Rifle match at Harvard - 11/7 -

The Harvard Rifle Match is one of the best of the season. Any information on the course of fire would be greatly appreciated.

Is it just like any other Harvard/USPSA monthly match in terms of logistics? How much ammo do you bring to a rifle match? What kind of round count do you have per stage?

Like any match, bring about 200 rounds, extra mags and mag carriers. There is never any info on course of fire. Rumors, maybe, but that's it.

Derek, where'd you pull that quote from? I couldn't find another post on the match anywhere. Is this a tactical match?

Thanks for the other info.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

This is very much like a normal monthly local USPSA pistol match, except the barrels are longer. We don't provide any stage details because the stages are generally designed only a day or two in advance. The round count will likely be somewhere around 150. Bring extra in case you need to re-shoot a stage. Like most matches, if you bring 300 rounds, you'll definitely have enough for yourself, and probably a few extra for your buddy who only brought 120.

If you do not have experience with USPSA/IPSC matches, this is really not a good place for your first match exposure. USPSA events have a very strict format for range commands and safety protocol. It is best to have experience with that format before adding the rifle to the equation.

Hi Guys,

This is very much like a normal monthly local USPSA pistol match, except the barrels are longer. We don't provide any stage details because the stages are generally designed only a day or two in advance. The round count will likely be somewhere around 150. Bring extra in case you need to re-shoot a stage. Like most matches, if you bring 300 rounds, you'll definitely have enough for yourself, and probably a few extra for your buddy who only brought 120.

If you do not have experience with USPSA/IPSC matches, this is really not a good place for your first match exposure. USPSA events have a very strict format for range commands and safety protocol. It is best to have experience with that format before adding the rifle to the equation.
Thanks Dan!

Hi Guys,

Sounds good.

if you click on the sticky note beside the match on the matches page of uspsa-ne.org, you'll see where he got that.

i'm sure it will be running around blasting things and include all the fun the harvard action shooters put into their matches

Just got a new 1050 in .223 and am cranking out ammo. I may even get some time to practice. Only problem I can see is having to clean the f-ing gun.
See you there

What you gonna do if they have poppers at 300 yards? [shocked] Call in an airstrike? [smile]

Spray and prey? [laugh]

I think I recall sombody saying there were not going to be any long range shots like there have been in years past. If there are I am bummin because I already made my mind up on what I am going to have fun with. [wink] At least the prizes are the same for everyone!

I am interested in shooting this match. I've shot plenty of pistol matches, but never a rifle match.
I have an AR to play with, but no mag carriers or other gear.
Am I going to be OK pulling a mag from my back pocket for the match? Im not looking to be super competitive, just to have some fun.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
That style of mag carrier will work!
Normally magazines are supposed to be carried on a belt, for pistol that is. For long gun use, they're carried everywhere, arms, chest, clamped mags, etc.

Steve,
That style of mag carrier will work!
Normally magazines are supposed to be carried on a belt, for pistol that is. For long gun use, they're carried everywhere, arms, chest, clamped mags, etc.

Sweet. Would I be ok with 2 30rd mags for any given stage, or would more be better?

Thanks again,
Steve

I ordered a mag carrier that I'll just clip to my belt... Not gonna put together some tacticool outfit just for one match. If there's no long stage I guess I'll use my M4gery (will lighten it up beforehand, though, there's too much crap hanging on the rails), and will keep the full-length rifles available for backup.

I ordered a mag carrier that I'll just clip to my belt... Not gonna put together some tacticool outfit just for one match.

This will be a perfect set up for you. That is all I have done for several years now. One in the gun and two on the belt (or pocket) just in case you have a problem with one of them. No need for all the extra tactical equipment.

You'll have a great time! I am looking forward to this match.

This will be a perfect set up for you. That is all I have done for several years now. One in the gun and two on the belt (or pocket) just in case you have a problem with one of them. No need for all the extra tactical equipment.

You'll have a great time! I am looking forward to this match.

You mean I won't need a sling and rail mounted flashlights????? [rofl]

Some of the stages might be a little over 30 rounds, so only one extra mag unless you drop one. I have a clip on holder and might put a mag in a pocket. Or sometimes I use one of those things that clips two mags together. But I tend just to drop the whole thing while reloading.

I'm pretty sure we won't be using the 200-300 yd range. Longest shots will probably be 85yds. (but they might be small targets at that distance) [smile]

Only other USPSA rifle match I've done was the milsurp one at New Bedford last year, and that was with an M1 Carbine (although it was funny when the carbine blew out the entire inside perforated areas of one of the targets and the Garands weren't doing it at the same distance)

Back
Top Bottom