revisiting electronic powder scales, please

greencobra

NES Member
almost 2 years ago i posted i saw no reason to replace my rcbs 505, the only scale i've used since i started reloading. now i want to go electronic. i've searched out the other threads on this and get the usual 3 or 4 answers. but the dillon d-terminator seems to be the one mentioned most often and comments are generally favorable. so, i've decided, the dillon. it's $139. for that money can i do any better? and just for hell of it, have any of you d-terminator owners fallen out of love with it for any reason? just looking for input before i commit. procrastination is a horrible thing to live with.

I'm a Dillon guy...but save your money. If they are all accurate to 0.1 (one tenth) grains...and they are, what does it matter how much you paid for it ?

I splurged and bought the "nice" Franklin Arsenal scale for $80...is it any better than the $25 one it replaced...not really...I guess I just felt like spending money on something I didn't really need.

Is battery or plug in?
How does it do under flrescent lights and temp changes?
I have had a few scales over the years my best was a Ohous ?? It was fancy and I got it from a closing pharmacy. Down side you needed to keep it on. It was tough to use. Touchy and finally the led screen went

I bought the lyman gen 6 compact. Working out well
I still drop most of my charges from the powder measure though

I have a crappy $15 one I use 90% of time to do a sanity check. Mostly between batches when not changing anything. For nice stuff I have a Chargemaster and I love it.

How much is a lifetime warranty worth to you?? The Dillon offers that. I don't believe any of the others do.

I was looking to get a solid digital scale this past summer since the cheap one I had went AWOL. I ended up looking online and then just went to Shooters to see what they had in stock. Walked away with the Dillon mostly due to how they're all pretty much the same for accuracy, but the Dillon offers the lifetime warranty. I'm using mine plugged into the wall power, so I don't need to worry about batteries.

It's about to get some use before Monday. :)

I have this unit. It works great and drops a charge as quick as it takes me to seat a projectile. I have loaded a few thousand rounds with it. Excellent for the money..
Same here. When I got it I did a test run of 200 drops of 4 different powders. 85% right on the money and every one of the others was within .1 grains +/- the intended weight.

I have this unit. It works great and drops a charge as quick as it takes me to seat a projectile. I have loaded a few thousand rounds with it. Excellent for the money..

Same here. When I got it I did a test run of 200 drops of 4 different powders. 85% right on the money and every one of the others was within .1 grains +/- the intended weight.
i was just looking at this scale. some comments said it doesn't work well with finer powders. any comments on this pro or con?

This used to be considered a good unit:

Gempro | My Weigh | The best digital scales on earth

Check around and see what reloaders have to say about it lately--I have no idea.

This scale will weigh to 2 HUNDREDTHS of a grain. Don't get all Aspergers/OCD and expect the numbers to the right of the decimal place to ever "stabilize". The scale will record the "weight" of your breathing. You only need to be accurate to the tenth--if that.

Whichever brand electronic scale you get, the main enemies to accurate data are air currents, vibration, and electromagnetic interference/fields.

Line Noise Filter for Reloading Scales within AccurateShooter.com

One of these days I'll invest in an electronic dispenser. Using a scoop and a small battery powder scale gets old. I probably should have looked around for Black Friday deals. That Lyman one looks decent though.

Back
Top Bottom