Rifle reloading

Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. I am moving into rifle reloading now as well. Man this is getting out of control. Shotshell, pistol, now rifle? What's next a store? Here's my question. I am going to reload .223 and .308. What is a good powder for either of those? Clean, least smokey, you know the drill. I will be in the dungeon awaiting the answer.

I can't help you with 223 but Varget, IMR3031, RL15, RL19 and n550 work well for me with 308. Varget is very popular and temp stable as well as being clean.

I've had decent luck with a Varget load for .223, I've also read good things about RL-15 for .223 but I haven't been able to match the performance of the Varget load yet.

H4895 is a pretty good all around powder. I use it for my .222, it's not a .223 but pretty close. I also use it in my 30-06, and it seems to be really clean.

Varget is the gold standard for both .223 and .308. Reloder 15 will give you higher speed if your looking for that. I have some VV #550 that is suposed to work well but aside from opening it to see what it looked like, have never tried it. I've been loading some Accurate 2460 for my .223 and it works well in my AR-15 out to 600 yards. I did some testing two years ago and it shot really well out of my .308 Palma rifle at 200 yards but never tried it at any long distance. I like the Accurate because I can drop the charges using my Harrels measure and have full faith in them.

I use Winchester 748 for most of my rifle calibers including those two. I use it because it works in many rifle calibers and because I want to use a ball powder.

Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. I am moving into rifle reloading now as well. Man this is getting out of control. Shotshell, pistol, now rifle? What's next a store? ...

Bazooka?... [rofl]

But it sounds like you're having fun, Bob. (My set-up built around your uncle's rig is slowly coming together. Hope I can stay with my original plan for a single caliber, though. Sounds like it could become a contagious habit. [smile])

Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. I am moving into rifle reloading now as well. Man this is getting out of control. Shotshell, pistol, now rifle? What's next a store? Here's my question. I am going to reload .223 and .308. What is a good powder for either of those? Clean, least smokey, you know the drill. I will be in the dungeon awaiting the answer.

AA2230. Great powder!

What press do you use with 3031. I had to stop using it because it got stuck in the neck of those tiny .223 cases. I load all my .223 on a Dillon 650 and went to a ball powder.

I still have a pound of 3031 from ages back, when I still loaded .303 (still have 100 virgin Norma cases).

It sucked in my Lyman thrower; it was like cutting pencil leads. Accurate powders are a dream by comparison. ReLoder 7 is noticeably coarser than 2230, yet 3031 makes it look like talcum powder by comparison.

When i reload my .223 i don't tend to go fast, i remember one time where I went to let the handle back up, and i did it to fast any some powder did not have enough time to funnel into the brass. But if i stay at a steady speed, and listen for the powder to fall in, i don't have a problem

What press do you use with 3031. I had to stop using it because it got stuck in the neck of those tiny .223 cases. I load all my .223 on a Dillon 650 and went to a ball powder.

Back
Top Bottom