• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rhode island

massashoot shyt aka taxachusetts aka commonwealth.
i may be movi ng out there rent is very affordable... does anyone have any ideas what the gunlaws are like compared 2 mass?? i have gotten my license from a red city and got hit with the "wait 2 years to carry" bs now if i move do i have to reapply or do i jus transfer?? neva encounterd this situation so...any input is helpfull...

You don't "transfer" licenses to your new state. Once you become a resident of a new state you have to re-apply there.

RI is currently in flux. You can get a carry permit either from a town PD or the AG's office. Several towns including Providence have recently started issuing permits. The easiest thing to do is go through the AG's office. You need to show 'proper purpose', but being a collector has been ruled as such. Try these guys - http://www.cralri.com/

I can carry in 35 states; my home state isn't one of them. I was turned down by the AG for insufficient showing of need (appeal pending). If the denial stands, I'll go through the city; $240 and I have to cop to the AG denial.

If you must move to RI, choose your town carefully. Better yet, move to a free state where you won't have to worry about silly things.

I moved from MA to RI a few years back. Smartest thing I've done in a while. :)

No restrictions on rifles or shotguns, except for no SBRs or silencers. So those 'evil' MA features are indeed allowed here. Stock up on post ban mags, get a collapsible stock and flash hider, and maybe find a nice bayonet for that new lug.

Pistols are a bit trickier. Apply for the Blue Card (can be done at most gun shops, sadly Dick's Sporting Goods doesn't) so you can purchase handguns. Once you do that, look into applying for a ccw. Some towns you'll have no problem going to the local PD and getting it. For Providence and most areas around it, you'll have better luck going to the AG's office and applying there. Applying at the AG's is also tricky, and can be hard at times. You'll also need to provide fingerprints, notarization, and qualify to get the ccw.

Overall, RI is much better than MA. May I suggest Competition Shooters in Pawtucket. I got my Blue Card there; great guy who knows a lot, usually a good yet small selection, but he'll special order anything you need.

Back
Top Bottom