Rifle match at Harvard - 11/7 -

Thanks to Dan and the entire HSC board for letting us have this rifle match. It was a great time, even though I was nowhere near the targets at 300 yards (Came in zeroed for 50 and had no adjustments set for anything longer). Had a great time. Also nice to see NES-154 in my squad.

Awesome match today! Thanks to the HAS crew for putting this on. I only wish there were more of these every year!

Vellnueve, I'm with you...no where near the long targets...I had my 50 yard zero with irons...made 2 hits at 200, that was it.
Oh well, had fun anyways.

Steve

Same thing. 2 hits at 200 from sitting and I was done. Should have just taken those two hits and moved to the sandbags at 200, skipping the 300 yard shot. Oh well.

To the Harvard crew, a hearty Thank You! for fun match today. Dan Hurley, as usual was a great R.O. Squad 5 was awesome to shoot with!
I don't know if I'll make the "Frostbite" match in January, though.

Great time today. I must reiterate the praises of everyone. Thanks for another one guys!

I even got a sunburn on my face!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post.
I'm glad Harvard had the 200-300 yard stage. That brought up to a rifle match, not simply a pistol match with long barrels [cheers]

Dave,
If you came out and played with the rifle, you'd have found out..[smile]

I was doing my job for NRA and all of us... Basic Pistol class. But man did it stink being indoors on a day like yesterday!!

BUT! Since I took an extended lunch break today and went to HSC for some practice... I got the word from the big cheese!! [smile]

Did better than I expected... for the first time shooting an AR in a match, not bad. The only other USPSA event I'd shot with a rifle was the New Bedford milsurp match last year with an M1 carbine.

Matt,
Did you call in the air strike on stage 7?

Wish I could have. The equipment I decided to use was not approved for the 300 so I was unable to participate on that stage. Thus my match score includes zero points for stage 7. But I did pretty well on stage 6 with the texas star and 8" plates! No penalties.

I had an awesome time at the match as I do with every Harvard match. On stage five I had a malfunction. I made the decision to put a shock buff in the rifle the night before the match. It ran fine with 30 rounders but when I put the 40 in the buff caused it to short stroke. I ended up wasting time clearing three jams and then threw a 30 in it and finished the stage. After, I removed the buff and shot the rest of the match with the 40 problem free. You think I would have learned by now to NOT mess with the equipment the night before without testing! [laugh]

Wish I could have. The equipment I decided to use was not approved for the 300 so I was unable to participate on that stage. Thus my match score includes zero points for stage 7. But I did pretty well on stage 6 with the texas star and 8" plates! No penalties.

I shot stage 7, but zero'ed it, the 8 moa dot zero'ed in at 25' apparently is not made for precision shooting, although I was told I was just missing to the left. Stage 6 went smooth after I took a sighter,
I was a fun match. I would have like a hoser stage or 2
something like 30 rounds in under 6s

Last edited:
The long range stuff helps equalize it for us older guys.
I would have liked more targets on the l.r. stage....to help us out.

Last edited:
I came into the match completely unprepared for a 200-300 yard stage because that had been the vibe I'd gotten. I'd never shot this rifle at that range. Had I known, I would have used a different rifle that I regularly use at longer ranges.

I dont know about you but, When I hear RIFLE match, I think distance and a RIFLE and shooter should be capable of at least a 250 yd shot or two.

If I heard CARBINE match, well then I'd think shorter distances would prevail and would require shorter tools.

Some of these "Rifle" matches I've seen here lately I could have place well in using my 1911 .40

I like the longer stuff also, I didn't want all the stages to be burners, just a couple to really get the brass flyin'. But I appreciate all the hard work the Harvard crew put into the match. It was definitely fun

I shot stage 7, but zero'ed it, the 8 moa dot zero'ed in at 25' apparently is not made for precision shooting, although I was told I was just missing to the left. Stage 6 went smooth after I took a sighter,
I was a fun match. I would have like a hoser stage or 2
something like 30 rounds in under 6s

25 feet??? At 25 yds (I'm assuming an AR variant) your 2nd zero would be somewhere arround 225yds right? In which case at 300 yds you would need a pretty high hold no? I'm just trying to understand all this rifle stuff.

25 feet??? At 25 yds (I'm assuming an AR variant) your 2nd zero would be somewhere arround 225yds right? In which case at 300 yds you would need a pretty high hold no? I'm just trying to understand all this rifle stuff.

Mike and Rob should have been about 2.6" low at 25 feet. That would have put them on the 200 yard plate if held a bit high.
Rifle stuff is easy....it's just a bunch of numbers, and wind, and lighting...[smile]

Last edited:
The long range stuff helps equalize it for us older guys.
I would have liked more targets on the l.r. stage....to help us out.

not necessarily
age doesnt slow down how fast you pull a trigger, till you're old and decrepit and have all the arthritis bending your fingers shut, and at that point, you're not going to be worried about shooting.
you can set up hosing stages that require a bunch of targets from just a few spots real close together so there isn't any advantage on someone who is younger and can run faster.
but hey, life isn't equal, our equipment isn't equal, vision isn't equal, but the targets and stages are the same for everyone, thats about as equal as you can get.
I wish i was taller, but thats not gonna change.

as for rifle matches and thinking distance, not with all the different disciplines out there. i hear pistol matches, i dont think bullseye.

and it's always fun to bring out the other toys that dont get used much.

Something like that. I was able to hit at 200 yards but 300... complete crapshoot. I fired a bunch of rounds off aiming high, making damn sure it was going nowhere near the top of the berm nor hitting the ground, but couldn't get close. I need to go over my ballistics tables again (and I need a chronograph)

Back
Top Bottom