource.

Steve

Steve,

There are SO many things to consider when buying a scope. One thing that I'm sure most of us here have learned is that it's not worth buying a cheap scope...I know most of us are more inclined to spend a little extra for a more quality optic. $500 is an excellent figure, as you can probably spend under that for a great scope.

A quality brand is something to consider...I know that personally, I use Leupold scopes...They are the best IMO, however I would not discount many other brands, as they are all high quality, as well. I've got one on all the rifles that I've bought. There are many different models of Leupolds, but therein lies your other considerations.

You also need to consider if you want a variable or fixed power scopes...I guess that depends on you. If you're shooting long ranges and want to zoom in a bit, you may want to consider a variable power scope.

You also need to consider what type of reticle you want to use. Here's a link from Leupold that explains many reticle types and their uses:

http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles.htm

There's also little things to consider like the focus...Spend a little more money, and many scopes offer a side focus, as opposed to the eyepiece focus.

Ok, I just ADD'd and I lost track of what I was saying [laugh] ...I hope this helped.

Also go to their sister site www.samplelist.com.
They have some great deals on demo items. For the money you are
talking you have several options, either some good stuff from Leupold,
Burris and Nikon, or even starting to venture into Zeiss and IOR.

F

I noticed from your other thread that the majority of your shooting will be known-distance, paper-punching, range shooting. I would take Dave's advice from above before you decide.

The Tasco SS is decent enough glass for the money if you're trying to look like a sniper. It is not the best power and reticle for target shooting, plinking or even hunting.

Last edited:
My Super Sniper is a fixed 10 power and is great for the 100 yard range I shoot at. I can see .204 shells sitting on the berm just fine. Beyond 100 yards though you'll probably want to go with a higher power magnification and maybe a smaller reticle than the mil dot the SS has.
It looks pretty fine here:

Dscf0011.jpg

but I imagine it would cover any small objects you may want to hit at distances such as 200/300 yards, making for a tougher shot.

I like the idea of a fixed power scope because less parts moving means less things to go wrong. These scopes have been reported to be very tough and durable too. More so than scopes that cost 2 and 3 times as much. I've read about people dropping them and still having them function fine where as they'd drop a high end Leupold or Weaver and have them be ruined.
I know if I was spending over $300 on a scope, I'd want it to be able to take a little abuse. You might be as gentle with it as a carton of eggs, but accidents happen.

So yeah one more thumbs up for the SS series with the only drawback being the mil dot reticle. They have versions in 10, 16, and 20 power. If you're used to a mil dot reticle though you may have great success with one of these scopes.

spend some of your hard earned cash and buy a quality scope.going the cheap route will only lead to buying a different scope.
imho i feel the Leupold's are the best for the price,the warranty they provide is top notch.plus they're made in America by Americans.
some other high quality scopes are..
kales
leica
zeiss
burris
overall this is just my opinion on scopes.

Back
Top Bottom