• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver .357 vs .38special vs .38

Catoperat

NES Member
My finacee recently received her LTC-A /No Restrictions. The deal was, she gets the license, I buy 1/2 her first gun [grin]. She picked out a very nice S&W 686 plus in .357 (i'm sure we'll all see pictures soon [smile]) from First Defense.

My question:
I know you can shoot .357 ammo out of it, but what is the difference between .38 and .38 special other than cartridge length? Can you shoot either out of it or just the .38 special?

I'm a little confused.

Thanks for any input!

Are you asking if you can also shoot other types of .38 besides .357 magnum and .38 special? Like .38 s&w or .38 colt ?

I'm pretty sure you cannot shoot other types of .38 but one of the more knowledgeable folks will be by soon to confirm or deny.

for as long as I have owned S&W K frame magnum revolvers, I have been told it is .357Mag or .38spl only, or variants of .38spl such as .38spl+p

(so you can't shoot .380. .357Sig, .38 super. etc etc etc)

Last edited:
They won't even chamber...........[thinking]

true, but if he knows that he can't shoot it, A)he won't buy it and find it out the hard expensive way that it won't work or B) get out the "ford wrench" and try to beat it into the cylinder finding out the hard and expensive way that it won't work!

They won't even chamber...........[thinking]

Uhhhh, yes they will. You probably never even tried.....
hammer.jpg

.38 ACP and Super will chamber

Huh??
38 super is a long 9mm ( I think it measures about 9*20-ish). It is for autos. I don't see any way you'd be able to use this in any revolver, unless it were specifically set up to use moon clips.

It also take a 9mm bullett (IIRC it is a .355) IIRC the 38/357 is appx .356.

The simple answer would be, to just don't do it..

Huh??
38 super is a long 9mm ( I think it measures about 9*20-ish). It is for autos. I don't see any way you'd be able to use this in any revolver, unless it were specifically set up to use moon clips.

It also take a 9mm bullett (IIRC it is a .355) IIRC the 38/357 is appx .356.

The simple answer would be, to just don't do it..

He didn't say to shoot them, but they will chamber - even without moonclips. Both the .38 Super and the .38 ACP are semi -rimmed cases.

BUT I REPEAT - DON'T try shooting them out of a .38/.357!

After shooting 38spl, be sure to clean your cylinder before going to 357 Mag. The shorter rounds will leave a ring, making it difficult to chamber the longer 357. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom