Rifle rack

Chuck

NES Member
I'm going to build a rifle rack to better organize the safe. I was wondering about the material that the barrels and stocks are going to be leaning against. I'll have to stain the wood with something. What's friendly to both blued and parkerized barrels and variously treated furniture?

thanks,
Chuck

I recently faced the same dilemna. I couldn't find anything suitable on line, so I made something simple myself.

I used these:

http://images.lowes.com/product/079325/079325713506.jpg

I built wooden frame out of 2x3's and screwed those "Y hooks" in for barrel rests. Worked out very well. The 2x3's are a perfect width for an offset so that scoped rifles fit in. The hooks are 2.5", so you can figure from there how many you can fit on any given linear length. The vinyl coating shouldn't harm barrels or wood. So far I'm happy with it. If you'd like, and I can get a picture of what I built.

EDIT> The only thing that didn't quite fit into the Y hook was my 12ga SxS. I just used some brute force and opened the Y a little bit. Problem solved!

I have this rack in my basement. Its what I use to keep rifles steady before/after cleaning untill I put them away.

08f8f97a.jpg

I used a similar design in my vault, but cut the holes closer together.

rack2.jpg

The type of rack was copied from what I've seen in most gun shops and at shows. Its easy to make out of pine boards, just let the stain dry for at least a few days before laying any rifles against it.

Ray,

Believe it or not, I also looked through the pics of your vault when I was deciding on what to do with mine. Do you have any rifles with scopes? When I tried to do something like yours, I found that the top part needed to be offset from the wall 2-3 " in order to accomodate the scope. Did you find a way around that?

Bob

Ray,

Believe it or not, I also looked through the pics of your vault when I was deciding on what to do with mine. Do you have any rifles with scopes? When I tried to do something like yours, I found that the top part needed to be offset from the wall 2-3 " in order to accomodate the scope. Did you find a way around that?

Bob

The pine boards I used are wide enough to where it keeps scopes about an inch to 1/2 inch from the wall. You also have to set the butt of the rifle further away from the wall but they fit ok.

Gun Rack for safe

OK, it ain't pretty, but it wasn't meant to be. I made it in about 45 minutes and cost less than $20. I used 2x3's, and some "Y hooks" (See my previous post in this thread for a link to the Y Hooks. They are vinyl coated, so should do no harm to either the steel or wood of the guns, and are 2.5" wide) I oriented the 2x3's as pictured so I could stand scoped guns nearly vertical without the scopes hitting the wall of the safe:

IMG_1066.jpg

The scopes stand off the guns by about 2', so they tuck under the 2x3 almost perfectly:

IMG_1064.jpg

The other non scoped guns sit pretty good too:

IMG_1065.jpg

and I use the tops of the 2x3's as a small shelf for various small items:

IMG_1063.jpg

And it is all mounted in the safe without having to nail or screw into the wall of the safe. I made the 2 side pieces, and then screwed the back piece across the top, locking the side pieces into place. I also used a zip tie through the shelf stanchion to hold the forward part of the side pieces tight to the safe wall. As it sits now, it will hold 17 long guns, but I think I could probably get a couple more along the back wall. I also used an old hockey stick shaft as a mount for a GoldenRod.

As you can probably tell, I'm a function over form kind of guy. [smile]

Now I have to go put the rest of the guns back in. [wink]

Last edited:
I notice no one is talking about storing barrel down. Seems a lot of folks have espoused that as the best storage method. Just an old wives tale?

-= chuck

I notice no one is talking about storing barrel down. Seems a lot of folks have espoused that as the best storage method. Just an old wives tale?

-= chuck

I did for a while when I used sheet metal safes. Only problem is with the muzzle blocked up, you increase more chance of possible rust in the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom